Friday, February 22, 2013

Johannes Kepler




We learned many things from the Scientific Revolution, including space science. Johannes Kepler was one of the few people that made immense discoveries about space. Kepler discovered laws of planetary motion and how planets rotated around the sun.

Kepler was a German astronomer, mathematician, and astrologer (1571 - 1630). Kepler was also Tycho Brahe’s assistant, and later he asked Kepler to study Mars. Kepler tried to make a negotiation to make a more formal employment, but it turned into an argument which made Kepler move to a city named Prague in April 6, 1600. In June, Brahe and Kepler reached an agreement to give Kepler a better salary.
Kepler also supported the theory of the earth rotates around the sun, or that our solar system was heliocentric. He didn’t agree with Tycho Brahe’s geocentric theories even though he was a student of Brahe. He agreed with Copernicus who came up with the idea of a heliocentric solar system, but modified his idea (orbital path). Later in history, this helped Isaac Newton’s theory of gravity. Gravity was the reason why planets stayed in orbit.

Later in his studies, he observed the planets and discovered these three laws of planetary motion:

His first law states that the orbit of each planet is an ellipse with the Sun at a focus.


His second law is states a line between a planet and the Sun sweeps out equal areas in equal times. Planets travel faster when they are closer to the sun (perihelion), and slower when they are further from the sun (aphelion).

Kepler’s third and last law states that the square of the orbital period of a planet is proportional to the cube of the semi-major axis of its orbit. That means if you know the year of the revolving object, you square the year (yr2) and you cube root yr2 .That will get you the distance to the sun in AU (Astronomical Units). This doesn’t only work for planets; it also works for moons, dwarf planets, satellites, etc. This equation can also be expressed as P2=A3. P represents the orbital period, and A represents the semi-major axis of the orbit (distance to the sun).


In brief, Kepler gave an enormous contribution to the Scientific Revolution. He discovered laws about our solar system, and even helped Isaac Newton create the theory of gravity. Without Kepler, we would know very little about our solar system. We might also think that Nicolaus Copernicus was right and the orbit around the sun was a perfect circle. Kepler cleared things up for us and helped modern science. The Scientific Revolution has influenced modern space science in a wonderful way. All of the scientist worked on theories for a long time and it was then completed. Copernicus gave the correct heliocentric idea, Kepler modified his idea to make the orbits ellipses, and Newton found gravity to explain why the planets are in orbit. These intelligent scientists discovered how our solar system works and now we can look back at their theories for modern science.

20 comments:

  1. Nathaniel, I really liked the way you introduced Kepler before you went into more details about what he did. Then, the visual aid with the three laws of planetary motion really helped me understand what the laws meant. Finally, the way you concluded about how Copernicus, Kepler, and Newton's laws/theories worked together put it into perspective what we gained from these historical figures. Great job on this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nathaniel, I enjoyed your blog, It was intriguing and very informative I like the way you structured the blog so that we learned about Kepler before you talked about his achievements and further ideas. Your essay included three vital scientists and how we use them for modern science. I like how you showed a timeline of scientific development it makes it easy to understand each of there roles in the Scientific Revolution. Thank you for posting such a thoughtful blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathaniel,
    I really liked you blog. It had lots of good information, but wasn't to confusing. You did a really good job of mostly focusing on one person, but also talking about the other scientist to give people some more background information. You also did an amazing job of explaining Kepler's tree law, so that they were not confusing. I really enjoyed you blog.
    -Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nathaniel,
    I like how at the end you gave a brief summary of what happend throughout the whole blog post. even thought we went over this and science I think I learned more than this from your blog post. I like all of the pictures and overall i thought it was a super good blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great compliments everyone! If you want to read more about this topic, you can go to these sites.

    -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kepler's_laws_of_planetary_motion
    -http://www.universetoday.com/41021/keplers-third-law/
    -http://www.keplersdiscovery.com/

    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nathaniel,

    Very good Blog Post. It really shows how much you actually know about Johannes Kepler. You have very good visuals and they really help me grasp the idea you are trying to display. Your writing is very good and nicely put. Great Blog Post!
    -Tyler

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the way you used pictures to show the point was very good and helped me understand the content. You included a very detailed description about Kepler and the laws he made. After reading your blog it helped me understand the solar system more even after we did science on it.

    EFAN

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Nathaniel
    I think its great that you actually told us all of his laws. It shows that you really know your stuff. I also think the pictures were not only cool but really helpful in understanding the post. All in all a really great post.
    -silas-

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nathaniel,
    This was an interesting post to read because it was chocked full of information I had never heard of. I can tell that you spent a lot of time and work into this post, and for that, I commend you. I liked how you spoke about all three of Kepler's laws, and from reading this, I learned more from it than from Science class. I also enjoyed how you tied in other scientists from the Scientific Revolution. Did Kepler create all of these laws on his own, or did he have help form someone else? Thank you so much for this informative post.


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nathaniel-
    This was a really good post! You went over everything very well. I also like the pictures that were cool and helpful! You helped me understand keplers laws very well.

    -Ethan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, Where/How did he grow up?

      Delete
  11. Very interesting! I should of used this as a source for my puppet pals on Galileo. I also like the pictures you chose; they explain a lot about the topic. You are only missing one thing though: Where did he grow up. This is also cool because I can relate it to the last unit we did in science. This is an cool post.

    -/\\/\//-/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nathaniel,
    this is a great blog, I always been especially interested in the scientific revolution, and Kepler was a vital piece in the advancement in science that led to the world we live in.
    Overall this is a high quality blog that shows you worked hard and collected interesting facts.
    Great Blog!!!!!!!!
    -Freddie

    ReplyDelete
  15. NATANIEL,
    YOU DID A GOOD JOB. YOU HAD GOOD DETAIL AND A LOT OF INFORMATION. I THOUGHT IT WAS COOL THAT YOU TALKED ABOUT ALL THREE OF HIS LAWS AND NOT JUST ONE. I CAN SEE THAT YOU TOOK A LOT OF TIME WORKING ON THIS BLOG. YOU HAVE DONE NICE WORK.
    -CAROLYN
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nathaniel,
    I can defiantly relate because I did my Puppet Pals on Kepler. I thought you described the three laws really clearly. You kept the facts about Kepler interesting. The intro to him with talking with the Scientific Revolution really made me want to learn more.
    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nathaniel,
    I really liked your post. I liked how you related it to something that we did earlier in science this this year, and expanded on that. I thought that you made it more clear. I thought that you had very good information, and structure for your post. I think that your images were very relevant to your post, and helped to explain some of Kepler's complicated laws.
    -Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like how you explain in great detail all of the laws. I like how you talk about his achievements when he was younger. The graphs really helped me understand it. I like how you talked about how the different scientists worked together

    ReplyDelete
  19. Nathaniel,
    Great blog! I think that you did a great job using pictures, but you could have told more about Kepler's life. Overall, great job
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete