Friday, February 22, 2013

Food during the Industrial Revolution

During the industrial revolution, food was a problem, a social status symbol, and even a right. The fancier the food, the richer people assumed that one was. People who worked in factories got very little time to eat, while people in higher social classes got all the time they needed. Most classes got food, but their meals were as basic as porridge because of money. Even good water was hard to find, because of the contamination. Higher social classes would receive fancy cakes and tea, while lower classes would be stuck eating gruel, and basic breads.
People working in factories would have little time to eat during the day. Usually, even children only had half an hour for breakfast and lunch, so their meals needed to be quick and nutritious. It was pretty much the same for adults too. They tried to pack as many carbs and protein into their meals as they could. Here are two quotes, about the short breaks, found from the factory workers during the industrial revolution:

'The hours of labour at that mill were from five in a morning till eight at night, with an interval for refreshments of thirty minutes at noon.'

'I have been in the mills at all hours and I have never in my life seen the machinery stopped at mealtimes in any of the mills…'
(Evidence given to the Factory Inquiry Commission 1833)

Like in all cultures and time periods, there were common, and uncommon foods in the industrial revolution. These were most of the foods that you could find almost anywhere during this time: mutton, bacon, potatoes, oatcakes, porridge, bread and soups, gruel - a thin soup made from oats or potatoes mixed with milk and water, apples, pears and berries depending on the season, beer – even for children, and tea.
The most uncommon foods all have a reason to be uncommon, and most of the causes involve money. The top three foods, drinks, and food groups that were very uncommon in the industrial revolution were tropical fruits, milk and other dairy products, and good water. Tropical fruits were rare because they weren’t available in most parts of the USA, and it was too expensive and not worth it to ship them in. The reason that milk and dairy products were uncommon is very simple, they were too expensive. It cost a lot for farmers to even keep their cows, so they asked for more money for their products. The issue with water was, that it was polluted. Obviously, people couldn’t drink really contaminated water, so they did their best to clean it. It was unfortunate that all of these foods were forced to be rare because of money, but, that was what people had to learn to except.
During the industrial revolutions, there were no supermarkets, or grocery stores that sold more than one thing. This meant that people would have to go to several different shops to get what they needed for their daily life. These stores mostly included greengrocers and butchers. There were also traveling milkmen, grocers, and other pedalers.
People started to go hungry duringthe revolution. The typical life expectancy at this time really depended on the country, but was around 35- 50 years. This soon became a huge problem.
As one might see, money played a huge role in the typical food in the industrial revolution. Also, people who worked in the factories of that time had very little time to eat, so they had to pack as much hearty food into their meal as possible. There was a pattern that the cheaper food was often much more common than the expensive food. People started dying much more often because they couldn’t afford necessary nutrients. Food, or lack there of, played a huge role in a typical day during the industrial revolution.   


Sources:
http://www.mylearning.org/everyday-life-in-the-industrial-revolution/p-2355/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Industrial_Revolution#Food_and_nutrition

http://www.yale.edu/ynhti/curriculum/units/1981/2/81.02.06.x.html

http://www.enotes.com/agriculture-since-industrial-revolution-reference/agriculture-since-industrial-revolution


    

15 comments:

  1. Louise,
    Great post! It was really informational, which was good. I think you did a really good job with keeping the story flowing. A few times, it seemed to get a little rambling, though. Overall, I really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post, you gave tons of useful information on different aspects of hunger, working conditions, and wealth. It was a lot of facts, and I really liked the quotes close to the beginning. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed reading your post, Louise! It was very informative and I really liked how you specifically described what types of foods were and were not given to the workers. How do you feel about this topic? What is your perspective? Great Post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really can only have an opinion about the short breaks the workers had. Everything else was based on the economy. I think that their break length should have depended on how long they worked. If they had a short working day, they should have a short break, and vice versa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Louise,
    I really enjoyed your post. I liked the examples, and how specific you were. I think that the quotes that you used were very relevant to your topic, and added another element to your post. What do you think about working conditions? I like how you list the food so that we got a feel for what the food they ate was. Thank you,
    -Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  6. Louise,
    I really liked how you included examples of food, and how money tied in directly with that. I think that from now on, I'll feel so thankful for just drinking clean water which was a privilege during the Industrial Revolution. In one quote it said that the workers had a thirty minute break for lunch and breakfast, but in another one it said that the machines never stopped working. Does this mean that the laborers had to work while they ate? Thank you so much for this great post, and keep up the good work.


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Louise,
    Very nice post and topic! It had a lot of very interesting information. I also really liked the quotes, it added a new flow to the post.

    -Ethan S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, What is your opinion on this topic?

      Delete
  8. I liked how you got strait to the point from the very beginning. The quotes from the factory workers were great additions to your post. What is your perspective on the social conflict about this food problem. Also in one of the quotes the person said that they have never seen the machinery stop working. Does this mean that they eat and work at the same time?
    I loved your post and I loved the topic
    Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Louise,
    I like how you talked about something different then the other more popular subjects. Great job at getting to the point and how you talked about different social classes getting different foods.
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Louise,
    I liked how much information you had in your post. I learned a lot about the food during the industrial revolution. You had some really great facts like how the life expectancy was only 35-50 years. I also liked that you included the quotes.
    - Celia

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lou,
    I like how you kept on continuing to compair like for example you would say the higher class would get..., but the lower class was stuck with.... The way you go into such depth obviously shows that you studied this topic really hard. When one of the quotes said that the machines continued to work while they ate, did this mead that the worked while they ate? If so isn't that pretty unsanitary?
    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  12. Louise, I thought your post was very informative and interesting to read. I never really realized it, but food played one of the most important roles in the revolution. The difference in between the higher classes and the lower classes was drastic. What did the lower classes do to clean their polluted water? You went into depth with this post, and it was organized and nice to read. Good job!

    -Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  13. I thought that there was a lot of good information in your post. I really enjoyed reading this blog. The quotes were very helpful for making the piece more interesting.
    -Mason

    ReplyDelete
  14. Louise,
    I thought there was a lot of great information in your post. You went on and on a little bit, but the quotes were great
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete