I have gone through many sports to find volleyball, I did soccer, basketball, gymnastics, ballet, tennis, swimming, and even a little lacrosse. I started bumping a volleyball around with my dad in 3rd grade, I just thought it was another sport that I would like but not love, of course at that time I thought it was called “ballyball”. In 6th grade I started played for my school team. I was on the lower team, but all the other 6th graders were on the same team. I needed to learn more about the sport to decide if I wanted this to be the sport I played. The season came and went by the time it was over I was in love with volleyball. Still I did basketball. I tried out for club but, it being my first year doing club I had no idea what to do I went to one of the hardest clubs and didn’t get in. I did many camps over the summer though and finally got my overhand serve down. 7th grade came and I knew volleyball was my sport. I did school volleyball again and was put on the same team, that didn’t bother me though I got more playing time to improve. I tried out for another club team and got in on the highest U14’s team in our club. I have improved my serve, passing, and hitting but, I have to say I am not the best at setting.
There are ups and downs to volleyball when you win a game you feel great but, it’s the little things to. When you do the perfect spike it is amazing. The down side is you can get hurt a lot. I have gotten hit straight in the nose before and two people on my team, of twelve, have gotten concussions because of it. I also get this horrible feeling too when I mess something up like a serve or a hit that costs us a point. The worst thing to happen is game point for the other team and then you go up to serve, you feel so much pressure, and then you mess up the serve it happens all the time. At points you can feel like you are a failure then, you pick yourself up and shake it off. Without all the feelings I have in volleyball, all the ups and downs, I would never be a better player. I love volleyball no matter what, it has taught me to be more disciplined, patient, and I have made new friends that I feel like I have a sort of bond with.

This is great! I have loved volleyball ever since I had the chance to play in 6th grade! I just have two questions.
ReplyDelete1. Who is this?
2. What are club volleyball tournaments like?
I totally get you when you talked about when you mess up you feel like you're a failure and you failed your whole team. The serve is probably the most nerve wracking thing to do in the game.
Thanks,
Lexi
Hi Lexi,
DeleteThank you for reading my post, I am glad you liked it. Club tournaments are very long packed days of just volleyball, if you want to know more there is a different post that has more about tournaments. You should check it out.
-Emma
Post about tournaments: http://worcult.blogspot.com/2014/01/win-or-lose.html
I love this piece! I haven't really been a fan of volleyball, but I felt your passion. I know what it feels like to be a part of a team and I fell exactly what you feel. I have a few questions for you though. Just like Lexi said, who wrote this? How long (approximately) did you play each of these sports? What team do you play for besides Catlin (if any)? This piece is really great, thank you for sharing.
ReplyDeleteThanks
~Sydney
Hello Sydney,
DeleteI did soccer for about 2-3 years, basketball 2 years, gymnastics for 1 year, ballet for 3 years, tennis a little here and there, I did swimming from when I was a baby until I stopped in 7th grade, and I played lacrosse with my brother when he was playing so that was about 2 years. I do play club volleyball but, I think that is to personal information to give out sorry. I am happy you enjoyed my post so much, that makes me feel good about my writing.
-Emma
Hi, I really love your blog piece. The thing I loved most about it is that finally after going through all of those different sports, (seven!), you finally found the sport you loved the best. A question that I had about the blog is do you still play any of those sports? Which one was your favorite? And also like everyone who had commented on this post, who is this?
ReplyDeleteAgain, I really loved you post!
Noor W
Hi Noor,
DeleteI do not play any of these sports on teams any more but, in the summer I go to a pool and swim laps. I think out of all the sports I did, besides volleyball, swimming was my favorite. I really liked ballet and gymnastics a lot though. Thank you for reading my post. I am really glad you liked it.
-Emma
Hey Emma,
ReplyDeleteGreat Work! I like how you describe the ups and downs of volleyball, and it gave me a much more clear picture of what volleyball is like for you! Is there anything you do to prepare yourself so you don't mess up the serve and whatnot.
Sincerely
Alex
Hey Emma,
ReplyDeleteGood post! Very fun to read. I really like how you say the good things, and the bad things about volleyball. How long have you been playing? How many tournaments have you had?
Great job,
Grace
Hi Emma,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post. It is so relatable since I do volleyball too. I have a few questions: What is your position? (mine's middle hitter) How do you feel about 12 hour tournaments? ( I don't think them)
Thanks,
Charlotte