Rowing
Throughout the years rowing has been a major sport in many lives including my own. My experience is short but ever-growing. So I decided to take a look into the past. To one place in particular Eton. Eton College is in the United Kingdom. Rowing is a sport of technique and skill. Rowing is all team and not necessarily how you do personally, but how you do with a group.
In the 1800’s they were trying to figure out what to make there boats out of. At first they would make there boats out of lapstrake wood. In the 1870’s boats were changed to a papier-mâché for both weight and durability advantages. They were called composite material boats.
In rowing there are many different things going on first you put your arms out, then you lean over and then you bring the seat up to your feat. At first this was not possible because the seat would not slide it was a fixed seat. It took sometime before they realized that they could take the seat and make it move therefore giving the rowers power speed and a good hard workout but still keeping the competition fair.
The equipment was huge but what they were still trying to figure out was the stile which with it would make it easiest to row. Eton has made major contributions and is one of the first colleges to try out composite material boats and the new rowing style. They have a long race course so they can try out new things easily. although it is cold at sometimes no rower is afraid to fall. It is part of their training.
During the time of the revolution rowing has changed from the way the coaches coach to the way the rigger is placed and how it rotates. How a athlete sits in his/her seat. The style has become different. The materials have changed. Everything has changed. You know nothing can stay the same, but is that a good thing?
Big thanks to Paul Monheimer with finding some websites I could use.
Sources





Hi David,
ReplyDeleteI had no clue you did rowing! You never really hear about it that often, so this was really interesting to read. Do you still do rowing, or was it something you used to do? I know that rowing is an Olympic sport, but are there any other kinds of major competitions/races? Also, is rowing always in a team, or is there like 2-person rowing and other categories like that?
In fact there are!! There are one person boats, two person boats, three person boats (I have only seen one in my life), four person boats, and eight person boats. There are many types of races. There are many on the portland water front in fact. I still row but I did take a small break.
DeleteThanks for asking those questions,
- David
David,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you explained what the boats are made of and what the rowing form is like.
I row too (as you know) and I learned a lot more about the history of it!
What were the oars made of in 1870 when they used papier-mâché for the boat? Was it the same material?
Nice post!
Kian
No in fact they were not. Like many oars today they were made out of wood with a rubber or foam like material. They had a wooden shaft leading down to a plastic sometimes wooden oar.
DeleteThank you for bringing that up I should have mentioned that!
- David
What's up David?
ReplyDeleteThis is such a cool post! I definitely did not know you did rowing, but now I know where you get all the strength from! I really liked how you broke up your writing with pictures, it made it more interesting from a writers perspective because every-time I got sort of bored, there was a new picture that caught my interest! One little question I had was, when you say that they made the boats out of papermache, is this the same type of paper mache that is used to make masks? Great job overall on this post!
Your Friend
Alex
Yes and no, the Paper-machet used in boats is not a substance that is dipped in with paper but, It is the same mixture but instead of paper being dipped in, it is a harder substance.
DeleteDoes that make sense?
- David
DeleteHi David!
ReplyDeleteI really like your post!
I thought it was really cool how you said how it was made of. I also really liked how you explained how to row and what the good form is.
Is rowing just a team sport, or can it be with 2 or 3 people as well?
Does rowing do any competitions?
Great job David!
~Grace
In fact there are!! There are one person boats, two person boats, three person boats (I have only seen one in my life), four person boats, and eight person boats There are even categories in those categories. There are many types of races. Including the olympics.
DeleteDoes that answer your question?
- David
Hi David! I had no idea you rowed! My god sisters really enjoy the sport too! I always wondered how hard it would be. Do you have any competitions? How many people are on your team?
ReplyDelete-Katie wei
Well when you say team I would think that you mean my group of people i row with so 8 but my boat house has a lot of kids in it. I do lots of competitions. But nothing major that you would think of and know
Delete-David
David,
ReplyDeleteIs rowing an Olympic sport? I like all the detail about it and the pictures. They really help explain the sport. It seems hard. Does it require a lot of arm strength?
Mahala
Yes it is It is in summer olympics. Ir requires mainly core and legs and partly arms. It is a lot of fun.
Delete-David
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteI like how you tell the reader about Eton and how it impacted rowing, how they are trying new things. I also liked the pictures, the first one was funny. How long have you been rowing?
-Wyatt
I have rowed since 5th grade and I have loved it you should try!!
Delete-David
Hi David!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post! I was wondering if you have overcome some challenges, if so what? Do you think you can ever master rowing?
~Spencer
In rowing so far there have not been many challenges but there is definitely some coming. I think that there is always more that you can improve on.
Delete-David
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteThis post was great except I was confused if the sliding seats made it easier or were just for competitions.
-Nicholas
Yeah sorry about that, I feel like that if you rowed you understand it more. Thank for reading!!!
Delete-David
Hi David,
ReplyDeleteThe way that you explained about your love of rowing was very detailed. I especially love how you explained how to row. Does one of your family members also row? Who inspired you to start rowing?
~Tyler
My mom rowed and she inspired me to row. I have had a lot of fun rowing and you should join.
Delete-David
What is your favorite part of rowing during summer camps? Yes, I know you do them... is it the workout? The feeling you get on the water? The fun you have with your friends?
ReplyDeleteNow, on to the praise. As Tyler, I love how detailed your blogpost was, but it was a little hard to read at times. I however still enjoyed it!
-Andrei
A. you don't only row during summer but during the summer I love being on the water and seeing the sun it is beautiful. It is all three reasons. I enjoy people reading and commenting a lot so thanks for the comment
DeleteHey David,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you explained the history of rowing. Also, the first picture was funny and I think it's very important to use humor in writing. How often do you row and do you race? Nice job again.
-Lois
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi David,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about the history of rowing and where it was invented. I also had no clue you did rowing, and hearing it like you say it makes it seem like a lot of fun. Are there any downsides to rowing? How long have you been rowing?
Howdy David,
ReplyDeleteDo you row for a team or just for fun? I didn't know that rowing was a major sport in the UK. I haven't hear much of Eton before either. I really liked how you wrote paragraphs broken up with pictures. Great job!
-Robbie
Hey David,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post. You learn something new every day, like that you row! I had no idea. I thought that it was really smart of you to start off with the image of "do rowing they said..." It captured the reader's interest. Really great post!
-Nate
Hello David,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I had no idea that you row! You never seem to talk about it, even in C&C. I was really impressed with how hooked I got from the beginning of your story. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks!
~Sydney
Hey David,
ReplyDeleteThis was quite an interesting piece. The picture at the beginning drew my attention. Have you ever competed in rowing before? You sound like you know a lot. Was most of this piece written on what you knew already through experience or through research?
~Alexander Yu
Hey David,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you wrote about a sport that not a lot of people I know play / do. I had no idea what rowing even was until I read this post! you gave me so much more information of the sport of rowing.
Aiden
P.S. have fun in France
David,
ReplyDeleteWhat a cool sport! I love how you mentioned how rowing isn't just about one person. Everybody matters! It's a team sport! DO you row? You definitely have the passion for it! Could you also explain what differences made rowing different from back then to now?
Very engaging post!
-Lion