Bending backward over a 4 inch wide plank, 4 feet above the ground. Bangs and thuds as someone runs down the Vault runway. This is what my afternoon’s consist of, from 4:30 to 8:00 3 days a week. I started doing gymnastics when I was barely two years old, so that I could jump around and not get injured. This sport challenges me daily, and I enjoy every minute of it.
I started gymnastics when I was very young, with a small class and learning basic stuff, like forward rolls and cartwheels and handstands. In 2nd grade, I tried out for the competitive team and made it! This meant that I had to spend 3 and ½ hours 3 days a week after school working out with the team so that I could be ready for competition. That was the end of my free time. Its a good thing my other passion, reading, can be done in the car! My first competition was in the fall of 3rd grade and it was exciting to compete for the first time. Even though I had fallen 3 times on the beam and not even competed bars, it inspired me to work harder so I could become better. And I did! Just the next year in 4th grade I made it the State Gymnastics Championships and won 1st on Floor and Beam! This meant I was the best in the state of Oregon on Beam and Floor. It was such an amazing experience on top of the podium and knowing I had won that I decided that I wanted to win State again next year. Unfortunately, it didn’t happen, but in 6th grade I made it to State again and I won all the events! This year I made it to State again as a Level 5 and won 1st on Floor and 2nd on beam.
Gymnastics is a very challenging sport. Gymnasts at my level have to compete 4 events, Vault, Uneven Bars, Balance Beam, and Floor Exercise. Vault is where you run down a runway, jump off a springboard, and flip over a table. Bars is where you swing around a low bar 5 feet off the ground and a high bar 8ft off the ground and do flips off of it. Beam is where you tumble and leap across a 4 inch wide piece of wood 4 ft above the ground. Floor is where you tumble across a spring filled floor. Each event you compete you are judged, and the judges give you a score out of 10, subtracting points for incorrect skills or technique. The highest score I have gotten is 9.85, at the 2012 State Meet on Balance Beam.
I am a perfectionist. I try hard every day to make whatever I am doing be perfect. It challenges me mentally and physically on a daily basis to go bigger, higher, faster, and try harder. The hard part comes when I am not perfect. Because I still struggle on bars and strength conditioning, my weaknesses push me to become better.
This sport has helped me grow in many ways, and given me good traits like determination, focus, and resilience. It has also taught me good life lessons, such as getting up when you fail, and believing in yourself. Because of this sport I have no social life outside of the gym, and have no time to do fun activities such as going to the beach. I come home exhausted every day and am constantly faced with challenges of balancing homework and school. Someday I am going to have to chose between the two, but I can only hope that it doesn’t happen for a long, long, time.
This sport has helped me grow in many ways, and given me good traits like determination, focus, and resilience. It has also taught me good life lessons, such as getting up when you fail, and believing in yourself. Because of this sport I have no social life outside of the gym, and have no time to do fun activities such as going to the beach. I come home exhausted every day and am constantly faced with challenges of balancing homework and school. Someday I am going to have to chose between the two, but I can only hope that it doesn’t happen for a long, long, time.


I like your introductory paragraph. It catches the reader's attention and uses lots of sensory images.
ReplyDeleteHi Quinn,
DeleteThank you!
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hi Isabella,
ReplyDeleteI love your post! Your intro paragraph was really interesting, and pulled the reader to learn more. I really like how you go into a lot of detail and talking about your achievements, etc. I just have a question: Who or what inspired you to start gymnastics? I mean, I'm sure at age 2 your didn't really have that much of a reason but was there anything like your parents or anyone you knew who did gymnastics?
Hi Gemma,
DeleteThank you! There wasn't anyone who really inspired me, I liked the sport and continued with it. Although, after I watched the Olympics for the first time it did help my passion for the sport.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hi Isabella,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post. The introduction was similar to mine, which I really enjoyed. I really like how you explain how much you love gymnastics and how passionate you are about it. I do have one question: how do you feel about gymnastics interrupting your social life? Great job on your blog!
-Lauren
Hi Lauren,
DeleteThank you! What a coincidence! I had no idea my introduction was like yours. As for your question, I don't really mind not having a social life because if I don't have a competition I usually have weekends free and I can catch up with my friends then.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hi Pozzi,
ReplyDeleteTHAT WAS SO WELL WRITTEN, (but now I feel like an idiot, I knew almost nothing about the technical side of gymnastics). So, you said that this year you competed in Level 5. Did you just compete against the other people who were in Level 5 in your age group? Or did you compete against everyone from level 5, while other people your age group competed in a lower level? What event do you think challenges you most, mentally and physically? Great work perfectionist!
~Natalie
Hi Natalie,
DeleteThank you for your thoughtful reply! The first question is correct, I compete in Level 5 against all the people in Level 5 in my age group. And Uneven Bars is the one event the challenges me the most. While it is physically exhausting, you also have to face your fears about swinging around an 8 foot high bar.
Keep up the great work!
Isabella
Hey Isabella!
ReplyDeleteI really loved you post and how you started it with great sensory detail and wrote as if you were really there. A question I had is, if you are a level 5, how many levels are there total?
Again, a really great post!
Noor W
Hi Noor,
DeleteThank you! There are 10 levels, and after that you are an Elite gymnast, which is what Olympic gymnasts are.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hey Bella,
ReplyDeleteGreat job on the writing, it was well organized and easy to understand. Was the score that you got for beam a very high one in the scoring?
Super great post!
-Katie T/ Mei Rin
Hi Katie,
DeleteThank you! And yes, it was a high one. It is very unusual to get above a 9.60.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hi Isabella,
ReplyDeleteI really loved your post. I knew hardly anything about gymnastics before I read this. Do you have a favorite routine? What is your least favorite event? This post was long but kept me interested.
well done,
-KAT
Hi Kat,
DeleteThank you! I have two favorite routines, the Floor Exercise routine and the Balance Beam routine. My least favorite event is the Uneven Bars.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hi Isabella,
ReplyDeleteAmazing Job!
I loved how you were so descriptive, and I learned so much from this. Does Gymnastics ever get boring, or seem to hard? Or is it the type of thing you just always love?
Sincerely
Alex
Hi Alex,
DeleteThank you! For me, gymnastics is never boring but it can feel too hard when you are trying a new skill.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hey Isabella,
ReplyDeleteI like your post and how it on your experiences. You are really good, to win 3 years in a row. What gym do you go to? My friend does gymnastics too. What is your favorite event?
-Wyatt
Hi Wyatt,
DeleteThank you! I do gymnastics at the MAC. Where does your friend do gymnastics? I have two favorite events, the Balance Beam and the Floor Exercise.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Nice Post Isabella!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I liked how your and writing brought the reader in. It was a very interesting topic, and I like how you shared your own personal experiences. It is cool that you are so determined to be great. What drives you to practice so much?
~Nic
Hi Nic,
DeleteThank you! Mostly enjoyment drives me to practice hard. The other part is determination.
Keep up the good work!
Isabella
Hey Isabella,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! I really liked your introductory paragraph! I also really liked all the detail. I know a lot more than I did before. How long have you been doing gymnastics?
Great post,
Grace
Isabella,
ReplyDeleteAmazing work! That introductory paragraph really brought my attention! I love how making mistakes inspires you to be even better! And you did just that! Congrats on state all around champion! Do you have a favorite event?
Nice writing!
-Lion