Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Invention of the Bicycle

The invention of the bicycle was a great invention for it’s time. It provided a way to get around that didn’t require a horse that ate a ton of food. It also was faster than walking. The bicycle also helped improve women’s rights. As the bicycle and other transportation has changed it has played a different role in people’s lives.
In 1817 the first bicycle-like vehicle was invented by Karl Drais. It was called the velocipede, running machine, Draisine, or dandy horse. It is not considered a real bike today, but it started the development of lots of different kinds of bikes that were to come. The Draisine was invented because Karl Drais wanted something that was not horse powered and was faster than walking. Horses were very expensive and ate a ton of food. This new invention weighed about fifty pounds, had a front wheel that you could steer
with, and  two wooden wheels. You would sit on a seat and run, kind of like today’s Skuuts for toddlers who are learning how to ride a bicycle.
The velocipede was invented in 1863. This invention was commonly called a boneshaker because it was made of very stiff materials, steel wheels, and straight angles and, when you went over bumps, it was very shaky. The improvement was that there were pedals on the front wheel. This invention became a fad and there were indoor riding academies that were similar to roller rinks, except that people would ride the new velocipede.
Then in 1870 came the high wheeler. This was the first of the bicycle’s ancestors to be called a bicycle. This bike was more comfortable than the previous ones, but is pretty hard to ride. It was the first bike to be made out of metal and have rubber wheels. It had such a big wheel because people realized that the bigger the wheel, the farther you can go with one rotation of the pedal. The pedals were attached directly to the wheel, without a chain. Since the rider was so high above their center of gravity, if they hit a pebble or were surprised, the rider would tip forward, with their legs trapped under the handle bars and fall on their head. Yikes!
While the men had to risk their heads on the high wheeler, women rode around on an adult tricycle which was invented in 1880. This tricycle included lots of new technology such as the brakes and better steering. This was invented because the women of that time had to wear long skirts and corsets.
In the year 1886 the first automobile was invented. This had a great impact on the bicycle. It became more of a toy or way of getting exercise. It was also used for races.


In 1890 the safety bike was invented. It was safer than the high wheeler because you were closer to the ground, but the ride was less smooth because it was missing the long spokes that absorbed the shock. It had a chain instead of the pedals connecting directly to the wheels. This became very popular, but it cost a lot of money.


Because of the bicycle, bloomers became very popular for women in 1894. This meant that they could ride a regular bike and ride much farther because the regular bike was more efficient. This meant that the bike was helping get women’s rights better because they could go farther and didn’t have to stay so close to home. In 1894 Annie Londonderry rode her bike around the world, but she mostly had to use ships. This was the first account of a woman taking her bike around the world. Susan B Anthony said "Let me tell you what I think of bicycling. I think it has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world. I stand and rejoice every time I see a woman ride by on a wheel. It gives woman a feeling of freedom and self-reliance."
In my life the bicycle serves more as a machine for exercise or entertainment, and not as a mode of transportation because of the car. The same thing happened in the 1920s when the automobile was invented. The bike started to be seen more as a kids toy than it used to be.


images:

16 comments:

  1. Before I read this, had no idea how many bikes it took before the bike that we have today was created! You showed really well the development of bikes and the many pictures that you posted gave me a clear idea of what the bikes of different times looked like. I also began to wonder when training wheels on bikes for kids learning to bike were invented?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Sujala,
      Thanks so much for taking time to comment on my post! I searched up your question and it was hard to find an exact answer, but I think I've got the general idea. I believe that training wheels were invented around 1950 and were invented when people took the wheels off of their tricycles and attaching them to their bikes. Thanks again for your comment and I'm glad that you enjoyed my post.
      thanks,
      Haley

      Delete
  2. Hi Haley!
    I really liked your post! I thought that it showed the timeline of the bike very well.
    I was just wondering about the first paragraph, how it says that it helped improve woman's rights. I just wanted to know a little bit about how it did that.

    Great job Haley!!
    ~Grace

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haley,
    I had no idea that there were that many types of bikes and i am guessing that there were even more in between those. As i was reading i thought of my own bikes, my mountain bike and road bike. My mountain bike is definitely for exercise and entertainment (except for on bike road trips then we ride everywhere when we get there. But my road bike is for exercise and entertainment yes but I mainly use it to get down to 23rd and places near by that I need to get to quick and that I would not like to walk. When did the difference between a mountain and road bike take place?
    - David (Nice Job!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Haley,
    I really loved your post. It told me so much about the bicycle. I would never of had guessed that it helped change women's rights. I have a few question for you: What is your favorite thing to do on your bike? Such as mountain biking or something like that. If you could choose any kind of bike what would you choose?
    Keep up the good blogging,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Charlotte,
      Thanks for commenting on my post! I like to ride my bike on the road usually. I like road bikes and mountain bikes. Road bikes because they are fast and light, and mountain bikes because they are stronger and easier to ride on a rough trail. My bike is a hybrid, that means that it is in between a mountain and a road bike. I'm glad that you liked my post!
      Haley

      Delete
  5. Hi Haley!
    I really like how your post was detailed and how you explained about each model of what would turn into a bicycle. The pictures were really helpful to go along with your descriptions. I was surprised when you said that the first bicycle didn't have any pedals, and you had to run like on a modern toddler bike. I have one question: you included a picture of a bicycle that has one big wheel and one small wheel. When and for what purpose was that one invented?
    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Haley,
    I really liked your post because it was super informative, andI could tell you did a ton of research for it. Do you that bike use will be lessened or increased with the pollution problems?
    Much love
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Haley,
    I really like all the facts in this post! I like all the pictures of the old bikes. I went to the Portland Art Museum when they had over 50 really cool bikes. Did you see it? I like all the information in this post. Great job!!
    ~ALLY

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Haley,
    I really love this post. There was so much information packed into it! I had no idea there were so many different kinds of bicycles! Why did you decide to write about bicycles? Do you like to ride bikes?
    -Katie Wei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie,
      Thanks so much for commenting on my post. I was inspired to write about bicycles by a book that I read that talked about how bikes improved women's rights. It was called Wheels of Change. I thought that that perspective was really cool. I love riding my bike! Thanks again for reading my post!
      ~Haley

      Delete
  9. Hi Haley! I really liked how you told us pretty much a timeline of the bike and part of the car, but you told it in a story form and made it pretty interesting. There was a lot of info and I was surprised to hear that women road on tricycles. That's really cool! I like alll of the pictures, too. What made you want to right about bikes? Do you like riding bikes? Really cool post, nice job!

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Haley,
    I really loved your post. There was so much information I didn't know! I had no idea how many different bicycles there were. I was wondering why people thought that having one big wheel and one smaller wheel would work? Thank you for posting!
    Thanks!
    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Haley,
    I enjoyed that fact that you put in the whole history and it's impact on woman's rights. Why did you pick the bicycle over some of the other inventions of the time? Why did men not use the tricycle thing? Nice work.
    Cordially,
    -KAT

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Haley
    I like the subject and how much you talk about the history about the bicycle but I have one question. How does the bicycle help woman's rights?
    -Jake

    ReplyDelete
  13. TO Haley,
    Wow I never knew that bicycles impacted women rights! That's amazing. Do you think people who invented it, thought of women? I didn't know that they where so many types of bicycles! Did the tricycle get inspired from the bicycle?
    Great post!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete