What is Fencing?
Fencing can be very complicated. I fence Saber, but there are other types like Foil and Épée. In foil, its the lightest of all 3, points are scored with only the tip of the foil and the target is from the hip up - excluding the arms and head. In Epee, its the heaviest of the three, points are scored with only the point of the sword and the target is the entire body. In Sabre, about as heavy as a foil, points are scored with the point and the sides of the sabre, the target is from the waist up-excluding the hands. I personally don’t know whatsoever anything about Foil and Épée fencing. I am going to try to describe as much as I can about Saber fencing as possible. In sabre, it is generally easier to attack than to defend. It all depends on the right of way. Basically, the right of way is determined by considering which fencer attacked first. There are many ways to get the right of way.
In fencing, the strip (also known as the “Piste”) is the playing area. The strip is about 14 meters long and is about 1.5 - 2 meters wide. There are hash marks on the last two meters of the strip, which are called the warning lines. The warning lines are supposed to warn the fencer before he/she backs off the end of the strip. The Strip is also marked at the centre and at the "en garde" lines, located two metres either side of the center line.
My Very First Tournament
There are two types of people that you would compete against. There are the screamers and the criers. I am a crier. At fencing tournament's it can get very hectic. At my first big competition, I was very overwhelmed and didn't know what to expect at all. I just sat there, waiting for the judge to call my name. All I heard was loud screams and cries from every part of the room. When I was called up for my first match (also known as a "Bout") I was freaking out. All I could hear was my heart thumping like crazy. I stared at my opponent as I saluted them and the judge. Next thing you would hear is "Ready… Fence!" It's like a race. Waiting for the gun to go off.
I remembered my component was a girl that kept charging at me and screaming. That probably was the scariest thing I had every experienced in my life. I had won my first bout. In fact, I had won all of them except for one. I had tied for 3rd on my very first fencing competition. I had never been so happy about a sport in my life. This had all been last year. The funny thing is, is that i'm fencing in the same competition this weekend. Wish me luck.
Keywords:
Advance- To take a fencing step forward
Retreat- To take a fencing step back
Lunge- One way to deliver an attack



Hi Alexi,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you used detail to explain how you felt on the first fight you did. How did you get into fencing? Great blog.
-Vinny
Hey Vinny,
DeleteMy mom had introduced me to fencing. I watched a class at one of the fencing clubs in Portland, and I immediately liked it.
-Lexi
Hey Lexi,
ReplyDeleteNice post! Fening is obviously very important to you! I like how you told all about the differnt types of swords. How long have you been fencing for?
-Lois
Hey Lois,
DeleteThanks! I have been fencing for about 2 1/2- 3 years now.
-Lexi
Hi Lexi,
ReplyDeleteI can see that you are very skilled at fencing if you got 3rd at your first competition
I wish you some (late) luck in your competition.
-Nicholas
Hi Lexi,
ReplyDeleteYou are clearly a very good fencer I joined you in one of you lessons and I used the Saber, fencing is a lot of fun. How did you decide that you wanted to fence? Were there any really experienced fencers that taught you? I would not be surprised if you had a really good fencer teach you. What was your most proud competition?
What was your best competition?
DeleteHi Claire,
DeleteMy mom had been the one to introduce me to fencing. I watched a couple classes and I immediately liked it. I just had the fencing instructors teach me. I took private classes with them. My best competition was probably Seattle. I went to the competition in seattle about a week ago and I placed 4th. The people that I had fenced were much more experienced than me and I was proud of how I did.
-Lexi
Hi Lexi!
ReplyDeleteAs I was reading your blog post, I could tell that you really enjoyed fencing. How did you come to start fencing? Did anyone inspire you?
-Katie Wei
Hi Katie!
DeleteOnce again, my mom had introduced me to fencing and I watched a few classes then immediately knew I would like it. No one inspired me to start fencing.
<3 Lexi
Lexi,
ReplyDeleteI love your post! Is fencing something you plan on doing for the rest of your life? And how did you decide that you were going to play such a rare sport?
Marisa
Hiiii Marisa,
DeleteThanks! I'm planning on sticking to fencing, but I really don't know how my future will turn out. I might someday lose interest in it. I decided to start fencing because I thought it was different or "rare", it would be a fun experience.
-Lexi
Hey Lexi,
ReplyDeleteI like your post, because me not knowing anything about fencing can read it and then understand fencing. I like how you talked about your experience with your tournament.
Is practicing fencing just like fencing with someone over and over?
Nice Post,
-Wyatt
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi Wyatt,
DeleteThanks. Yeah, I would say practice is almost like fencing someone over and over again. All we do is fence each other, we don't really learn that many new techniques at this point.
-Lexi
Hey Alexie,
ReplyDeleteGreat Post! I liked it because I did not know anything about fencing before I read this. Does fencing ever make you hurt or sore? Are you ever fed up with it?
Much love
Alex
Hi Alex,
DeleteThanks! A tournament can make you very sore for about 1-2 days. Yes, it can be very frustrating a lot of the time.
More love
-Lexi
Hi Lexi,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I liked it because it was extremely well written and managed to convey both your interest in fencing and your careful research. I just have a few questions:
How did you get into fencing?
How did you research this?
What role has fencing played in history?
Thanks,
ACP
Hi Avi,
DeleteThanks! My mom had introduced me to fencing, then I took a free class. I thought it would be fun to fence because of how uncommon it is. All I know is there was sword- play back then, it was somewhat like fencing.
-Lexi
Hi Lexi I was wondering how you got into fencing and why you stayed with it? Very fun read.
ReplyDeleteEliot
Hi Eliot,
DeleteMy mom first introduced it to me, then I took a free class. I loved the people there and I knew it was something that I wanted to learn. Since it is such an uncommon sport I found it very intriguing.
-Lexi
Hi Lexie!
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! How do you practice? Would you use other blades or not? I liked how you had so much description!
Hey Spencer,
DeleteThanks! When we practice, all we do is bout (which is a fencing match). I usually just use sabre but one day I might want to try the others.
-Lexi
Hi Alexie, This a was a great blog post.I liked how you explained the different techniques like lunging,retreating and those things.I have a few questions.Who introduced you to fencing?IS it you favorite sport?What is the most difficult thing about fencing?What are a few pointers you can give to use beginners?Besides that,great blog post.You must be a great fencer
ReplyDelete-Malik
Hi Malik,
DeleteThanks. My mom had introduced me to fencing. Sadly, fencing isn't my favorite sport but I still have a strong affinity for it. The most difficult thing about fencing is probably the foot work, it can get very complicated. All I can say to the beginners is to stick with it. I started hating fencing right after I started it, then when I got moved up to the next level and I started competing I loved it:).
-Lexi
Hi Alexie,
ReplyDeleteI liked how in this post you talked about the facts about fencing and you personal experience with the sport. I also liked the pictures of the different swords. I was wondering a couple things about fencing, who introduced you to the sport? Also, if I were to start fencing how long would it take before I was ready for my first tournament?
Hi I don't know who you are,
DeleteThanks! My mom had been the one to introduce me to fencing. For me, it took a while for me to get into tournaments. But for others it can only take a few weeks for them to get into it.
-Lexi
Hi Alexie,
ReplyDeleteI like how you explained all the different kinds of words, techniques, swords (if thats what you call them), and all the things you would need to know if you were about to fence. How long have you been fencing? How many (if any) tournaments have you gone to? What first got you interested in fencing?
Superb job,
~Grace
Hi Grace,
DeleteThanks! I have been fencing for about two and a half years now. I've been to 4 big competitions and several in-house tournaments. My mom introduced fencing to me and I thought it would be fun because it is such an uncommon sport.
-Lexi
Lex,
ReplyDeleteI like your post about fencing. I remember trying it with you, and being terrible. It's really hard! I would like to know about the muscles used in fencing. What is the hardest move you can do? I really love the part about the screamers!
Mahala :)
Hi Mhay,
DeleteThanks! Your dominant arm and your legs are what you would use the most. I really don't know that many complicated move, but i'm gonna have to say the Passata Sotto. It's where you would attack then drop below your opponent's blade and attack from beneath (if that made any sense).
-Lexi
Hello Lexi,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post, even though I don't really know anything about fencing. I think it's great that you feel so passionate about this. It really draws the reader right into the story. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks!
~Sydney
Hi Alexie,
ReplyDeleteI liked this post and fencing sounds very interesting I like how much you described this sport and from the pictures you displayed it looks very hard. How many different techniques are their to fencing though?
-Jake
Hi Jake,
DeleteThanks! There are many techniques in fencing. I really don't know the exact number of techniques/moves but I can tell you there are more than 100.
-Lexi
Hi Lexi!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post. I liked how you described your 1st tournament. What is it like competing against a "Crier"? Why do you like fencing? Nice job.
Cordially,
-KAT
Hi Kat,
DeleteThanks! Well it's not as bad as competing against a crier as it is to fence a screamer. Screamers are horrifying and obnoxious. But that's just my oppinion.
-Lexi
Hi Alexie,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you wrote about your passion of fencing. You included a lot of the rules which is good and made me understand the game of fencing even more.
Nice Job!
Aiden
Hi Alexi,
ReplyDeleteNice post! It's nice how you explained fencing, and the key at the bottom really helped. Did anyone inspire you to start fencing? Is there a professional fencing league? If so, do you plan to join it when you grow up? Nice post!
thanks,
Matthew
Hi Matthew,
DeleteNobody really inspired me to start fencing. I'm really not looking into professional fencing leagues right now, but I plan on fencing in college.
-Lexi
Hi Alexie,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very informative post, I once tried fencing, but I didn't really like it. The way you wrote the rules and stuff as if you were talking to a beginner was really helpful for people like me to understand the ways of the game. What is the hardest thing for you about fencing...and does it hurt at all?
Harry
Hi Harry,
DeleteThanks! The hardest thing is probably the footwork. Being very fast on your feet is important for fencing. Fencing does bring pain/soreness to the legs sometimes.
-Lexi
Hello Lexie,
ReplyDeleteI always knew you fenced but I didn't know how much you loved fencing! It really explains how much of a fun sport fencing really is.
-Luke
Hi lexi,
ReplyDeletei really love seeing you so happy with fencing I know you love this sport and only this sport I hope you cherish this sport forever because you are amazing at it and will get into a great collage because not a lot of people fence so they will be looking for fencers.
Peace out girl scout
-Greta
Hi Lexi,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I now understand fencing much better. Two questions: does fencing hurt at all and what is the best you have done in a competition?
great post,
J.T
Hey Alexie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post, and I learned a lot about different fencing swords.
But I have one question to pose: Who got you into fencing? Your mom, dad, you did you just like swinging swords around?
Thanks for the great post!
-Quinn
Alexie,
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool sport! I love how you mentioned the different fencing swords! What's the hardest move you can do?
Thanks for sharing this!
-Lion