Saturday, February 23, 2013


 Tea party? More like tea war declaration!
Written by Silas Godlee-Campbell 


           "The distinctions between Virginians, Pennsylvanians, New Yorkers, and New Englanders are no more. I am not a Virginian, but an American!"
 This statement was made by Patrick Henry (an orator during the movement for independence) shortly after the Boston Tea Party.

          The reason  that this "tea party" was so historically  important was not that Mr. beary actually showed up (he didn't)  it was that during the Boston Tea Party  English settlers dumped 12 million dollars worth of tea into the Boston harbor. That's 27,180,000 cups! Now the English settlers didn't do this out of celebration or boredom they did this to get back on England, because England was taxing them for things that they didn't tax the rest of England for such as tea or beans. Now the English settlers were a little ticked by this but what really got their knickers in a twist was that they didn't get a say in how they were taxed and they couldn't try to change the previous taxes, this is called taxing without representation.

           This event was one of the major turning points in American history. If the English settlers didn't get so fed up the country might be a completely different place maybe we would all be English or maybe our land would be sold and America would be controlled by 17 different countries. So next time you're enjoying the hearty taste of a Big Mac be thankful that the English settlers had the back bone to fight back against their English depressors.

 Sources
 http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_came_first_Boston_massacre_or_Boston_tea_party
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_taxation_without_representation
https://docs.google.com/a/catlin.edu/document/d/1L2IsJucS_2BMw8Bb8B_jP7rcF6SW-tZIhPX3JAZxD4g/edit?pli=1












19 comments:

  1. Silas,
    I really liked the flow of your blog, but I think you could have added more information on the actual tea "party" itself. Although I really appreciated that you said why it had happened, and how it could have affected America today.
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Silas,
    I liked the way you added a little humor, which made it a lot easier to read. I agree with Lyssa. Some more information on the Tea Party would help. I also liked the quote you put at the top. The whole piece was really well put together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you start your post of with a quote, it sets a nice tone. "Knickers in a twist made me laugh and think of you. I thought that you could have involved a little more information about the taxes that england made, i was very interested in that. but other then that great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your great comments I really appreciate the constructive criticism I'm sorry for not including more information on the taxes. But if you want to learn more about the boston tea party the adress for a great site is right below this reply.

    http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/teaparty.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like how you started the post. It really caught my attention. I think that you clearly put a lot of time and research into this. You even gave us a site for further info. I love your enthusiastic approach to this. I think you could have gone into more detail about why Great Britain imposed taxes on the colonies and why they were not allowed a voice in the government. Overall, it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Silas, I think your use of dialect makes this post a lot more interesting. The Dialogue at the beginning definitely caught my attention. I also really liked how you made it a "fun" read. The one thing to consider is that you might have made it a bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PSY
    I liked how you used a quote to start of the blog also the information was all very good. You could have added your opinion more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Silas,

    The dialect in this post makes it more appealing in interesting. I liked the fact that I could tell that you understood this. I think you could make it a bit longer otherwise keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silas,
    I liked how you added humor into your post because it made it appealing and fun to read. I also liked how you started off your post with a quote because it gave a nice flow to the post. This post might be lacking a little bit of actual information about the Tea Party, but I liked how you finished your post off with how America might of been changed if we didn't have this event. Besides tea and beans, what else did England tax them for? Overall this has potential to be a great post with a little more information. Thank you,


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  10. Silas,
    I liked your blog, but I also liked the title that you gave it. I also liked that you included the information about how much they spent on the tea. My favorite part of this blog was the last paragraph. I liked it so much because it gave possibilities that could have happened. In brief, this blog is a great blog, but I think it could have been a bit longer. Good Job!
    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Silas,
    I think the funny words and frasses you put in your blog. I notice that you had capitalization errors. I liked how you wrote about what the world might be like if this event wouldn't have happened. Overall, I think that you chose a good topic to write about for your blog.

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Silas,
    I liked your post. I really loved the title, and I thought that it was cool how you put your opinion into such a small (but important) part of the post. You had a lot of good information. I liked how you started your post with a quote. Your post made it easy to visualize what it was like. What inspired you to choose this topic? I liked how you used numbers, that is so many cups of tea.
    -Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Silas,
    I really enjoyed your post and I also really liked the visuals that you chose. I really liked that you used little details to help express a larger point, such as approximately how many cups of tea were poured in the harbor. I thought that your writing style was a bit casual but I think that it worked in this instance.
    Thanks,
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Si,
    I loved your humor it made your blog really fun to read. Also I really liked your title it made me want to read more. Did the British tax for the tea the dumped? When you started your blog with a quote it made me think "What dose this mean?" I was definitely caught.
    -Miriam

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Silas!
    I really loved your blog! It was super informative, and also very humorous! When you said 'but what really got their knickers in a twist' it was very british and made me laugh really hard! I did my puppet pals presentation on the Boston Tea Party, and I learned quite a few new things from your post! What inspired you to do such an interesting topic? Overall it was humorous, informative, and detailed post! Thank you for contributing it!
    Tara

    ReplyDelete
  16. Silas, I enjoyed reading your post, especially the title! I like the silly vocabulary you used like 'but what really got their knickers in a twist'. I thought that was pretty funny, and very british. I think you could of written more about the actual tea party itself, but all in all this was an informative post.

    -hannah

    ReplyDelete
  17. Silas,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog, the title was especially fun to read! I like all the humorous vocabulary like one thing you said was "but what really got their knickers in a twist". I learned quite a bit about the tea party but I wish you had written more. Over all good job!
    Caitlin

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the title, it really engages the reader. I also really like the pictures which also engage the reader. Good job silas's sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Silas,
    I really liked your information! I think there could have been more information, but overall it was good and also funny.
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete