Thursday, February 14, 2013

Sports, Exercise, and the Brain!


Sports has been a huge part of my life since, well, forever! All my life I have incorporated sports into my school life, and schedule. How it effects the Brain! Exercise is possibly one of the key points to having a healthy brain. Studies prove that physical and aerobic exercise are important for cognitive activity, and basically just thinking straight. A good 30 minute is workout is enough to make a whole day of thinking better! My family is very exercise related, me and my brother doing at least one sport per season and going for runs.
My cousin Jacob is a big part of my life and so is competition sports, so we make it a routine to go the gym and shoot hoops whenever he comes over to my house or vice versa. Because we want to get better, we make playing basketball together super competitive and I think that competition is motivation for me to do much better. Motivation is a key part in helping the brain to work harder, because I know I can't do something without putting my mind to it. When I try to do something, it usually comes out good but I am REALLY hard to get motivated! When I can't focus on something my mom tells me to just get up and do some jumping jacks, which actually helps! Exercise is great for the brain, and helps get you thinking. How it effect Emotions! Another thing exercise helps with is emotions! I get pretty mad easy, and get irritated at people, so going on runs helps me with that! Every single time I go for a run and come home I get a comment from my brother that I'm being nicer, and I guess it gets me in a better mood.
In Putnam city, there was a study where children who ran around for a half hour performed at least 45% better than the children that hadn't exercised. Also, during the class the children who had run around were behaving themselves and gave off a happy vibe to the teachers, and the observers. The effect lasted for about four hours, which is an amazing amount compared to the mere 30 minutes of exercise. Exercise is the #1 thing to cheer you up! What I think! Exercise is basically training your brain to be healthy, and keep in touch with emotions. A new year's resolution of mine is to not fight with my mom so much, so I'm gonna exercise more to keep in a better mood for her, and to be more pumped for schoolwork! The whole point of my blog was just to get you guys to realize how important it is for people, especially kids, to get active! I know it sounds cheesy, but it will help you to get better grades (if you don't go to Catlin...) and to just smile more. Do sports! :) Sources: http://www.patriotledger.com/blogs/health-cares/x1164582311/Exercise-and-the-Brain http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/train-your-brain-with-exercise http://images.google.com/

12 comments:

  1. Leslie,
    Your post is very inspiring! I agree that exercise is a great way to clear your mind and help you think. I didn't know the fact about 30 minutes of exercise fueling your brain for 4 hours. That's amazing! I also think team sports are a great way to make friends with new people while getting good exercise. Thank you for making me want to go for a run!
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Leslie,
    I think this posts really reflects what so may of us feel like every day! It's great that people can actually connect to this post, because if it's just about, say the Storming of the Bastille, then people think it's boring because you probably can't relate to it. Also, the way you incorporated the studies into it proved your point, just as involving your own life and experiences gives a good example. I have to agree with you, exercise helps me focus SO MUCH! As Mia said, I had no idea only thirty minutes can keep you going and focused for four hours! Just reading this makes me want to run outside and frolic in the sunlit meadow with my vintage cap... Anyway, your post was amazing, and very inspiring!
    Sincerely, lovingly, and with best regards, Marcell S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcell-
      First off, WHOA this is a long comment! :) Thanks for the feedback, you made some good points. PS nice comparison to another topic. I really appreciate you taking time to really look over my post and I'll take **given advice to keep posting like this!
      Leslie

      Delete
  3. Hey Leslie!
    Your statistics are really interesting. I also like how you added funny pictures :) I completely agree that exercise helps. When I go on runs or something after school, it is always way easier to do work. Marcell and Mia had really good points about how it is so true and really relatable. Awesome post!!!
    -maya

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leslie, I really love the pictures you had. Your post is fun to read and I like all the ways you connected this topic to your own life. This post is really easy to relate to, because sports is a big part of most kids lives. Great job! <3

    -hannah

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Leslie,
    Nice post! I really like how you used examples like your cousin Jacob as an example of you doing sports, and how sports is a big part of your life. I also like how you put good pictures and sources. ~:)
    -Alon

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Leslie!
    I really enjoyed your blog! It was super informative and I learned a lot! I really like how you talk about your personal life which makes it very relatable! Alon, Hannah, Maya, and Mia had some really great points. Like Marcell said, it really does make you want to go outside and run! Before now I had no idea running really can help that much! I really both enjoyed and connected to your awesome post!!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leslie,
    I really liked how this entire blog post was related to you and your family. I can relate with you when you say exercise improves your emotion. Whenever I dance, I suddenly feel so much happier. I had no idea that it could help your grades though. Do you know why exercise actually helps the brain? As well as information on yourself, I was glad that you put statistics into your post. Thank you for this amazing post that I could relate to.


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  8. Leslie,
    I really like the topic you chose for your blog. I thought that you could have minimized your exclamation marks a little bit, but also they fit you blog topic too. I also thought that it was cool how you wrote what you thought, rather than just writing facts.

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Leslie,
    I really liked your post. I think that your post proves what you are tying to prove in your post. I liked how you mixed your examples from your family, and friends with studies. How did you come up with this topic? I also agree with the topic of your post. Gymnastics makes me happy. I think that it would be interesting to see if you do better on a test a day where you have had PE rather than a day where you haven't. Thank you,
    -Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leslie,
    I loved your post, and the visuals you incorporated into it! I liked how you related something important to you, with important studies, and your family. You had a couple of grammar mistakes, but over all it was a great read and very informative. I think that this subject has been used already a bunch, but it was a great way to express it differently than other people!
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete
  11. To Leslie,
    I love how you say competition is motivation for me! I completely agree. Sometimes your like, how is that kid so good. I need to work out more so I can better than him! Thanks for addressing that point in your post! I also like how you incorporated your brain into exercising. I never knew it helps your brain! I might start exercising more!
    Did you know any of this information before you wrote this blog?
    Nice job!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete