Friday, February 15, 2013

The Terrible Terror of the Gory Guillotine

Today, many crimes are commited such as burguraly, murder, mugging, and much more. What are the consequences of these actions? Some are straight forward go to jail for life, others are court to see if the victim is guilty or not. Back in the 1700's, people who were arrested were executed by the guillotine in France. Was this not harsh, or not enough?

A guillotine is modeled to deseced from being held up by a strong rope when the rope is cut or let go of. It is designed to kill whatever lies beneath it. The first model had troubles, like the blade wouldn't go all the way down, but the second was more improved with the steel blade sharper.

During the Reign of Terror, which lasted 1793 to 1794, the government arrest over 300,000 people. About 17,000 were executed by the terrifying guillotine. This was all because of the Jacobins who were led by Maximilien Robespierre. The Jacobins claimed a "policy of terror" against their enemies. Part of the policy included execution of supporters of the king who disagreed with Jacobin policies. Louis XVI and his wife were also executed. During executions, especially Louis's, people would gather round to see the head come clean off when the blade droppped onto the victim. Sometimes, the blade wouln't go all the way down, and only cut off part of the neck, with the person possibly still being alive at the moment.

It was so cruel to do something like that. A better, less gory, idea would to just put the victim in prison for a long time, making him work, but the people back then were hateful due to all the wars and such.





Picture: http://thechirurgeonsapprentice.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/guillotine7.gif
Info: My World History Textbook
Life Knowledge

15 comments:

  1. Morgan,
    After reading your blog I've learned a lot more about punishment for crimes in the late 1700s. I think this is a pretty strong subject to take on and you handled it well. I like how you dont include too much gore, but you definitely get the point across. I'm glad nowadays we dont use the same methods!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maggie,
      First of all, thanks for reading my post. Your comment gives a lot of feedback on what I should/shouldn't do the next time I make a post. I also am happy we don't chop heads today for punishments.
      ~Morgan

      Delete
  2. Dear Morgan,
    I really like that you decided to do your post on the subject of the guillotine. I like that you explain when it was in use, as well as how there were multiple kinds of them, some working better than others. I also like that you included a better way to deal with prisoners.
    Sincerely,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Morgan,
    To start off, your title defiantly makes the reader more interested: "The Terrible Terror of the Gory Guillotine." I was shuttering when I read this. For some reason the idea of a guillotine puts me on edge. Nonetheless, I was very interested in what you had to say. I liked it when you gave several examples of guillotines, some working better than others. You showed good understanding of the topic and I liked your post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YO MORGAN
    I really like how in your first paragraph you gave a brief summary of law breaking and later related the guillotine to modern world today. However I think you should have chosen a side to take in this blog and stuck to it. Also part of the reason I choose this blog is because of its very cool name :P. It is always important to capture the reader in the title and the 1st paragraph and I think you did that very well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morgan, I really liked the name of your blog post it made me want to read the blog a lot more. I liked how you told the estimated number of people that were arrested and how a lot of them were exacted I liked how you talked about how people wanted to watch them get their heads cut off. This was a great post! -Mason

    ReplyDelete
  6. Morgan,
    I thought it could have gone into the Reign of Terror more, but the information you gave had good background information. It was not to gory, and I'm really glad we don't sentance people to that punishment. Did people really gather around to see? And could the victims still be alive even after the cut?
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete
  7. Morgan,
    Your post is very informative, and a bit gory at parts. Your title is perhaps the best of our class, because it draws the reader in, and makes you very intrigued without even viewing the post. Why did the Jacobins arrest so many people? Maybe you could make your post a bit more detailed. Overall great post though, and great job.
    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you could of gone deeper into the topic but the information you gave was informative and to the point. I really enjoyed reading about the Guillotine, even though it was completely gross how sometimes the victims neck wasn't severed all the way, leaving them alive :0. Great job momo!

    -hannah <3

    P.S I really liked how your post wasn't very long, but still described the Guillotine and it's purposes really well. It's a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Morgan,
    I liked how in the first paragraph, you compare the punishments today, and the punishments from 1793. I also liked how you asked a question, so the reader could make an opinion on the subject. Do you know who actually invented the guillotine? I thought that your piece started out really strong, but over time it became weaker until the very end where I thought you could of had a better ending. Thank you for this great (yet gory) blog post!


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Morgan,
    I thought that it was interesting how you chose this topic. I hate to say it, but I would rather go to jail than be killed by the guillotine. How would you reset the guillotine after you killed the person? Overall, I think that you had a nice blog.

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  11. Morgan,
    Nasty topic. I like the picture and think that you did a good job explaining the topic. I also like the story you told along with the post.

    - /\

    ReplyDelete
  12. Morgan,
    I like the photo, because it doesn't have a bloody head in it but still shows the guillotine. Your information was good as you described how to guillotine progressed with less faulty happenings, which caused, well lets just say discomfort to the victim. I also liked how you put your opinion into how the justice system could have been less violent. Great Job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Morgan,
    I like the photo you used. Your blog was really informative and it taught me a lot!Overall great job!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Morgan,
    Nice post! I like the information you gave me in this post. You did a great job using numbers to exaggerate your point. The picture you used was very expressive. I like the ending saying what your opinion was of the guillotine and the way it was used. Are guillotine still used today? Great work!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete