Monday, February 25, 2013


The Power of Mindsets
Mindset is a state of mind. Mind sets can make a huge difference, because they make things easier or harder depending on how you use them. They might affect whether you can get the Snickers challenge, how many pirouettes you can do, or what score you get on a test. When someone thinks“I can’t do that,” he or she normally can’t do it. An example of a good mind set, where you think to yourself, “I can do it,” appears in one of my little brother’s books, The Little Engine That Could “Puff, puff, chug, chug, went the Little Blue Engine. ‘I think I can- I think I can- I think I can- I think I can- I think I can- I think I can - I think I can -I think I can- I think I can’ Up,up,up. Faster and faster and faster the little engine climbed, until at last they reached the top of the mountain.”
Carol Dweck, who discovered mindsets, teaches psychology at Stanford University. She wrote a book called Mindset. Mindset describes and demonstrates mindsets in sports, education, and relationships . Dweck’s book is the product of a decade of research on how people learn and perform. She identified two types of mindsets.
The two mindsets are growth mindsets and fixed mindsets. If you have a growth mindset you understand that abilities are things that can be developed. Fixed mindsets , by contrast, are a static idea of what can be achieved. Growth mindsets have been proven better for learning and achieving hard goals. A study with 7th graders showed that the ones with growth mindsets were more motivated than the others. After the period of two years a significant gap in math scores developed between the children with growth mindsets and the children with fixed mindsets.
           In PE, John had us do a Snickers challenge for hockey. A Snickers challenge is when we are presented with a challenge, if we can do it, everyone in the class gets a Snickers. This Snickers challenge was to hit the hockey ball into the soccer goal on the other side of the gym. The people who were more confident seemed to hit it in more often. At the end of that class John talked about mindsets and how important they are. John’s comments are what gave me the idea for this blog.
In ballet, I use mindsets all the time: when I’m about to do a pirouette, when I’m learning a new step, or even when my feet hurt. It’s helpful to picture the ballet step being done perfectly. One of the company artists at OBT is my idol. Trying to picture her doing a step and then telling myself I can do the same thing, normally makes ballet easier.
Mindsets can also help with school. Studying is important but it is not enough. Mindsets are vital, because they can make you more or less confident. Fixed mindsets can make it hard to think. Growth mindsets help with learning.
These examples demonstrate how mindsets can change lives. By helping sports, arts, and education, growth mindsets have a huge influence on performance.  Fixed mindsets, however, only make learning harder. I hope after reading this blog you will be more aware of how you think.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
works cited:


15 comments:

  1. Hi Celia,
    I really like the way you wrote your blog, presenting examples of scientific studies, a well-known children's book, and multiple examples from your life that people can connect to. When you mentioned ballet, have you always tried to use a growth mindset, or have you only done this since you wrote your blog post?
    Great blog,

    ~Anaga

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      I think I've unconsciously been using mindsets in ballet, but now that I've wrote my post I have been really thinking about it.
      -Celia

      Delete
  2. Celia,
    I loved how much knowledge you knew on your subject, and how you related it to your own life. I never really thought about what I do before a pirouette, but now that you say it, I can look back and realize that I've done that too! When you said studying was not enough, are you saying that if you study a lot, but have a fixed mindset, will you do better than if you don't study, but have a growth midst? Great post,

    Piper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks,
      If you study and use a growth mindset you would do well. I'm not sure if it would be better to study with a fixed mindset or to not study but have a growth mindset. I think it would probably be better to study and have a fixed mindset because growth mindsets don't help too much if you are taking a test. They help more with studying and learning.
      -Celia

      Delete
  3. Hey Celia,
    I really liked how you used many examples in order to show that mindsets really do work. I also liked how you mentioned the person that discovered mindsets in your post. I was wondering though, what are some good, general things to think when you are trying to get into a good mindset?
    Sincerely,
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. Celia,
    I really enjoyed your post. I think that your topic is a very interesting one. It is weird to think that if you think that you can do something than you can, but if you think that you can't, you usually can't. I like all the examples that you used, especially the little engine that could, because many people have read that book, and remember it. I know that in gymnastics it is very important to have a positive mindset, and sometimes the mindset is harder to do than the skill its self. Have you read Carol Dweck's book? Thanks for the post,
    -Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Celia,

    This post was great! I like how you incorporated ballet into your blog post. It really helped me understand more about this topic. This helped me think about how I use mindsets when I participate in activities. Thanks for posting such a great and intriguing blog post!

    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Post Celia! I really like how you have included ballet and other things that readers could relate to. I also love how you included an example of a book that is talking about the same things you are. I can really relate to your post and what you said about ballet. Whenever I learn a new step or am about to attempt to do something that is difficult, I picture a professional doing it. It really makes it a lot easier and more fun to do!

    ~Rachael

    ReplyDelete
  7. Celia, I really like that that you chose this topic for your blog! I think that all of the facts you wrote are really helpful for other people too!

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a really great blog, I know that the mindset of a person really matters to the effectiveness of there action when your in a positive or more accurately a growth mindset you can do more. I and everybody has probably played both roles and I know that they affect the way you act. I like how you incorporated ballet into your blog if I could change one thing I would add a more scientific approach so talking more about the physiological reason it affects us the way it does. Overall very strong and interesting blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. CELIA,
    YOU DID A GREAT JOB. I CAN MOST DEFANITLY TELL THAT YOU SPENT TIME RESEARCHING AND WRITING THIS BLOG. YOU HAVE A GOOD TOPIC. YOU HAVE REALLY GOOD DETAILS AND THINK YOUR PICTURES ARE GOOD ASWELL. NICE WORK.
    -CAROLYN
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Celia,
    I liked all your examples, my favorite one was The Little Train That Could. Your right they would never have someone say I don't think I can in a little kid books. I can totally relate with the philosophy, in soccer our coach is always saying how we have to be confident, but there is a fine line between being confident and being cocky. Great blog!
    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Celia!
    I really loved your post! It was so incredibly interesting and really reached out to me as a reader! You gave so many different examples and reached in all sorts of directions and ideas that made it an altogether really informative and draw-you-right-in kind of blog! You talk about the founder, your experiences, show the statistics and even tie it to an all time favorite book. Do you think writing this blog even more so made mindsets more helpful to you? Thank you for contributing such a cool piece to the blog!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Tara,
    Thanks for the comment. I think writing this blog made mindsets a lot more helpful. I hope reading the blog is making mindsets more helpful for you.
    - Celia

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like all of the pictures and how they express your writing visually. I especially liked the one about a fixed mindset and the growth mindset, they are very explanatory and look well, and overall improve your writing a ton!

    ReplyDelete