I have been playing baseball since I was six, and I have always loved it. In second grade, while I was living in Boston, I remember hitting a long bomb and running all the way to home plate, even though little league rules only allowed me to run to second base. Ever since, I have been working on getting better and playing harder. I know that most people don’t know where, how, when, and why baseball was created and I didn’t either. Through this blog post I am going to change that.
Baseball’s first origins were formed in England in the 1600’s. The people of England played a similar game called rounders. Just like the game that we play in P.E except you kick it. The players on the other team tried to tag the runner by throwing the ball at him and hitting them with it! Ouch! Then in the 1700’s Americans started to play a game just like rounders, but called it “town ball.” All the players gathered at town hall to play. Originally they played with 25 players and all 25 players had to hit before the opposing team could hit. Alexander Cartwright, a usual player on the team came to the game with a piece of paper that had rules on it. The first rule was that they had to use a bat instead of a paddle, the second rule was that they had to run to a flat square base. The third rule said there had to be 9 players per team instead of 25. On the paper he had a drawing on the back that showed a diamond shape as the field. Then Alexander made the first official baseball team called the Knickerbockers Baseball Club. The first game was played June, 19 1846, the Knickerbockers played the New York Nines and lost 23-1. There are many differences between the baseball back in the 1800’s and now, for example today batters get three strikes and they are out, and back in the 1800’s the batter told the pitcher what pitch to throw.
The rules have changed a lot over the years, and so has the language. First, a walk was six balls, not four. A "bamboozle" was when a foul ball was caught after the first bounce and results in the batter being out. If a batter was hit by a pitched ball, it only counted as a “ball”. There was no infield fly rule. No gloves. Pitchers were called “Hurlers”. Catchers were known as "the behind". Fans were called cranks. And Hurlers threw underhand (they did not throw overhand until 1880). No spitting, swearing, or acting in a manner that was unacceptable to a lady. If a batter did not swing at five or more hittable pitches, he got a warning. If a pitcher failed to throw enough strikes, he got a warning, and then the umpire would begin to call balls. Early rules stated that "three balls being struck at and missed and the last one caught, is a hand-out; if not caught is considered fair, and the hitter must run”.

Can you believe what the baseball players wore when they played? The bats didn’t even look like bats. They were huge, and there was almost no handle, and no knob at the end. The bats usually had a stripe of color to show what team it was for, and who used it. In 1885 The National League made two big changes to the bat, they allowed the bats to have twine around the handle, and the bat could be flat on one side and round on the other. In 1893, in the second season the National League, they did not allow flat bats to be used anymore, and the sweet spot of the bat couldn't be bigger than two and a half inches wide, but then they increased it to two and three quarters of an inch, which they still use today. And the mitts, don't get me started on the mitts. They started out as just work gloves, but soon a man named Arthur Irwin, had to protect his 2 broken fingers while playing shortstop, so he had to put padding in for extra protection, and the first mitt was made. The ball used to be made by the pitcher, he would take a solid object, such as a chestnut or a rock, and wrap yarn and string around it and then cover it with leather, and voila, a ball. But soon Spalding started to make baseballs with cork in the middle. It got harder for the pitcher and easier for the batter, and they changed it to a kind of rubber. Now they use cowhide as the cover of the ball instead of horsehide. What I like about baseball’s beginning is the players didn’t even have mitts, helmets, gloves, and bases, in the end they still found a way to play the game. That is what I love about baseball, all you need is a ball, a big stick, some friends, and you are set to play America's favorite pastime.
Hi Wyatt, I really liked your piece, and how you were like talking to the reader. I also like how you based it on your on personal interest, and had a backstory at the beginning of the story. In the third paragraph you said now we play with three strikes before you strike out, and I was wondering how many strikes they got back then?
ReplyDelete-Vinny
Hey Vinny,
DeleteThanks, for commenting. Back in the beginning of baseball the batters swung until they hit the ball. Thank you for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Hi Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post because it was very light and easy to read. Not to much information in one go. And it was easy to read, because someone like me, who doesn't know anything about baseball, could read it and still understand what you were saying. I also really liked the ending. It added a fun, playful twist to your post.
I'm curious as to how you came across baseball at the age of 6.
Awesome Job!
Katie/ Mei Rin
Hey Mei Rin,
DeleteThank you for commenting. I came across baseball at six in a lincoln little league league, and I played single a, double a, and triple a. I have loved it since I started. Thank you for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Hi Wyatt!
ReplyDeleteFirst off, let me just say that I really enjoyed your post. It was fun and engaging, and it really drew the reader in. You made this understandable to someone who did not know very much about baseball. I really liked you explanation of the rules and how the game has changed over time. How did you start playing baseball?
ACP
Hey Avi,
DeleteThank you for commenting. To answer your question I started early in like single a, and back then I have no idea how I started, but I remember triple a the most, because I hit a home run, but I don't know how I started to play baseball. THanks for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Hey Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI really like your post, I thought it did a great job at expressing information. I thought it was really cool that you picked something like baseball, that would be interesting to readers our age, rather than something else.
-Tali
Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteThis post was very easy to read compared to other posts, I think the reason for this was because you were actually talking to the reader. I think the part about baseball really soots you because I know that you really like baseball.
-Jake
Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI really liked learning about America's Favorite Pastime, Baseball! Just like you I didn't know the origins of baseball. I found it interesting how the sport evolved from having 25 players and that all the players had to hit before the other team could to now, only 3 outs and then the other team gets to hit. You could maybe add who some important people were in baseball, i.e. Jackie Robinson and Babe Ruth. Overall, a very fun and interesting read.
-Nate
Hi Wyatt!
ReplyDeleteOh my gosh! I did not know anything like that about base ball! I just thought it was always played the same way it was now! It is so interesting that they didn't have mitts! I think it is crazy how people just think of random things (like padding their fingers) and then, BAM, the mitt is invented.
~ Spencer UnknownLastName
Hey Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI loved your piece because it was very smooth and talkative. I didn't have any idea about the origins of baseball. When did you get interested in baseball?
Much Love
Alex
Hey Wyatt!
ReplyDeleteYour blog is very well written and very interesting. I especially like the part when you said "Ouch" and, the unusual facts you wrote about. It really made me enjoy your post.
-Luke
Nice Wyatt!
ReplyDeleteFabulous post! I didn't know much about baseball before this, and know I know a bunch. It really drew the reader in. You shared a lot, like the rules, the history, and your own experiences. I thought that rounders was just a sport that we made up, guess not, that was interesting to figure out.
~Nic
Hi Wyatt
ReplyDeleteI like how you wrote about something that you new a lot about and really liked. I find it interesting that the bater get to tell the pitcher what to throw. Do you think it would be better if it was still like that.
Hey Elliot,
DeleteThanks for commenting. To answer your question, I think baseball now a days is great. I think that 25 players, swing until you hit, and the rules were very weird. 25 players would take a really long time. Swung until you hit it would take all the skill out of the game, and the rules were very weird and didn't make sense. Thanks for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Nice post wyatt. I really likes how you talked about your personal experience in baseball.
ReplyDeleteWhat team do you think is the best?
good job
Hey Hank,
DeleteTHanks for commenting. To answer your question, The Red Sox by far.. World Series Champs. Thanks for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Hi Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you wrote it like it was in a blog not a textbook and I really liked how you kept it interesting. Do you think modern day baseball dulled down baseball or made it better?
Overall great post!!!
-Arman
Hey Arman,
DeleteThanks for commenting. I think modern day baseball is better than the beginning of baseball because of the new rules. But it somewhat dulled it down with some of the rules, but some made it better. Thanks for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Hello Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post, even though I don't really know much of anything about baseball. I like the style you chose to write this post in, not too formal, but not SUPER casual. I think it was nice of you to express your personal experiences with baseball. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks!
~Sydney
Wyatt, I really like your post, and I love that you took the time to learn the history of something that you enjoy doing so much. I was wondering, why did all of the people agree to listen to Alexander, and why did he get to make all the rules? Cool post, ~Hannah
ReplyDeleteHey Hannah,
DeleteThanks for commenting. To answer your question, I don't really know, im sure some people didn't agree with alexander and some maybe stopped playing because of the rules. Great question. Thanks for the praise comments.
-Wyatt
Hi Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteThis post was interesting and informative! I really liked how you said what the original baseball was made of compared to what it is made of now. How did you get interested in baseball?
Nice job,
~Grace
Hey Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really cool post. I think its a really cool topic. I have never really got into baseball. just through PE this year and I've definitely enjoyed it! I loved all the detail you gave about the history and evolution. My one question is why are you passionate about baseball? Great job!
Your buddy,
Anika
Hi Wyatt,
ReplyDeleteI've never really liked baseball, I always thought it was too boring and this year the only time I've played is during PE. Your blog was cool, I never looked into the history of baseball. Why do you like baseball so much?
-Matteo
Hey Wyatt!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your post, but I have a question. At the beginning, you said you've played baseball since you were six. What got you into baseball?
Thanks!
-Quinn