Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Track and field is a time-swallower!


My name is Erin, and I love track. Track is my passion, the joy that the Spring brings me. I run 100m hurdles, 100m dash, and I jump long and high. For me, track is probably even better than sliced bread. It is fun, exercise-packed, motivational, and HARD! 3 or 4 days a week, I sprint down to the gym to change, sprint down to the track, and begin the 2 laps we must do before each practice. Then we do warm-ups. Warm ups are probably the worst and most uncomfortable things you could possible imagine. In rain, they stink. In sun, they REALLY stink. Imagine being tired from running two laps after sprinting, then having to sprint back and forth and back and forth with people yelling at you the whole time. Again and again until no matter what the mood you started with, has morphed into complete and utter hatred for everything. Now add your back burning and sweating a lot. This is how they feel. After that, you go off and practice your own element. By 4:30, you are completely and totally exhausted. All you want to do is go home and sleep. A lot. This is track, it is exhausting and very annoying sometimes, and I seriously love it. Track affects my procrastination and maybe lack of work-beautifulness (I'm aware that's not a word) because I put lots of my time into this particular branch of my life, going to my athletic club and running on the mini track, racing my sister anywhere and everywhere you could possibly walk to, and the meets. Oh, the meets. Probably the scariest things ever but they're so much fun after you realize it's not the end of the world. My first hurdle race, I cried. Then I raced, got third place (out of 3 people, yay me) and got 98 out of 99 overall. It was a lot of fun, though. Anyway, once you finish track practice, pretty much all your energy has drained out of you and has frolicked off to another happy soul. All you want to do is sleep and eat lots of food. But no, we have homework. It's hard for me to think when I'm tired, physically and mentally. I just want to get things done, so they can be out of my life. That spurs me on to do bad quality work, and by that I mean messy, sometimes incorrect or inaccurate, and incomprehensible. I really try to be better at budgeting my time and not working so hard in track that I can't complete my work. But I also believe that if you don't work hard, you won't get any better. As you might collect from that, it puts me in a bit of a problem. Academics before athletics, I know, but really? Usually before track I do good quality work, get things turned in on time, and occasionally do the extra credit assignment just because I can. I don't know if Revolutions intersects with tracks season, but if it does, or if it doesn't, I hope to improve on my time-budgeting skills....and high jump. Bye!

18 comments:

  1. Hi Erin,
    I love the tone you take with this article! It's really funny and sincere and it's fun to read. You seem to know a lot about track and I was wondering if you could provide me with more information. On a world wide scale: what were the origins of track and field? On a personal level: when did you start track? Why did you start track? Why do you think you love it so much? Great job summarizing this sport and how effects the rest of your life. Nice post!
    -Rowan ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Erin,
    I really liked your post because you described the good (and bad) things about track. If there is a big project overlapping with the Track and Field season, what will you do to keep up with your work? Would you rather skip practice and get a good night sleep to get the work done, or stay up later but still get to go?
    Sincerely,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      If there was a big project overlapping with track....Hmm. That's kind of difficult. Well, I think I would still go to track, because it's only an hour long. Also, I stay until like 6:00 after school every day, so I think I could still get it done. I also get about 7-9 hours of sleep every night, depending on if I read or not (I usually read), so I don't really think it would be a problem.
      Thanks!
      Erin

      Delete
  3. Hi Rowan,
    Track and field was invented around 776 BC when the first Olympics were held in Greece. Running was the main event then, but the sport has evolved a lot since then. I started track as a whole last year, but before that I had been doing cross country and track mix for about two years. I love it so much for so many reasons, one being it's not scary at meets. I mean, sure it is, for me, because I so a really dangerous sport within track, which is hurdles, but when you're racing, nobody's really looking at you except for the ones you know. Everyone else is focused on their own child in another sport. That's what makes them so different, I think. I also love it because there are so many things you can do, and wandering around the practices for a couple days, I found the sport that I really love, which is 100m hurdles. The variety which is involved in track is awesome. Another thing, is, that it is really truly fun for me. I love practices, and what makes them even better is that some of my friends are there too. Last year, Charlotte, Josephine, and Andrei did it too, and it was great.
    Sorry if this has been really long, I just REALLY like talking about track.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Erin,

