
As you probably know the Civil War was a war between the southern states (The Confederate), and the northern states (The Union). The Civil War took place
from 1861, to 1865. In that war 620,000 people died, and a million were injured, so it there must had been some serious motives for the fight. Many people
believe it was because of the moral issues between the two states over slavery, but there were other reasons as well .
Cotton growing was very common in the south. In 1793 Eli Whitney invented the cotton gin, a machine that separates the fibers in the cotton seeds making
production quicker, and easier. That is how the economy changed in the South, therefore they became dependant on slavery work in the south, later on one
eight of the population in the Southern states were slaves. That caused a social, and economic difference in the North and South. Another reason for the
war was that the South didn’t agree with some of the Northern laws, and wanted freedom from those laws. Also as the U.S was expanding into the western
territories, there were arguments if those states would be free, or slave states. There were even more causes as well.
About two years after the start of the war General Robert Lee ordered his troops, to invade maryland and pennsylvania, and take out as many Union military
bases as they could, while the union protected Washington D.C. Their first attack was on Camp Curtin. On there way to Camp Curtin, a “skirmish” happened
between the 3,000 Union soldiers, and the 60,000 Confederate soldiers. Lee hears about the skirmish, and orders his 60,000 soldiers to attack the Unions
3,000 soldiers. The Union soldiers flee to a nearby group of hills that form a horseshoe called “Cemetery Ridge”, as they call for backup. Backup was very
far away, but the horseshoe of hills gave them a huge advantage. The Union soldiers held off the giant Confederate army using the hills until backup
arrived, and seized the area. This was a major turning point of the war. This battle was called the Battle of Gettysburg because it took place in a small
town called Gettysburg. Even though the war went on for another two years, this battle gave the Union a very big advantage for the rest of the war. In 1865
the Union officially won the war.
Hey Vinny.
ReplyDeleteReally good blog.
However, I have one question: What was the reason for so many causalities?
620000 is many deaths even for this era but especially for back then. Is there is specific reason for this number of causalities in this war? What would some of these reasons be?
thanks, good blog,
hank
Well when I was past mid-way through my research I was wondering this as well. With the territories in the what we call "Mountain zone" Not technically in the U.S. there was a big argument over that, if they would be Confederate states, or Union states. Many sites said it was just the moral rights of slavery, and that is partially true, but it was more so the economical differences. There were many other reasons as well .
ReplyDeleteHello Vinny,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the way you organized your piece; however, have a few questions for you. If you could explain the map a bit more because I don't really understand what some of the terms are. What exactly does a "skirmish" mean? Where is Gettysburg? Thank you for sharing your wonderful piece.
Thanks
~Sydney
Hi Vinny it's Matteo,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post it was very fact filled but I wish that you would tell us what laws the south didn't agree with. Over all I thought your post was very well organized and you did a great job. Just a few spelling and grammar mistakes that bugged me.
Great Job
-Matteo
Vinny,
ReplyDeleteI though that this piece was very informative and I thought that you did a great job in focusing on some of the bigger parts of the civil war. Maybe you could add something more to the battle of Gettysburg and when it happened and some of the events that led to The Battle of Gettysburg. How was the Union at the point of Gettysburg, like were they tired from the war or were they still filled with happiness? I thought that the piece was very well brought together with the map because it gave a visual perspective of the Union versus the Confederate states as well as the neutral states.
-Nate
Vinny,
ReplyDeleteI loved this because it was very fact filled and informative. I might add a little bit of more excitement, because it did get a little dull.
Much love
Alex
Vinny,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post. It was informative and well researched. However, I think you could go into more detail about the exact workings of the cotton gin. For example, what power does it use? (Manual, Steam, etc.)
Thanks,
ACP
HI VINNY!
ReplyDeleteI loved your post! you post was so informative! What was the military like? horses and rifles?
Hi Vinny I like the topic did you know a lot about it before you wrote this post? Did you choose this topic because you new a lot about it?
ReplyDeleteNice Post Eliot
Wow! Its amazing that you wrote about the civil war in one blog post! What were some of the other causes of the civil war? Could you tell us a little more about how they agreed to end the war?
ReplyDeleteMarisa
Hi Vinny,
ReplyDeleteNice post!
I like how you gave the causes of the civil war, and information on one of the battles.
In the battle of Gettysburg, how large was the reinforcement group?
Good job on your blog post!
Matt L.
Hi Vinny,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post! I really liked how you wrote all those facts and information on one of the battles. Where is Gettysburg?
Nice job,
~Grace
Hello rockomanv
ReplyDeleteI really like this blog. I think that this might be my favorite post yet! The way you said it intrigued me a lot. I couldnt stop reading!
Good Job,
-Luke
Hi Vinny,
ReplyDeleteBefore reading your post I din't know much about this. Why did you pick the Civil War? I like how you had detailed history.
Cordially,
-KAT
Vinny,
ReplyDeleteThis is a very big topic. I appreciate that you went into more detail than we saw in the movie. Nice post!
Mahala
Rhinoceros,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I appreciate how you mentioned the causes of the war! This is the most important part! During the African slave trade, why didn't the people take slaves from other countries. Why did they have to go all the way to Africa? Why didn't the Southerners try to be industrial ,opposed to agricultural. Why didn't they use some of their money to build factories like the north?
Thanks for the post!
Rhinos are great!!
-Lion