Food: The differences between the industrial days and now
By: Lyssa Stevens
People in the industrial times needed a lot of long time carbohydrates, and lots protein to keep them functioning from dawn to night. Factory workers generally tended to eat gruel, bread, solidified porridge, mutton, seasonal fruits (apples and berries), and beer (even for the kids). These foods were loaded with the right kind of nutrients, and were relatively cheap to get for yourself and family. Foods that were uncommon back then for workers were tropical fruits, milk and dairy, and good meat. Tropical fruits were hard to find because they would have to be imported, raising the cost above what they could pay. Milk and dairy was less plentiful because all of the farmers were working in the factories, and it was hard to keep even if you somehow acquired it. Although loss of milk and dairy products can leave you with a disease called rickets. A disease that softens and weakens your bones. Nice meat was hard to keep and find if you were poor, often the best cuts went for a high price and generally sold to the richer upper class.
Nowadays, workers of low pay, and the poor in general, tend to eat cheap junk food. More of the poor rely less carbohydrates and protein and now on sugar, fat, and salt. People are more likely to go out to eat at a fast food restaurant. There are also a lot of cheap food like hot dogs, frozen burritos, ramen, and you can even get frozen personal pizzas for 99 cents. I went to New seasons and I looked around at all the food, I chose what I wanted for dinner, a pasta dish with a simple sauce of bacon, peas and onions. This cost me about 10 dollars for 8 servings. If the poor really wanted to, and had the right habits for healthy eating, then it would not be that hard to eat healthy for a relatively cheap cost.
Here is a recipe for a simple gruel, and old fashioned bread.
Gruel:
Potato Gruel
To feed 4:
4 small potatoes
8 pints of water
2 tsp salt
4 tbsp flour
Method:
Cut the potatoes into large thumb size dices.
Boil on medium heat for 10 minutes in 2 cups of water.
Add ½ teaspoon salt, pinch of white pepper.
Turn heat down to low.
While stirring, add 2 tablespoons of flour in a little at a time.
Keep stirring softly until all the flour is all dissolved and it makes thick sauce.
By now the potatoes will just be starting to loose their square shape and start to look more rounded, but still firm in the middle. The dish will turn out to be half sauce and half potatoes.
Bread:
4 3/4 cups flour
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups water
3/4 tsp yeast
Not a lot to it. Bread making is 10% recipe and 90% technique. Sugar, oil, eggs and milk can cause breads to get stale faster, an old style country bread is the kind one might find in a paper bag or basket on the kitchen counter.
Lets get started on our technique. You will need to mix together the salt and the flour in a large mixing bowl. Then make a well in the middle of this mixture and put the yeast in it. Next you will need 2 cups of 75 degree water. This doesn't sound like it will be warm enough since you are used to 110-115 degrees for regular bread. This is just warm enough to activate the yeast and will make sure that your bread rises slowly. Next pour this water into the well and mix until the yeast dissolves,then start mixing in the rest of the flour. This will be sticky to the touch but don't add more flour or you won't get anything but heavy regular bread. The dough will be less sticky after it has been kneaded a bit. After you have the flour all mixed up, turn it out on a very lightly floured bread board. If you do not have a bread board, dampen your counter and sprinkle flour over it, then lightly smooth the excess flour to one side.
Kneading old style country bread is a bit different then regular bread in that you don't use the palms of your hands, instead you will stretch and fold the dough. This is best done by taking out any anger you might be harboring on your dough. Pick it up and throw it down, fold it over and slap it down on the counter some more. Keep doing this for about five minutes then cover the dough with a clean cloth and let it and your arms rest for five minutes. Repeat the kneading for another five minutes. The dough should be smooth and elastic by now. Cover up the dough and let rise for exactly forty-five minutes, no longer. After forty-five minutes have passed, knead the dough for five minutes again, then let it rise for forty-five minutes again. You will need to repeat this one more time. Make sure the room that you are rising the dough in is at least 70 degrees, and not nore then 75 degrees.
While waiting for the last rising, you will need to prepare a baking stone for the final loaf rising. If you don't have a baking stone, a baking sheet will do. Sprinkle some of the cornmeal on it. Then divide the dough in half and form into the desired loaf shape. Place the loaves on your baking sheet or stone and cover with a cloth to let rise for an hour and a half. You can make slits in the loaves just before baking.
