I love to ski, and I usually would have gone up to Mount Hood or Bachelor Butte
several times this ski season but this year I haven't gone yet. This is largely due to the
lack of snow, and this is mainly because a pressurized ridge caused by the polar vortex
in the rest of the United States of America. This year there has been a lot of unpredicted
weather as a result of sun spots.
This drought hasn't only
been effecting the ski season,
but could effect water price,
fishing regulations,
farm irrigation, and electricity
prices/shortages
because Oregon gets
66% of its power from
hydroelectric. Bonneville Dam
I no matter what happens I will always love to ski, be in the snow, and have a great
time on the mountain. Even if it requires distant travel.
Self-Edited Photo


Hi Arman,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the pictures on your post. Like you, I also enjoy skiing. My family usually spends a lot of time at Bachelor on long weekends, but this year, we haven't gone as much. We went to Utah to ski a few weeks ago and the snow was great. I was surprised that there was such a difference in the weather. Do you think there is much of a weather difference between Mt. Hood and Mt. Bachelor? To me it seems pretty equal.
Your blog was very fun to read!
-Layton
Hi Layton,
DeleteThank you for commenting.
I think there is a difference because Mt. Bachelor is in a high desert area and it is lower elevation then Mt.Hood.
-Arman
Arman,
ReplyDeleteYour post was very interesting to read. I agree with you that there has been not as much snow a usual. I have not gone skiing many times this year and each time I go it seem like the same amount of snow. However last time I was at the mountain it was snowing a lot. I am hoping that the snow will stick. I have two questions though: what is a polar vortex? Is that picture of you skiing or some one else?
Great Post,
J.T
Hi Arman,
ReplyDeleteI love how you talk bout skiing, but in a scientific way. It makes it more meaningful when you put numbers on to it. you say you wish there was better weather so we could ski, so would you sacrifice not using cars so you could ski? Remember this would help the environment if everyone stopped, which would make for better ski weather!
Sincerely
Alex
Nice Arman!
ReplyDeleteFabulous post! I like how you added your personal experiences with the drought, like how it had to do with your skiing. This is a very interesting topic, and im glad that you wrote about this. Overall it was a good post
~Nic
Arman
ReplyDeleteThis is a very good post. I like how you talked about why there is not any snow in Oregon. This post was written some time ago, have you gone skiing since it started to snow? If so, was it fun? I like the picture at the end.
~ALLY
Hi Arman,
ReplyDeleteI also love skiing, but recently the weather has not been as good and now I know some of the reasons. Like Ally said have you been happier with the recent snowfall in the mountains and even in Portland? How much of a difference is it from some of the snow in California from the snow On Mt. Bachelor and on Mt. Hood.
-Abe
Arman,
ReplyDeleteCool topic. Informative and interesting. Skiing is a very interesting sport/hobby. Have you ever got badly injured from skiing?
Good post,
Grace
Ni Hao Arman,
ReplyDeleteI like this blog because you mix science and skiing together very well. Since I have known you for a while, I know you love the sport of skiing. All of your facts are true and interesting.
Nice Blog,
Aiden
TO Arman,
ReplyDeleteThis is so sad! I love how you mentioned how the drought influenced you! Do you think the drought it caused by climate change?
Great detailed writing!
-Lion