The Terrifying Reign of Terror
There’s a big difference between what happened after the American Revolution and what happened after the French Revolution. After the French Revolution there was a reign of terror with a lot of bloodshed, but this didn’t happen after the American Revolution. The reign of terror happened after the French revolution and was a time when many enemies of the revolution were killed. Starting in June of 1793, the Terror lasted for ten months and thousands of suspected enemies of the revolution were executed by guillotine. They got so carried away that calling someone Madame or Monsieur instead of Citizen was enough to get your head chopped off by a guillotine.
The leader of the reign of terror was Maximilian Robespierre. On February 5, 1794, Robespierre stated that, "Terror is nothing else than justice, prompt, severe, inflexible."
Famous author, Charles Dickens, wrote about the French Revolution and the Reign of Terror in his book, A Tale of Two Cities. He described the condemned prisoners rolling through the crowds of people on a "death cart" to get beheaded by a guillotine: “Along the Paris streets, the death carts rumble hollow and harsh. Six tumbrils carry the day’s wine to La Guillotine." People got their wine and food for a picnic to watch and celebrate an enemy of the revolution get beheaded by a guillotine. People that came to watch had activities to do. The women knitted, the men sat and drank wine, and the children played: "For all are following to the guillotine. In front of it, seated in chairs as in a garden of diversion, are a number of women busily knitting." This shows how casual an everyday event like a public execution was.
Picture
The Reign of Terror ended on July 28, 1794 when Maximilian Robespierre the leader of the reign was executed himself.
Monday, February 11, 2013
The Terrifying Reign of Terror
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Great job Douglas, this is a very interesting topic and you displayed the facts very well. The pictures give the reader a good visual understanding of the rain of terror and the fear of the guillotine. Great job Douglas I can tell you worked really hard on this. Great work.
ReplyDeleteGood Job. This blog post is informative and relatively easy to follow. The pictures give me a good idea in my head on how it looked and what it was like. I can tell you had a good understanding on the topic. Good job.
ReplyDeleteAll the pictures gave me a give picture of what the Rain was about. I like how you explained the Guillotine. The french was a lot different than the american revolution a lot bloodier they used more medieval methods compared to americans
ReplyDeleteI like how you said hoe casual it was for someone to get publicly executed, and how different it was compared to now. I thought that it was really good, and I liked it a lot!
ReplyDelete-Laura
Douglas,
ReplyDeleteCongratulations on the great blog! I like how it was very informative. I learned lots about what happened after the French Revolution. I like the pictures that you included as well! Why was Robespierre executed if he was the man who lead the executions?This blog was fantastic, great work Douglas!
Nathaniel
Why thank you Nathaneil for your fantastic response I'm glad that you enjoyed my post (even though the topic is quite bloody). Thank you for the excellent comment. :-)
DeleteDOUG KEEN XD
ReplyDeleteYour blog was very COOL. It was very easy to understand and was clear and concise! I liked all you pictures, they really matched the content and further helped me understand. I think however you could have added your opinion on lots of the facts to make it more personal and fun to read. Also the ending was very abrupt.
Douglas,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog! I thought that some of your facts were really interesting, and I didn't know anything about the Reign of Terror before this. Were people really executed by calling somebody some other title?
Thats really creepy,
Lyssa
Douglas,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post. I think that your image illustrated your words. I thought that your title was very interesting, and, made me want to read your post. Did you do this for your puppet pals also? If so it would have been really cool to ad the video in. I also liked how you connected your post to a book. Good job,
-Isabel