Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Child Labor In The Industrial Revolution By Ethan Stahl



Child Labor
By Ethan Stahl

Child labor in the industrial revolution was asinine. Just one of the many reasons was just simply conditions that perfectly good kids worked in. Thank god for the great people and movements challenging these absurd factories. Finally, child labor laws have improved drastically and kids were treated like proper human beings.
In the heat of the industrial revolution child labor was preposterous. Firstly, Innocent children often worked for more than 15 hours a day with just a half hour break. Second, Large, heavy, and dangerous equipment was very common for children to be using or working near. Many accidents occurred injuring or killing children on the job. These conditions were absolutely incongruous. Lastly, The atrocious people who the children served would beat them, verbally abuse them, and take no consideration for their safety. These are children. The thought of doing these things to them is most definitely overwhelming to say the least.  
Finally, bold men and women stood up for these poor children. The owners of factories, of course, loved children working for them because they could get away with under paying these kids and giving them conditions that were not even close to being up to par. Then in 1833, the factory act passed by parliament. This added laws such as  Children ages 9–13 must not work more than 8 hours with an hour lunch break. It also Outlawed the employment of children under 9 in the textile industry and it added the law that Children under 18 must not work at night.
Nowadays, Child Labor is a bit more tolerable. In general, for non-agricultural jobs, children under 12 may not be employed, although it differs in states and children between 12 and 16 may be employed in allowed occupations during limited hours. Lastly, children between 16 and 18 may be employed for unlimited hours in non-hazardous occupations. But, Hundreds of thousands of children are employed as farm workers in the United States, often working 10 or more hours a day. They are often exposed to dangerous pesticides, experience high rates of injury, and suffer fatalities at five times the rate of other working youth. So child labor is better nowadays but still not quite superb. 
Child labor has definitely improved since the dark days of the industrial revolution. Yet, it is not perfect and I believe it should be vital to protect the children because they are the future of this country. I think it is important we remember the great movements and people that took a stand for what it right due to the awful conditions these kids worked in back then like the factory act of 1833. All in all. We simply need to protect the future. Which in this case, is the innocent children. 


Sources: 

22 comments:

  1. I really like your use of incredible vocabulary (asinine, absurd, drastically, preposterous, etc)! You really bring emotion into this by captivating the readers sympathetic side. I also love your ending, it restates the thesis in different words and sums up the entire post. Overall excellent job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like all of your dramatic vocabulary. Also, I like how the paragraphs were organized. Do you know any names of the people that stood up for the children?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job on this post! I can tell you had a good understanding on the topic. I like the vocabulary you used, it really proved your point. I did child labor as well. This was very informative!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is very well written, Ethan. Your use of vocabulary made the reading a lot better, and more interesting. My Question is: Were any laws passed about children working in agricultural jobs? You know, because of the long hours, and hazards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Ethan Stahl,
    Your post about Child Labor is written very well, and informs what happened very well. Your vocabulary was used in the rights spots, and very effectively to get the reader to understand what was happening in this time. My question is : for how ling did the children have to work under the bad conditions before the law was passed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a great post and you used some cool vocabulary in it. Do you know if once there were laws, did the factories not follow them and still keep making children work long hours in bad conditions? I think that this would happen because back then corporations and other things broke laws like that (which sometimes happens today). Today, some huge american corporations build their factories in foreign countries so they don't have to obey american labor laws, and I wonder if that happened back then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post was very well written, but what does "incongruous" mean? Your writing is very easy to understand. Why do you think child labor was so popular?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ethan,
    While reading your post I could tell how passionate you were about the subject and it made it very relatable. Your use of vocabulary was wonderful. I like the organization and layout of your writing as well. Great job:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. dear ethan,
    your post contained very rich vocabulary, it showed your interest in the subject. you can very clearly tell that you have very strong opinions on the subject, it shows in your righting. it was enjoyable and really gave the reader the same feelings on the subject. you have made a very nice post great work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ethan,
    first of all well done with your post. I really loved all the very strong and big vocab you used in this assignment. Also I would also like to know the names of the people who stood up for the children. Furthermore I love how you choose child labor as you topic as i did not know much about it

    ---------Wilson---------

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Ethan for giving us this very well written blog post that must have taken so much effort to make. Your choice of vocabulary was supreme with words like asinine, atrocious, and incongruous. Your post was wonderful and I'm not just saying that. I looked at other blogs but yours was the one that caught my eye with your pictures and great writing quality yours was the one

    ReplyDelete
  12. GREAT WORK ETHAN STAHl.....

    I like how you included your opinion on child labor throughout the blog. Also you really illustrated the terrible truth about child labor. I also think the pictures were also great and matched the content.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ethan,
    I like how you incorporated child labor in the past, and child labor now. I also like how you had an opinion on child labor now because they are the future of this country. What are some ideas you have that we could do to improve child labor now? Also, when exactly did child labor begin to become a problem? Overall, this was a good post that was full of interesting opinions and information.

    PIper

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post was very well written. I didn't know very much about child labor before reading this so it was very interesting. I agree with Piper. I liked how you talked about both past and present of the topic. What i'd like to know, was when it started. Towards the end you were kind of repetitive of things that weren't very important. Other than that your post was great I was sucked into the story and couldn't stop reading.
    Good job

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ethan,
    Great job on posting a wonderful blog to WorCult! I love the vocabulary that you used throughout this blog Ethan. This is a grammatically good post also. I like how you included so many facts into this, for example you included lots about working ages and hours. How long did it take for people to stand up against child labor? In conclusion, great post Ethan, keep up the great writing!
    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ethan,
    Great job on this post. You certainly have a strong opinion on this topic and did very well exposing the cold, hard facts of child labor. If you had another photo to include it might help boost the engagement of your reader. I learned alot from your writing, Thanks!
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ethan,
    I really like how you included the hardships and gruesome facts about child labor. It really made me feel empathy with the kids before 1833. How long did it take for the Factory Act to pass, and how many people helped?
    I defiantly learned a lot, thanks.
    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ethan,
    Your blog was amazing! I really thought you had a great variety of vocab. I learned lots of great new information. I like the way you organized your paragraphs they were nice and easy to understand/follow. I was wondering why you choose to work on this topic? It is a very fascinating but I was just wondering of there was any back story of why you choose this for your topic. Great post!
    ~ Dedaes

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ethan,

    I like how you incorporated the fact that it was very dangerous for the children and I also like how you put your feelings and thoughts about how it was back then. There is still child labor in other countries. What might you do to stop that?

    Roy

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ethan,
    I like your post a lot, you had a good picture that told me a lot about the situation even before reading it and it was in a good spot. I wish you would have put more pictures in though. Another thing I liked was that you were very descriptive and I got the situation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ethan,
    Really good job on your blog post! I think you had so really good facts included in your blog it told me a lot about what happened with child labor. You had some really good vocab. to. Overall it was understandable and really descriptive, great job!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ethan,
    Child Labor was a big situation during the industrialist revolution. There conditions were very dangerous and you explained what you thought about that. It also was very well organized. That why it was easy to follow.
    Yours Truly,
    Isaac a.k.a the kid a.k.a the baller

    ReplyDelete