Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Assembly Line


In modern time cars are made quickly and efficiently. A car can be put together in only a few hours, but do you know the man behind the idea? Today I’m going to show to you the beginning of mass production of the model T in the Ford Motor Company.
First It would make the most sense if I explained what and how the assembly line works. There is a conveyor belt that is in a huge room or factory. Two people or machines are on either side. Each person focus on one part of whatever there building. All day they will only work on that one part/place. The goal is to have each person/machine move as little as possible. While still making the final product.
The assembly line was first thought and invented in 1776 in Adam Smith book The Wealth Of The Nations. In the book he describes about the classic economics. In the book it describes something like the assembly line. Thus creating the idea for the assembly line.
The first time the assembly line was used though, was in Eli Whitney's factory which made muskets and other weapons. Each person only working on a small part or parts of the gun. There was one problem, if the gun was damaged or hurt it had to be custom repaired.
Henry for though is the one who got the assembly line famous for mass production. His friend and fellow colleague William “Pa” Klann Explained the idea to Mr. Ford after he had gone to visit the Chicago Slaughter house. They had an deassembly line which took away parts of the meet of the pig or cow. Henry Ford took this up at once and it is also how they made the Model T. The model T was made from September 1908 to October 1927. More than 15,000,000 were made and sold. This was all with help of the assembly line.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Ford
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assembly_line
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=assembly+line&FORM=HDRSC2#

14 comments:

  1. Hi Fritz,

    I really thank you for your post. I am actually doing a teach a class on this subject and I like how you put the information clearly in you post. Would you mind if I used some of the info and sourced you? Also, what are assembly lines like today?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats cool! Yes, you may use some of my work thats great. They look way cleaner if you look on line and just type in modern day assembly line it will come yup. Thanks for liking my post!

      Cheers

      Delete
  2. fritz my boy,

    I really enjoyed your blog because you treated me like I was there with you. You provided good information about the assemely line and how it worked. In the future I recomend that you talk a bit more about the cars today and how they have changed. Good post fritz:0

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey fritz, this was really cool i like how you explained its modern use and its creation great job

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fritz,

    Thanks for writing such a great blog! I liked how you thoroughly explained how an assembly lines work so I know what it was. I also like the image that you added into the blog. I think that you should have wrote a little more about modern uses of the assembly line, but other than that, great post!

    Nathaniel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fritz,

    Great blog! I really like how you put it in context by explaining the beginning of the assembly line, and then you go back to your original idea of Henry Ford. Very good detail about the specifics and how it related to the Industrial Revolution. Did they really make that many Model T's? Overall great post though Fritz!
    Liam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fritz,
    What an interesting blog post! I never knew where the assembly line came form. You gave good information on how the assembly line was started, and how it was used. Was the Model T the first car ever made with the assembly line? Also, when exactly did other car makers notice this great idea and start to use it? I thought you could of gave more information of how the assembly line has changed (if it has), but overall this was a great post. Thank you,


    Piper

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fritz,
    I like how you tied your blog post in with cars! It's weird to think that there wasn't such thing of an assembly line back then! I liked how you had a lot of facts that most people would know, and how you mentioned the first assembly line for cars!

    Gracie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fritzito,
    I liked your intro about modern day assembly of automobiles. Your quick descriptions got the point across without wearing out a topic. Great job!
    Hang loose,
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fritz,
    I thought this was an informative blog, and I actually never new where the assembly line originated, and what it did. I liked your grammar in your blog, and I liked how you compared different people, and assembly lines together. It might have been better to compare a little bit to cars now, and cars then. All in all, great blog!
    Lyssa

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fritz,
    I think your blog was pretty informative! Before this I never knew where a assembly like originated from. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Fritz,
    Great post! I love how you were extremely to the point. I thought that the image you put into this post helped me visualize what the assembly line at the time would have looked like. I learned a lot how modern things are made. I love how you narrate this post and that keeps the reader listening. You did a great job holding my attention through the post. What modern goods are made with this method? Great work!
    Macey

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really liked how you put a lot of effort into this post. I though it was very good but you could have had a it more information at the end explaining it more. This was a really good post though!
    -Mason

    ReplyDelete
  13. To Fritz F,
    I love how you explained what an assembly line was, and the uses for it! Thanks for sharing that! I absolutely appreciate the image you put into this post, because it really helped me visualize what an assembly line might look during that time period. I love ho you narrated this post and even kept me engaged! Are they any modern goods that still use this method? If so, what are they?

    ReplyDelete