    I love track too ever since I started in 5th grade. It's really cool how we can love the same sport but run such different races.You run the 100 meters and hurdles and I run the 800 and 1500! I have track practice every night after basketball practice. And I feel just wrecked after doing all of my sports. I feel you when you don't have the energy to do homework physically and mentally. Would you ever consider running a longer distance? and do you ever have other sports before or after your track practices?
    GREAT POST!
    -Greta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greta,
      Thanks for commenting! Unlike you, (believe, me, I've seen you race, you're great), long distance is probably my worst enemy. When I run short distance, I feel free because I don't have to hold anything back until the last lap or whatever. I feel free because I not only enjoy letting it all go, I pretty much have to. Also, I had pneumonia when I was a baby, and maybe I'm just out of shape, but after I run long distance, I have trouble breathing. Maybe I would consider 200m or 300m so I can work on my endurance, (which sucks at everything but bar hang) but I'll probably stick with short distance. Maybe I could do 200m hurdles.
      Thanks again for commenting!
      Erin

      Delete
  5. Hi Erin,
    I really like your blog post. It was nice how relatable you made it. I used to do track and I would have volleyball practice after. I know how hard it can be on your body. I have a few questions though: Since you do the 100 meters do you have to train like a long distance runner? Also do you do a track team outside of school. If you don't you really should.
    Great job Erin!
    Keep up the great blogging,
    Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey-o Charlotte!
      Thanks!
      Um, well, sort of. Normally you would train for your element (I'm just calling it that because I can't remember simple words anymore ._.), but as I said, you have to run an 800m at the start, and then sometimes you have to do this thing called the box (I know you know but I'm gonna say it anyway) where you pull a piece of paper out of the box, and it says something on it like "10 hills" (hills are the WORST, btw) or "300" which is 300 meters. So in a nutshell, I don't particularly train long-distance, but sometimes I do as a team thing.
      Sorry if that made no sense at all,
      Erin :)

      Delete
  6. Hi Erin, Nice Job!
    I like how you go on tangents about what track means to you, it makes it really interesting.Does getting all your energy out at track ever help you not get distracted for homework, because you have no energy to spend?
    Nice Work!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thanks for commenting on my blog. Sometimes it really does help me, because I can be too tired to get distracted or want to go do something else. But mostly it makes it harder because all I want to do is get this homework done, and I'm tired and annoyed and I'm just doing it really badly just to get it done.
      Thanks,
      Erin

      Delete
  7. Nice post Erin!
    Great post! I liked how you were so descriptive with all of your experiences. You writing really brought the reader in, and was interesting to read. I used to play track, but I wasn't good so I stopped. But I really enjoyed it! I have a question, what drives you to practice so hard?

    ~Nic

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nic,
    Thanks for commenting on my post! The thing that drives me to work so hard in track is the fact that I really want to be good. It's not all about winning, but you have to admit, it's nice to win. I like getting exercise, and it's fun to do.
    Thanks,
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Erin,
    I love your post! The style of writing was super great! I loved the way you incorporated your personal experiences into the post while also explaining a lot about the sport itself. Maybe talk about how your nerves changed with the meets over time. I loved the post! It was so difficult to find something you could improve on!
    <3 Josephine

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankis! Thanks for your advice and your compliments! I was super nervous at every meet, but once I raced the first one, I was fine.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Erin,
    I really liked your post. It's funny how one meet can change your feelings about the whole sport!

    Good job,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Grace!
      Um, there aren't any questions to answer, so thanks a lot for commenting!

      Delete
  12. Hi Erin!

    I really like this post because you talked about how you love running and how you started getting more and more intrested. I have one question when was it invented?

    Sincerely, Abe

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Erin,
    I love the causality of this post! It really connects your words to the readers! Great job on that! I also love how you summarized this post and how it reflects you personally? Do you ever feel like quitting? And have you almost made that decision?
    Nice job!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete