Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Basketball: The Game Of Buckets


           Basketball was invented by a man named James Naismith in 1981.Basketball is a sport played by two teams of five players on a basketball court which has a rectangular shape. The whole point of the game is to shoot a basketball into a hoop and play defense and make sure that the other team does not make a basket.Whoever gets the most baskets at the end of 4 quarters(in the NBA) wins the game. Basketball is the U.S.A's most popular and viewed sports.

A basketball that is made inside the three point line counts as two points for the team that made the basket. The team with the most points at the end of the game wins, but there can be extra quarters (which is called overtime) can happen when the the 4 quarters are over and both teams have the same amount of points.. 

Some violations are called "fouls". A personal foul is penalized, and  2 free throws are normally awarded to the  offensive player who was fouled while shooting the ball. A technical foul may also be issued when certain arguments or other things occur, normally for unsportsmanlike play by a player or coach. A technical foul gives the other team a free throw, and the team also gets a possession of the ball.
There are many techniques for shooting the ball, so when you watch a basketball game you can tell every player shoots differently. There are many ways to score, but you must pass, dribble and rebound to make a basket.basketball has different positions for the 5 people on each team.If you're on offense there is the center, power forward and small forward,point guard and shooting guard. There is many different types of defense, you can play man-to-man defense or play a zone such as a 2-3 zone or 1-3-1,etc.
I've been playing basketball when I was four years old, and since then, I've loved playing basketball.When I was little I wasn't very good, and my better sports were baseball,track,soccer,and tennis.But as i've gotten older, my dad has taught me some things and i've gotten stronger, faster,and better. Me and my family play a lot, and me and my dad always play one on one. I'm glad that people have changed basketball over time because it would be played much differently if they hadn't.There are many stages of basketball; there is 4-9 where your very young and aren't really that good and you're working on your skills more than playing to win.Then there's middle and high school, where you're trying to be the best so that you will be noticed by scouts from good schools and hopefully get a scholarship to a god school. Then there's college, where you must be at your best to get noticed by people in the NBA if you wanted to play there.That takes a lot of work and determination.So as you can see, basketball is a really hard. It takes hard work and the drive to push yourself to be great. But basketball is really fun, and i would encourage you to try, or if you're already playing, Just keep playing and getting better.



























8 comments:

  1. Hi Malik, I like how you explained how basketball was originated and also explained how basketball is played. I was just wondering if you could include a brief description of how people played it when it was first invented.
    - Gus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Malik, I like how you started by explaining the past of basketball. It was interesting even though I know how to play basket ball to read this and go over all of the rules. I also liked the pictures but I think you should describe them more.
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Malik,
    I like how you explained how basketball was started and the stages you go through while playing it. What are your goals in basketball?
    Sincerely
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Malik,
    This was a great post! If I didn't know what basketball was, now I would. I also like how you incorporated your own experiences with basketball and why you like it and play it. I have one question, is there anything you don't like about basketball?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Malik,

    I love all of the info in this post! Even though I have been playing basketball for a very long time and this is the most info about it iv'e ever seen at once. If you were to play basketball in college or even the NBA which teams would you want to play for and what position would you want to be?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Malik,

    Cool post. Very good information. How long have you been playing basketball? When do you play (spring, summer, winter, fall)?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Malik,

    Great post, I love all the sweet information you included in this post about the game I love. Pretend I am a beginner and read this. This would have given me whole bunch more understanding about the game of basketball . You are a pretty good hooper yourself!

    Much love,

    Your friend Aiden

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Malik,
    I liked your post and how much detail you put into it. I liked how you described the violations, and the rules. I never knew who invented basketball, but now I know it was James Naismith. Also I liked how you described how you grew up not really playing basketball, and got better and kept playing. Who is your favorite player, besides, durant, james, westbrook, durant, and rose? :) Nice post.
    -Wyatt

    ReplyDelete