Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Music To My Ears

I have been playing piano since I was in second grade. It has always been an important part of my life. Whenever I need a distraction, or something to wrap my mind around, I start practicing or listening to some kind of music. Sometimes, I like to improvise, which means making it up on your own. 
Fiery Piano Performance

Listening to music is also an important part of my life. I love a good dub-step beat or a catchy pop song. That always makes me happy and helps me focus on whats important in life. Stress relieving! Sometimes I just like to fiddle around on Garageband and make up a jingle. Music also helps me make connections. If I hear a sound that coincides with a word or phrase I tend to remember it better. This is called musical learning.


My piano teacher, Alena, lives just a few minutes from Catlin. When I walk in and take my shoes off, I'm excited to get to work on my pieces and maybe start a new one. Playing keeps me motivated to keep moving.


On top of lessons once a week, and practice at least 4-5 times a week, I am competing in Science Olympiad and playing basketball for Catlin. It may seem like I am overworking myself, or ignoring school work, but I actually manage fine. This is because I believe that if I do a little of everything, but keep focused on my main goals, I'll do fine. I may have basketball practice one night, but then I'll work on homework and if I have time I'll also practice piano.


Sometimes, performing can be difficult. I have performance classes every month or so, which let me practice in front of others. It can be hard to play fluidly, sometimes I start over thinking what I'm doing, like when I perform in drama class. We all have our "pet peeves". 



Ludwig Van Beethoven
I have learned a lot while playing piano. I know the time periods, composers, chords, and things like grace notes and crescendos which add to the richness of the music. But also, music has helped me learn about history too. Since my piano teacher is from Belarus, I have learned a lot about European history and the culture there. I have also learned about the composers themselves, some of whom have had very interesting lives. 

Piano and music relate to Revolutions! which I am studying in school. Music is related to the Industrial Revolution because production of pianos and other instruments became more mechanized, but it is to this day still considered an art. Music and other arts were also parts of other revolutions because people were expressing their thoughts and they feeling of the moment. Many poems and pieces were written by people during the French Revolution and Civil War. These are interesting ways to learn about how people felt at the time.


On the topic of learning, my family is donating our old piano to The Snowman Foundation. This charity accepts money and pianos for families and students. They believe that everyone deserves a chance to play and learn piano.


Though it can challenge me, music is still an escape. It lets me bring back sounds that were written in ink pen on paper hundreds of years ago and play them today.


Image Sources:


http://www.pinktentacle.com/images/burning_piano.jpg

http://moonlight-sonata-sheet-music.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/tumblr_m87zhyVLb81rql8omo1_cover.png-300x300.jpg
http://www.monsterworking.com/wp-content/uploads/music.jpg


10 comments:

  1. Hi Robbie,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. You are a very good writer. I didn't know that you have been playing piano since the second grade. You integrated revolutions and your passion very well. The closing sentences were my favorite though. Great way to end it. :)
    Great job overall!

    -Anika

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robbie,
    Your post was great. I only started playing the piano last year. You said that it motivates you. How does it do it? Do you have a goal such as being able to perform a certain piece or are you just trying to learn as much as you can? I really like how you say music is a challenge but also an escape. It is a nice way to bring the piece to an end.


    ~Alexander Yu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Alexander,
      Thanks for the comment. Piano (and music in general) motivate me because I can escape other daily things and hear myself play famous pieces, or I can just make up my own music.

      -Robbie

      Delete
  3. Hi Robbie,
    I have been playing piano ever since kindergarten, and I can really connect to you, because music has also been a great part of my life. How did you decide that you wanted to start playing? Have you ever wanted to try another instrument like the flute, or the violin?
    -Katie wei

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Howdy Katie,
      Thanks for the questions and comments. My mom actually wanted me to start playing at first. She used to play piano and other instruments like trumpet too. I tried guitar for a while, but it was hard to squeeze in classes.

      -Robbie

      Delete
  4. Hi Robbie,
    Great Writing!
    I like how you described your routines when you go to lessons. Does piano help you in your everyday school life?
    Much Love,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Robbie,
    I really like the writing and pictures of your post! I found the pictures funny and helpful. How long have you been playing? Have you had any recitals? Do you like to play?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Robbie,
    I really liked all the pictures, and how they related and flowed with your writing. Your intro paragraph was really great and kind of set the scene for the rest of the piece. I really like how you incorporated some of your other hobbies, so it wasn't just about piano.
    -Gemma

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Robbie,
    I really liked your post! It was totally relatable. I thought it was very poetic in some ways but a post as well. The images were also great! It was also impressive that you manage everything so well.
    ~Josephien

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Robbie!

    This post was great! I loved hearing about your personal experiences around music, and I'm impressed by your ability to balance schoolwork and extracurricular activities. How did you or your parents decide to donate your piano to that organization? I had no idea there WAS such a thing as a place where you can donate your pianos, much less a place that gives them to kids who can't afford pianos! That's too cool.

    Thanks for the fabulous post!
    - Fri

    ReplyDelete