Lacrosse was invented by American Indians. It was played for spiritual purposes. It was believed to be invented in the 12th century and was known as the “little war” because they used it to settle disputes and it was very violent. In the Cherokee tribe, they way they ensured victory was that the shaman (priest) would use a sharpened comb (rake) and ran it down the players arm 28 times drawing blood. If they player never cringed or whimpered, he was assured success during the game.
Today, we play a game that the english modified for suitable playing as a sport. Also today instead of using a wood or deer skin ball we use rubber, and use helmets pads and gloves for protection. We use metal sticks instead of wood sticks like the Indians used. They also come in different shapes then the original Indian sticks.
The game is played similar to field hockey and the players catch and throw the ball with their stick and the net in the head of the stick.
The object of the game is to make the most goals possible in the time given. The way you make a goal is to shoot at the goal and hope the goalie doesn't deflect it or catch it. Each team has ten players on the field at a time: three for defense, three for attack, and three for middy, and one goalie.
I like to play lacrosse because it puts me into shape very easily as well as improving my hand/eye coordination. It's also very exciting to make a goal because its harder than some sports. 
Hey Luke!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading this, because it is about my favorite sport, and it really gives a good summary about lacrosse. I enjoyed it because you talked about how it is played, and how it was started! Both at the same time! One question I have is do you have any downsides to lacrosse, you talk about it being super great, but you never really say if there are any problems with the sport. One I could think of is that is very expensive, so only people with more money can play.
Best Wishes
Alex
Thanks Alex,
DeleteI agree that it is expensive because if you are a growing player you will need to buy new equipment that is expensive. However, you don't have to be wealthy to play.
-Luke
Nice job Luke! I agree with what Alex said. I like how you said what you liked about it and the history. This blog post gets me intrigued to play more lacrosse. I think it was really cool how you wrote about how the game got started and all of the weird things they did to ensure the W. Is there anything you don't like about lacrosse?
ReplyDeleteNice job Logan! I really liked how you wrote about what you love and what I love. Alex makes a good point at, "are there any down sides to lacrosse?". Also maybe there are some problems to the sport like some bad penalty rules or what the stick regulation is.... Nice job tho
ReplyDeleteAiden
Hi Aiden,
DeleteGood question bud! The only thing I would change about lacrosse is that I would make the field shorter so that the games would be more interesting and have higher scores.
-Luke
Hi Luke!
ReplyDeleteI really like how you went into depth with the history of the sport. I also enjoyed how you talked about it from your perspective on how much you love lacrosse and how it gets you in shape. I was thinking about playing lacrosse this year, and if I were to play would there be anything that I should know that is not amazing and fun about it? Thanks for your consideration.
-Abe
Hi Luke,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really good post I liked how you talked about the history of lacrosse. I just started this year for lincoln. I didn't know you played but it's really cool that you love it so much.
-Greta
Hi Luke!
ReplyDeleteI loved how you talked about the history and strategies of the Native Americans. I knew they played it but I didn't know that it was this complex. Where the Cherokee and the locals the only ones who played it?
Luke,
ReplyDeleteWhat did the sticks look like with the Native Americans? I don't really know much about the sport, but it seems pretty cool!
Hello Luke,
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a quick but informative post. I don't know the slightest bit about lacrosse other than how to spell it but I understood your post perfectly. It gives a quick and easy-to-follow summary of lacrosse. Thank you for posting!
Thanks!
~Sydney
Hey Luke,
ReplyDeleteI actually had no idea that this was you until I read the comments before this. Wow. I am intrigued by this sport. How has it developed over time from being played to settle arguments to being a sport? Is it a very rough sport? I see a guy jumping with what looks like a lacrosse stick over his head about to hit the other guy in the picture. Thanks.
~Alexander Yu
Hi,
ReplyDeletegood post. I like how you told how to play lacrosse and what the stick looks like.
Good Job,
Grace
Sup Luke,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post and how much detail you put into it. I like how you put in some background on how it started and the indian part about how they would draw blood was really interesting. Great Post.
-Wyatt
Hi Luke,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. I have always wanted to try lacrosse and now I want to play more. One question: what is your favorite position to play.
Nice Post,
J.T
To Mark Markers 3b,
ReplyDeleteThis is such a cool sport! I never knew that lacrosse originated from native Americans! I've always thought of the sport to be recent, and invented in the 20'th century! You did a great job in explaining you the game works.
Do girls play Lacrosse, or is it just a "boy" sport?
Nice writing!
-Lion