Monday, February 3, 2014

Skiing Since Two

Skiing has been a challenge and success for me. I started at the early age of two years old! My family always said, “better early than late” for my skiing career. All my family has loved skiing, even my great great-grandfather who skied until he was in his late 80’s. I have gone on many ski trips with my family from Park City, to Alaska. I started to be able to ski without help at five, but that is when I started to dislike it. My family thought I was an amazing skier that could ski anything, so they would always take me to places that were very difficult and they would expect me to glide down the run. I would get caught behind and have to find my way to where my mom stopped to wait for me, which is ironic, because she went too far down for me to see her.
When I was four years old, I skied straight into a tree and hurt my entire face. I have learned from that, and since then I have never got distracted from skiing, because hitting your face on a tree really hurts.
I have gone on ski trips with friends to places like Alaska, and Canada. They are always a lot of fun, but we usually end making ski jumps and sledding off of them the entire time. On the Canada trip, we would stay outside sledding for five hours sometimes!
When I was six I became a ski racer. I was on the MAC team with all of my friends, but I never won any races. It was still a lot of fun. I quite ski racing when I was seven.
I have always wanted to be able to do crazy back flips and spins, but I could never push myself to do any of it. I know a couple of kids that can do crazy tricks. I have always been super jealous of them.
I started to snowboard when I was eight. I never understood the concept of turning, so I would crash very frequently. Being able to snowboard well has been a goal of mine for a while, but I haven’t snowboarded for a long time, so I don’t think I will meet my goal of becoming a world class snowboarder. I have stuck to skiing for a long time, and I very rarely snowboard.
I regained my liking for skiing last year. Because then I could get ahead of my family and not the other way around.
physically, skiing is not very challenging for me. But after many hours, my legs and arms will start hurt from constantly moving and springing around. It is physically hard for most people to ski, even though you get ten minute lift breaks every fifteen minutes. The lifts are what I hate most about skiing, I have always thought about a ski resort having teleporters from the bottom of the mountain to the top, but sadly there hasn’t been teleporters yet. The early morning wake-ups are also very difficult, especially for ski bus when everyone has to wake up at 6:00 AM for the 7:00 o’clock bus ride to the mountain. But I instantly wake up after I see my friends on the bus.
Skiing has been in my jeans since I was born. Even though it is hard in it’s own ways, it is still the sport that I am best at and like the most and I want it to stay that way.















Image URL:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/Freestyle_skiing_jump2.jpg


14 comments:

  1. Nic! Your family has such good approaches to you as a skier. I think it is really cool that you are such a big skier! I think Boone Masief (backbone of the mountain) Speed had the biggest impact as he rock climbs because rock climbing is not a very common sport.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nic, I like how much you said about your history of skiing!
    When I started to ski (except I was 8 or 9), I also had the problem of running into things and being behind. I figured out that somehow sitting down before the crash seems to slow you down.
    What is the most mentally hard run you have done? Mentally as in deciding if you want to do it or not.
    I think I am going to try snowboarding
    Nice post!
    Kian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The most challenging run mentally for me is the kind of run that no one really goes on and the ones with a lot of rocks and trees.

      Delete
  3. Hey Nic,
    I had no idea that you skied. I ski too but I never really got in to it as much as you did. You sound you ski only because you did it at a young age. Do you think you would have enjoyed it if you started now? Is it because you started young or do you actually enjoy skiing because you think it's fun. If you continued snowboarding, do you think you would have gotten good at it like skiing?

    ~Alexander Yu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I would like skiing as much if I started at an earlier age. And if I where to start snowboarding earlier, I probably would have like it more, because I would have been better at it than skiing.

      Delete
  4. Hey Nic!
    I knew that you skied a ton, and I like how you talk about skiing like you have a passion for it! Do you think you'll ever get the same passion for something else that isn't skiing.
    Best Wishes
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey alex!
      Thanks for the comment, I think that I will definitely like something the same or even more than skiing. Skiing isn't the thing I like the most. My family just does it a lot, so I do it with them. I enjoy it, but it isn't my most favorite.

      ~Nic

      Delete
  5. Hey Nic!
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I had no idea you skied! It was nice to learn something new about you. I have never really gotten into skiing as no one in my family really skis. I think I've been skiing a total of maybe two times. I think its really cool that skiing is in your jeans. Im left with one question. Do you see yourself skiing professionally?
    This was a really cool post!
    - Anika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anika
      Thanks for the comment. I like skiing, but I don't want to be a professional skier, nor do i have the skill. You should try skiing, it is really fun.

      ~Nic

      Delete
  6. Hi Nic!
    I really like how you explained that you went in and out of phases. I liked how you talked about all your skiing experiences, and your history of it.
    ~Spencer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Hi Nic
    I like the history of skiing in your family and I saw the photo of the jump 360 can you do that? I like the topic.
    Eliot

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Nic,
    Good post and nice topic. I like how you added the skiing with your family part. Have you ever gotten hurt skiing?

    Good job,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Unknown,
    Your so dedicated to skiing! I love how skiing is part of you family! That's so cool! I love how you explained the different life lessons you learned through skiing! Why did you quit ski racing? Is it because you didn't win anything the first time you did it?
    Beautiful job!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete