Tuesday, February 5, 2013

No sports OR education!



Right now all my life is basically just sports and school. If I am not at school I am at the gym working on my serves for volleyball or my dribbling for basketball. I am a lucky girl who has the privilege to be able to even be on a sports team, before the 19th century I would still be trying to get an education.
The 19th century was where most of the privileges for women began, and that is not including sports. Of course the women had their little games and stuff but that was not the main focus it was trying to get a good education and supporting themselves and their family.
Ohio was the first state in the USA to let women get education. If I was living before that time I do not know what I would be doing or how feel. I have no other thing in my life besides those three things, volleyball, basketball and School. I think that I would be probably working to help get some money for my family.
I am very thankful that I am so privileged to be getting an education, and such a good one.

Sports were always around, for men. There was the Olympics held in ancient Greece in 776 B.C., women, of course, were excluded to this event, so they started their own games of Hera to honor the Greek goddesses who ruled over the women and the Earth. About four hundred years later Kyniska, a Spartan princess, won the  Olympic chariot race, but is barred from collecting her prize in person. If that were me I would personally be very angry for not being able to receive an award in person just because I am a women.

Ok, so I think you can tell that I love both sports and education equally and I am grateful for both so I am now done with this blog, thanks for reading! :)



Works Cited:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_American_Revolution

http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/chap5a.html

http://www.sportswomenfitness.com/start-sports/history-of-women-sports/

http://www.northnet.org/stlawrenceaauw/timeline.htm

8 comments:

  1. D,
    I really liked your blog post. I thought it was really neat that you talked about how you are lucky to live in a time where you can play sports and get a good education. I also like how you talked about the history of some sports in ancient Greece, and how you said that if that were you, you would be mad. Nice job!
    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ellie,
      Thanks for reading and commenting! I am glad you enjoyed it

      Delete
  2. Nice job talking about how this affected your life, and not just the people before you. This gave a good insight as to what it would be like without sports. I started reading the post, and I thought you could have made a bit more entertaining beginning, but the whole story all together was great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jackson! I will consider all of your suggestions for the next time I blog or share anything. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment this blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jackson, I was just wondering what I could have done to make it more interesting at the beginning. - Dedaes

      Delete
  4. Dedaes,
    This was a great post that I can relate to. I would be a totally different person if I didn't dance or go to school. I also agree with you when you said that you feel privileged to have such a good education. I liked how you talked not only a few decades ago, but all the way back to 776 B.C. It made the blog post interesting because I didn't know anything about the games of Hera. What inspired you to write about this interesting topic? All in all, this was a great post that provoked me to think about what my life would be if I lived in the 19th century or earlier. Thanks,


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked your post because i can relate to it. It is weird to think about m life without sports and how it would affect it. I liked how you talked about the Olympics because I think it really fits with this topic. THis was a great post!
    -Mason

    ReplyDelete
  6. To Dedaes,
    I love how you brought up women's rights! This is a very serious matter, that to this day is still unequal! It would be hard to imagine how life without school would be like!
    How would your life be without education and basic rights?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete