The Steps in creating a stained glass piece follows a few instructions but then
its up to you and your creativity. However, in order to you need the right tools and materials, after collecting these you will find creating a beautiful stained glass is quite easy. You can buy a kit of these materials at almost any art stores/blick. The materials consist of *


Glass Cutter- Used to glass into pieces you choose. Comes in big and small. The process in cutting the glass is called scoring. You always want to draw a line with sharpe on where you want to score.( sharpe will come off in the
furnace.
Pliers- The hand tools used to ply apart the glass pieces after cutting.
Glass- Comes in many different mediums. For example the glass nuggets/globes are simple little ovals/circles already made, used to create texture and dimension for a wonderful stained glass art. You also have your plane glass sheet you place/glue your glass pieces on(one side is wavy one side is flat, you place the glass pieces onto the wavy side in order to have a better cohesion between both glasses.) Also Keep in mind the glass will never be the same color as before you put it in the furnace. Glass is the most personal part of creating stained glass. I love choosing different colors and types of glass.
Glue- Used to stick glass pieces to glass slate.
Flux- used in between glass pieces to make a solid line between glass.(may more may not want to use depending on what you want to make.)
Furnace: The heater you place your stained glass in to finish the piece
My experience and knowledge.
When I created my stained glass( in c&c) I was under the advisory of Lyn, who along with her friend, creates stain glass for a hobby. We were creating simple letters to spell out a name( find out who and take picture explain pic). This is/would be a great way for a beginner at stain glass making. You may want to start out with a simple flower or piece that doesn’t have very many small glass pieces, because it is easier( in my opinion ) to make bigger cuts. Shapes like squares/rectangles, rhombuses, triangles are all easy shapes to make. Although at first you may start out simple you may just become the next Christopher Whall if you enjoy your work and try hard to get better. Stained glass is such a great form of art because it allows you to express and be creative in your making. At least thats what I think. I enjoyed mixing colors and finding the right pieces. It reminds me of when I was 7, I used to search for shells in the beach looking for hours in search of the right shell, and the whole time having a great time. I really hope to do more stained glass making in the future and I hope whoever is reading this gives it a shot.
Although creating stained glass goes is a fun and entertaining form of art, you must also take in mind many of the items you use could hurt you. For example, while digging through your box/stash of glass pieces it is very easy to accidentally cut yourself (because most glass shards are not perfect circles). This is why Lyn advised us to go slow and not rush while searching. Another precaution you should follow is, always wash your hands after creating stained glass. You do this because, after searching and cutting glass tiny tiny shards of sharp glass gathers on your hands. You may not see them but they're there. Once you're done with stain glass if you're anything like me, you continue on with life. In life you touch your eyes,(most people touch their face 180-300 times in an hour) thats why you must get the shards off so you don’t cause damage to them.
What can you make?
Now that you know all about the basics of creating stained glass(and the safety :D), there comes the question what do I make? There are endless ideas. But since you are new to stained glass you’ll want to start simple. Here is a list of Ideas and concepts you may want to use based off my experience. But first and foremost it is important to be creative and be safe.
A flower/plants
letters(spell a name)
Simple shapes collation
A scene of people/animals
A hobby
A sport
Animals/life
I have Given you a guide , know its up to YOU to to create your own stained glass WONDER. :D
Sources
http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/stained-glass-mosaic/index.html
and MY BRAIN
Sources
http://www.hgtv.com/crafting/stained-glass-mosaic/index.html
and MY BRAIN

please comment
ReplyDeleteEthan,
ReplyDeleteI like how do describe all the elements of what you use to make/cut the glass, like the glass cutters, the pliers, the glass (you kind of need that for stained glass!), glue, the flux (I think that is a cool word-flux), and the furnace. I like how you say that you've worked with glass.What did you make?
Great topic,
Lydia
Thanks Lydia :),
DeleteTo answer your question I made a stained glass letter that would later be added together with other letters people made to create the word Alexandria. The word is sitting in the Library so if you would like to check it out I made the R. Also I think it will later be hanged up.
I like how you show us how to make the stained glass, and what tools you need. I thought that it was a good topic and Would be a fun thing to do. It was cool how you tied it to when you were little to.
ReplyDelete-Laura
Ethan, I really like how you talk about all the steps, safety and tools of making stained glass. I think it's cool how you've actually made stained glass, and how you wrote about a topic that interested you and that you had done before. I also like that sentence about finding shells on the beach. Nice post!
ReplyDeleteEllie
Ethan,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you went though the entire process of making a stained glass. I also liked how you chose a topic that had almost nothing to do with Revolutions! because it guaranteed that no one had read a blog post like it before. What made you think of this topic? I liked how you added safety, and with that, statistics about how many times you touch your face in an hour. Overall, this was a good post that informed me of something fun to do in the future. Thank you,
Piper
To ETHAN HED,
ReplyDeleteI love how you mentioned the entire process of making stained glass. I love how you connected this post to your real life, by making stained glass! Great job overall!
What's your favorite stained glass?
Nice job, loved the unique style of this post!
-Lion