In church music the contrasts of solo voices, chorus, and orchestra were taken to the next level. Baroque music instruments are the flute, oboe, recorder, bassoon, trumpet, horns, viola, celle, harpsichord, piano, Harpsichords & Claviers, and the pipe organ. Baroque music is still listened to today.
Friday, February 7, 2014
Baroque Music
Baroque music was popular from around 1600-1750. It is a style of western music. The word baroque comes form the Portuguese word barroco, which means oddly shaped pearl. Baroque music is mainly made up of classical music. The composers include Johann Sebastian Bach, George Frideric Handel, Alessandro Scarlatti, Domenico Scarlatti, Antonio Vivaldi, Georg Philipp Telemann, Jean-Baptiste Lully, Arcangelo Corelli, Tomaso Albinoni, François Couperin, Denis Gaultier,Claudio Monteverdi, Heinrich Schütz, Jean-Philippe Rameau, Jan Dismas Zelenka, Johann Pachelbel, and Henry Purcell.Baroque music expanded the size of musical performance it also introduced opera, cantata, oratorio, concerto, and sonata.
In church music the contrasts of solo voices, chorus, and orchestra were taken to the next level. Baroque music instruments are the flute, oboe, recorder, bassoon, trumpet, horns, viola, celle, harpsichord, piano, Harpsichords & Claviers, and the pipe organ. Baroque music is still listened to today.
In church music the contrasts of solo voices, chorus, and orchestra were taken to the next level. Baroque music instruments are the flute, oboe, recorder, bassoon, trumpet, horns, viola, celle, harpsichord, piano, Harpsichords & Claviers, and the pipe organ. Baroque music is still listened to today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Hi Claire,
ReplyDeleteI really liked the way you gave all the facts about Baroque music, is the style of Baroque music people listen to now modern? Or is it still old like it was back then? Like with no lyrics.
Sincerely,
Patrick
Hi Patrick,
DeleteBaroque music is the same as it was when it was popular. It has no lyrics.
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. It flowed well and was interesting. I liked how you listed the different people that made Baroque music.Also adding the pictures gave me a really good idea of what Baroque music was back then. Do you like listening to Baroque music? Where do you now in the modern day listen to Baroque music? Again, great post!
-Greta.
Hi Greta,
DeleteSometimes I like to listen to it I guess it depends on the mood im in. Im not sure were you can listen to it other than the radio.
~Claire
Hi Claire,
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a great and informative post. It told me a lot about Baroque music back then. I would wonder how popular baroque music was then?
Nice job,
Harry
Hi Harry,
DeleteBaroque music was first not popular, but later became popular.
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,
ReplyDeleteGreat post!
I liked how you made this super informative, and it really made me think more about Baroque music. One thing I might have done is not do as many lists, and just add more details about some of the most important Baroque composers.
Sincerely
Alex
Hi Alex,
DeleteThank you, next time I will add more detail and less lists.
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really great post!
I like how much detail you included! Even after watching the movie in class I didn't know most of this stuff. Do you know if there was any other type of music competing with baroque at the time? If so, was baroque more or less popular than it?
Thanks,
Matthew
Hi Matthew,
DeleteI am not sure whether there were any other types of music competing with baroque.
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire
ReplyDeleteNice post, do you like to play music. Do you know what it sounds like? I like the photos you added it added a nice touch to the post.
Eliot
Hi Eliot,
DeleteI play the piano and the flute, I know what it sounds like.
Thanks,
Claire
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Claire,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really great post Claire! I love all of the great detail you went into. I could tell you did your research well because this post really reflects the great research you had to gather. Even after the presentation in class about Baroque Music, I didn't quite know what it really was, but now, I understand Baroque Music. Thank you for sharing!
Thanks!
~Sydney
Hi Sydney,
DeleteThank you! I would agree I didn't know much about Baroque Music either, but after my research I learned a ton!
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire,
ReplyDeleteSuper awesome post! Very information filled and interesting! Before reading this, I only knew a small amount about Baroque music, and that was just from class. Now I know a lot more. I can tell you did lots of research outside of the presentation in class.
Amazing Job!
~Grace
Hi Grace,
DeleteI would agree I didn't know much about Baroque Music until after I did research!
Thanks,
Claire
Hi Claire!
ReplyDeleteSuper cool post. This really gave a good idea of baroque music. Do you like baroque music? Do you have a favorite composer? Intriguing post.
Cordially,
-KAT
Hi Kat,
DeleteThank you! I personally don't have a favorite composer, but I really like Baroque Music itself!
Thanks,
Claire
To Claire,
DeleteI love this post! It was concise, yet still remained fun and engaging to read! I never knew that baroque meant odly shaped pearl! Wow! As a musician, I play baroque music even to this day! Do you prefer romantic period, or the baroque period music?
Nice post!
-Lion