![]() |
| Thirteenth Amendment |

What if the 13th amendment never abolished slavery? What would we do without it? If we still had slavery then imagine how different the world would be. The Thirteenth Amendment to the United States outlaws slavery and involuntary servitude, unless for a punishment for crime. For those who don’t know what involuntary servitude it refers to one person being forced to work for another. This was passed by the senate on April 8,1864 by the house. The Thirteenth amendment was the first of the three “reconstruction amendments” after the American Civil War. When the Thirteenth Amendment was proposed there wasn’t a new amendment in around 60 years. Before the Amendment the constitution, that the delegates proposed, included several provisions that protected slavery. The constitution states that all men were equal but was that really true, think slaves were men to. Typically men who were forced to be slaves more than any other ethnicity. White men were considered people who were whole because of the color of their skin. Look at the picture at the two pictures of the slaves and look to see how many men there are working in the fields to. What if slavery was still in our world today? What would we do? Before the thirteenth amendment slaves were considered only 3/5ths of a person. Slaves were treated as if they were property, they were traded and bought by white wealthy men. If slavery wasn’t abolished I think that there would be no exploration because people were like property. Imagine if we still had slavery and you were a slave. You wouldn’t have an education or a life of your own. If slavery wasn’t abolished our world as we know it would be changed gone.

Hey Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog. I thought it had interesting facts and information that people may not have known about. I liked how you asked questions thought out your blog that made you think about what the world would be like with out slavery. I noticed that you asked a lot of questions and answered them but I was just wondering a little about what you think the world would be like with slavery and if you would try and stop it. Great blog! - Dedaes
Thanks Dedaes for the great comment it really seemed like you read through it well! I tried to ask questions so my blog post can be open to interpretation and to make people think about what there reading as well. Thanks for reading my blog! ~Caitlin
ReplyDeleteCaitlin,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really thought provoking blog. "What might have happened if it had not happened," that is a great question, that I really thought about while reading. Why were slaves only considered 3/5 of a person? All in all, this is a really great and interesting blog!
Lyssa
Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a really interesting blog. When you said "If slavery wasn’t abolished our world as we know it would be changed gone." I thought that that was a really bold statement that I agree with. President Obama wouldn't be president, and who knows what could of happened to the world we know now if we didn't abolish slavery. For every story there are two sides. What kind of arguments did people that wanted slaves argue? Overall, this was a great blog that got e thinking. Thank you,
Piper
Dear Caitlin,
ReplyDeleteNice work! I love the information you gave us about life before the thirteenth amendment. I think that your information is very informative. This was very interesting to read. What do you think would have happened if this amendment was not passed?
Macey