Thursday, February 13, 2014

Ballet in Revoltionary Times

Ballet in Revolutionary Times
by Rowan Treece
Louis XIV in an original costume
Ballet, as we know it, began in the court of Louis XIV in the 1640s. It flourished under his attention, and he opened the first organized ballet school, The Royal Academy of Dance, in France. He was a great fan of ballet, a performer and student himself, and often put on lavish performances for his court, sometimes 12 hours long with magnificent sets, costumes and music. As ballet transitioned from the court to the theatre, it became intertwined with opera, often having ballets staged between the acts. In the build up to the French Revolution, ballets and operas were used as propaganda for the “New France” that the revolution promised. When the revolution began however, in 1789, the opera and the ballet were shut down and the performers were safeguarded with the King and his court. When the theatre reopened in 1837, it marked a new age in the development of ballet throughout Europe. 

A promotional picture for an old ballet
1837- 1870 is considered the romantic period of ballet. During this time, Jean-Georges Noverre, a noted choreographer and teacher in France, created l’ballet d’action, or the ballet of action, known to us now as the story ballet. These ballets were no longer extravagant but pointless ramblings with no definitive plot, but instead took their origins from Latin pantomimes and folk tales. He professed that ballets should unfold through dramatic movement and relations between characters. He encouraged artistic development, refined costumes, capitalization upon natural talents, relevance of the set, music and lighting to the story, and the logical development of the story. He revolutionized the training of dancers by changing the entire point of the performance. He made ballet an art, instead of a display of wealth and royalty.
While this was happening in France, ballet grew all over Europe. Marius Petipa, a French dancer, choreographer, and teacher, choreographed arguably the most long lasting, well known and influential ballets to ever grace the stage, with the help of Lev Ivanov, for the St. Petersburg Imperial Theatre in Russia. His most enduring works are the first versions of  Le Corsaire, Giselle, La Esmeralda, Coppélia, La Fille Mal Gardée (with Lev Ivanov), and Swan Lake (with Lev Ivanov), all of which have been remade “after Petipa” many times. The most recent of these reproductions was by a pair of Russian figure skaters in the ice dancing competition in Sochi at the Olympics. They skated in the theme of Swan Lake, though obviously not at all like the ballet. 
Modern Swan Lake
During the 18th and 19th centuries, ballet became a central social point in both courts and theatre, and created lively cultural exchange in places such as Venice, in the famed Teatro San Benedetto, Spain, Portugal, Poland, Germany, and Hungary. Ballet schools sprang up in many different places, and the theatre became a high class locale. Ballet continued to develop but the foundation was set to place ballet as a high art in the modern world. But it’s not over yet. To this day, ballets are performed throughout the world by thousands of companies and schools, new ballets are created, ballet is fused with other dances and arts, it addresses social issues and modern problems, it continues to grow. The art that began in the revolutionary times will outlive us all.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Rowan,
    Great post! So interesting to see how for back ballet goes and how amazing it is. I have one question how many hours do most hard workers in ballet train? Did they train like they do back then as they do now? I loved the way this post flowed the paragraphs really connected nicely it was all information you really wanted to know. Again, amazing post Rowan!
    - Greta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Greta! Thanks! Usually a dedicated pre-professional dancer will train 10-23 hours a week and a professional will dance 60 hours a week. If there are performances, they add to the total. They definitely didn't train as much at the beginning of ballet, they might train for an hour a day. It was much less competitive and athletic then, mostly because the costumes wouldn't allow them to move very much. Now, since there are thousands of children who want to be dancers and ballet is just as athletic as any sport, more than some, people have to train more.
      -Rowan

      Delete
  2. Hi Rowan,
    I loved your post! I can tell you have a passion for not just the dance, and the art, but the history of ballet. In one of the pictures, Louis XIV was dressed up in a costume. Was he supposed to look like something, like a king, or look wealthy, or was he just dressed up to get attention?
    Keep on posting,
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren,
      Thank you! You're right, I really love all the nuances of ballet. In the picture of Louis XIV he was dressed as the sun for the ballet he was in. He often starred in his own ballet and this was one of the first at his court. This picture is one of the most sited in ballet history presentation and is a classic old ballet costume. Thank you for reading my post!
      Rowan

      Delete
  3. Hi Rowan,

    This post was great! I enjoyed your writing style, as it was information packed and yet had many interesting details. It left me wanting more! I do have a few questions though. What was the first fairytale to be converted to a ballet? And how did ballet convey information such as propaganda for the French Revolution?

    Amazing post! Keep up the good work!
    Isabella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabella,
      Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! As to your questions, often ballets created fairy tales instead of adapting them. The evidence is not clear as to which fairy tale was adapted first and the fairy tales often are unrecognizable to us now as they are much different. Also, fairy tales are often indistinguishable from folk tales which are a different category. All this long winded answer is to say, I don't know and nobody knows. Good question! The conveyed propaganda by writing ballets about revolutions and the common place ballets poked fun at the monarchy. Thank you so much!
      Rowan

      Delete
  4. Hi Rowan,
    This was a very good post! I liked how you went into a lot of detail, and really I like ballet more after reading this. One thing you could have done better is explain some of what ballet is like now. Has it changed at all?
    Keep writing fun pieces!
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alex,
      Thanks! I'm glad this changed your perspective on ballet! It has changed a ton! The ballets now are much more athletic and taxing to a dancer's body. Dancers have to retire earlier,and suffer many more injuries. On the performance side of things, special effects are much better and pointe work has become an art form of it's own. Over all, ballet is much more athletic and advanced. Some could even argue that it is more beautiful.
      Thank you!
      Rowan

      Delete
  5. Hi Rowan,
    I really liked your post! It had so much information packed in to it. Your writing style is really great. I know that you enjoy ballet, so have you ever performed any of these dances? How does ballet then, compare to how ballet is now?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kat,
      Thank you! I'm currently learning Swan Lake! It's very different now, it's much more about the dance and less about the music and also it's much more athletic and difficult.
      -Rowan

      Delete
  6. Hi Rowan,
    I love this post! It had so much information, and you blend it all together really nicely. Have you ever performed a dance from back then, and now and compared the differences? If so, I would love to see if there was a significant difference! Great job!
    -Gemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma,
      Thank you! I'm glad you liked it! I haven't performed a dance from back then but I have performed renditions and updated versions. I'm currently learning Swan Lake! It's much different now from how it was. The choreography is much more difficult and complicated. There is a huge difference!
      Rowan

      Delete
  7. Hi rowan
    nice post!
    can you tell me what your favorite piece of music to dance to is?
    nice post. I love the istory
    hank

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hank,
      Thank you! I couldn't possibly choose a favorite but I love the music from Swan Lake and all of the classical ballet scores. I'm glad you liked it!
      Rowan

      Delete
  8. Hello Rowan,
    I loved your post! I can tell you have a passion for not just dance but the history of ballet. I think you did a phenomenal job drawing the reader into the wondrous history of ballet. I was wondering if ballet has changed over the years? Thank you for sharing!
    Thanks!
    ~Sydney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rowan,
    I really liked your post! I really like how you said the history and evolution. What got you into ballet?

    Good Job,
    Grace

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Rowan,
    I really enjoyed reading your post, but I have a question: Was ballet performed by man and women?
    Thanks for the great post!
    -Quinn

    ReplyDelete