Codes and Ciphers were a big part of the American Revolution. The main spymaster of the time was George Washington. The war was won because of American intelligence, both getting information and intercepting messages from British. British and American spies used codes, invisible ink and hidden writings to transfer information.
 |
| Benjamin Church's cipher: (in which letters are substituted for symbols) |
 |
| decipherer for the "Numerical Code" |
John Jay and Arthur Lee invented a "Dictionary Code" in which numbers referred to a page, line and word in a specific dictionary edition. This code was popular because even if the enemy recognized it as a dictionary code, they still wouldn't know what edition to look at to decipher it. This was also good because it was a lot less conspicuous to have a dictionary then a decryption (code cracker). Another code with numbers was one in which the alphabet was substituted with a number 1-26.
 |
Here is a picture of the list of words with their numbers for the Culper Spy Ring code
The Culper Spy Ring used a more complicated code made by Benjamin Tallmadge, the networks leader. In this code, Tallmadge took important words, names, and places and gave them a number. There were 763 in all. For example: 38 meant attack, 192 stood for fort and George Washington was known as 711. An american agent posed as a delivery man gave messages to the Ring. Anna Strong (a member of the Ring) signaled the location of a secret message with laundry hung on a line. Messages were concealed in the heel of a boot,or (in a couple cases) in a hollow silver bullet. Patience Wright (a sculpture in England) hid messages inside of her sculptures which were shipped back to America. The American Revolution served as a breakthrough in both coding and decoding.
Challenge(not really): Here is a cipher called Pig Pen Cipher: Use the Decoder to figure out what it says.
|
Hi Kat!
ReplyDeleteGreat post! This is such an interesting topic. I really like how you gave examples of codes and how they were transmitted. Could you give some examples of specific times where codes were used? Or what they were used for? How have they evolved in modern times? You gave
a great explanation here and your post was really informative! Great job!
I wanted to write my name in code but I can't on the computer,
Rowan :-)
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteHi Rowan,
DeleteThanks for commenting. Codes have evolved a lot over time as people kept creating new ones when people figured the old ones out. Obviously codes have gotten much more complicated nowadays, but the American revolution made coding much more popular.
Cordially,
-KAT
I could not put in a picture so have fun!!
ReplyDeletehttp://cgsphotoswhenyouneedthem.blogspot.com/2014/02/blog-post.html
WOW.That took forever to decode. Yes, with pig pen code you can kind of tell what is going to be said. This means that it is easy and fast to decode, this is both good and bad. You had some typos on your comment by the way. Thanks for commenting!
DeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hi Kat!
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post! Fun and interesting to read, as well as informational. Codes are such a interesting topic, and to learn about it in the American Revolutions was amazing. I just have a couple questions. What type of invisible ink was used and how did they make it visible? Also, in the Tallmadge Code, what would happen if they needed a word that didn't have a corresponding number?
Keep on blogging! This was a great piece.
Isabella
HI Isabella,
DeleteThanks for commenting on my post. Most spies used lemon juice to write invisibly because it was easily available. If your held the paper over heat then the mesage would show. try it on a stove top, but make sure the paper doesn't catch fire.
Cordially,
-KAT
Hi Kat!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post! I think ciphers and codes are cool, so I found you post interesting. I really like how you included a lot of different kinds of codes (and ways to send them) along with pictures of the ciphers. You mentioned that people used invisible ink and hidden writings... how did they make it invisible? And how did they make it visible again after they received it?
~Amber
Hi Amber.
ReplyDeleteCute profile photo. Thanks for commenting on my blog. Spies used lemon juice (it was easily available) to write secret messages. When the message was received, it was held over a flame to revile the message. You can try this on a stove top, but don't set the paper on fire.:)
Cordially,
-KAT
Hey Kat,
ReplyDeleteGreat post. I liked how it was very informative, and went along nicely. Do you think people ever messed up when writing the cipher so that the intended person could not read it?
Much love
Alex
Alex,
ReplyDeleteThanks for commenting. yes, people probably messed up on encryption's, but you could probably still read it.
Cordially,
-KAT
Howdy Kat,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you wrote about codes and combinations. It was really cool how you connected it to the American Revolution. I never knew that codes were a major reason why America defeated the British. Great topic! How do you decipher those codes?
-Robbie
Thanks for commenting! Most codes in the American Revolution could be decoded with a piece of paper like in the photos I posted. Thanks!
DeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hello Kat,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you wrote about coding. I didn't know you coded. I think it was really cool that you tied a Revolution into this post. I never knew how much Americans coded. Thank you for posting!
Thanks!
~Sydney
Thanks for commenting! Did you decode the thing on the end?
DeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hey Kat,
ReplyDeleteI loved your post. The idea of ciphers in the American Revolution is really cool. I like how it was hands on and at the end you asked the reader to try to decode a cipher. What was the most historic cipher? Great Blog
-Wyatt
Thanks. There isn't really a "most historical" cipher. The ones I put in the post are more famous.
DeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hey Kat,
ReplyDeleteNice piece. Codes have always intrigued me. What would happen if an enemy somehow managed to get a hold of the dictionary? Would they have to change their system completely? I really enjoyed reading this.
~Alexander Yu
Thanks! If the enemy got a hold of the dictionary they would have to do a completely new code, or, they could use the same system with a different book. Good question.
DeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hey Kat,
ReplyDeleteGreat post! Before I read this I didn't know much about codes. Now I do! Coding is super cool.
Do you like to code things?
Great job,
Grace
Glad my post was informative. Yes, I like coding things. I like cracking weird codes. :). Thanks for commenting and happy you liked the post.
DeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hi Kat,
ReplyDeleteVery interesting post, I didn't realize that codes were used so much in the American Revolution, and I didn't know much about how they worked. DO you know when codes were invented though?
-Nicholas
Thanks for reading my post! There isn't a strict "time" when they were invented. It was more that they evolved a ton because when ever they got cracked by the enemy, a new one had to be invented. Great question.
ReplyDeleteCordially,
-KAT
Hi Kat!
ReplyDeleteYour post was interesting and very informative about codes! When codes were getting to the British and back to the United States, how were the codes transported by?(mail, boats, etc.)
I didn't know anything really about codes before but now I know much more!
Good post!
-Sujala