While the loaves are rising, preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Put a shallow, empty roasting pan on the bottom rack of the oven when you preheat the oven. Put the loaves in the oven and add 1/2 cup of water to the roasting pan. Close the door quickly and bake for fifteen minutes, without peeking. The water will create steam that will keep the loaves from breaking open. After fifteen miutes, turn the temperature down to 425 degrees for thirty minutes or until hollow when tapped.
Remove the bread from the oven and cool completely. If you give in to the temptation to eat it hot from the oven, you will surely miss out on the flavor and texture that is formed from cooling the bread completely. Herbs and different flours can be used and enjoyed. You are only limited by your imagination. If your first try doesn't come out just right, please try again, you won't be disappointed. Good luck.
I got these recipes from the sites: http://www.mylearning.org/everyday-life-in-the-industrial-revolution/p-2355/resource/1509/ Gruel
Watch the video of me making a simple potato gruel! : )
Dearest Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting topic! Most people chose a very broad topic and didn't have very well flowing information because they could only write so much. I like how you got right to the point and had very specific information. I'm actually studying the factory topic right now for my teach a class and Ive already learned a whole lot from what you said. I think the best part was how you included a recipe at the end. You showed great understanding of the topic and I really liked it. Good job!
Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this blog post! I think this was very focused on one topic instead of just a broad idea. I like how it was really into detail. My favorite part was at the end when you did that video I think it tied it together really well. Great job!
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteI like how you included the video and the recipe for the gruel. I found your video entertaining and informative. I also like how you didn't just put the recipe in your post, but you added a video so an uninformed baker could know how to make it. I also like how you told the person viewing the video what your dad put in to make the gruel better than before. How did you come up with the idea of making gruel for your blog?
You did an amazing job,
Lydia
Lydia,
ReplyDeleteThanks, I got the idea for making a gruel for my blog because in the industrial revolution, the most common and cheap food was a gruel. I thought it would be authentic, although I wasn't expecting it to taste like what it did.
Lyssa
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteI love this whole thing! I always thought gruel was like a disgusting mush. The video was a great idea, it really tied this whole thing together. It was really informative, and the written recipe helped to follow along better. Did people only eat gruel and bread? What did the rich eat? All in all, great job!!!!
Sarah
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteAmazingly detailed post! The embedded video really adds to the post. This must have took a long time, and the details don't even stray off topic. Maybe next time could you make the recipe relate to the revolution a bit more lately. Overall great post though!
Liam
good work. The video helped me see what it actually was. I was not under the impression that it was like broth. I also liked how you mentioned the current prices and foods to compare. Did you ever make the bread to go with it?
ReplyDeleteYou were very creative when you chose your topic. You really thought outside the box. I might try it at home sometime.
Great post
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you included the video and all of the recipes. That is something that no one else has done and it was really cool. I thought that you had a lot of information that was important and interesting. My question is what was the approximate death toll of people with rickets?
Louise
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteThis was a great post! I really liked how you added a recipe and a video. I also liked how you spoke about food that workers ate in the past compared to the food that workers eat now. I never knew that a healthy meal from New Seasons could cost only 10 dollars. Where did you get the idea to do this post? Also, did you ever make the bread to go with the gruel? Thank you for this great post that informed me about the food during the Industrial Revolution.
Piper
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteI think that this was a great blog! I like how first included how workers ate many foods that contained carbohydrates, but nowadays people eat junk food. I also liked that you included the recipe so anyone could make this if they wanted to make it. Did many in the industrial times eat healthy, or were there a sum of people who ate poorly and ate too much sugar? In brief, this is a great post!
Nathaniel
Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how interactive your post was, with the potato gruel recipe, and the video! How did you find the recipe? One thing you might consider, is not having you dad add in things that weren't in the original recipe. Overall, thought that you had a very nice blog post.
Gracie
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteWow! Your post was actually SO MUCH FUN! You did a great job making it interactive! My only question would be how did it taste to you? What would you compare it to that we eat today? Thanks for the enlightening video and blog!
Mia
Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteI like how you included a video of you making gruel, and the two recipes for bread and gruel. I thought your topic was interesting I enjoyed learning about food in the industrial revolution. Have you ever made bread?
Lyssa,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you included a video, it really showed how simple of a food it was. Your blog was really fun to read. How do you think it tasted? Would you have been able to eat that bread every day or was it to gross? It was interesting how much food played a role in the industrial revolution.
-Miriam
Hi Alyssa,
ReplyDeleteGood blog! I thought you chose a very interesting topic, and I like how you included a video. I thought it really added to the picture in my head. Do you bake a lot? How did you think of this idea? I've heard a lot about gruel, but never actually know what it is, so thanks!
-Sarah D