Evolution of the Telephone
by: Maggie Craven
A major breakthrough during the industrial revolution was Alexander Graham Bell's invention of the telephone. Bell's mother and and wife were both deaf so that encouraged his research in hearing and speech. He first invented was the microphone which later turned into the "speech machine" more commonly known nowadays as the telephone. Bell was awarded the first ever patent for the telephone in 1876. Thomas Watson worked alongside Bell throughout the invention. They used reeds, vibration, magnets, currents, and more to make the invention possible.
After they had made the first ever practical telephone Bell and Watson started their own telephone business. They kept advancing their business with inventions like the rotary-dial telephone (the one where you rotate the circular dial to put in the number you wish to call). Bell died August 2nd, 1922 at the age of 75, but his invention lives on and continues to evolve.
Telephone Timeline
In the 1940's cellular telephone started being put into action. Inventors started with the "hand-held radio transceivers" and continued with devices people could use in their automobiles. In 1947 AT&T commercialized the MTS (mobile telephone services). This service however was nothing like what we have now. The equipment itself weighed about 80 pounds and customers were a rarity.
The advancements in telephones is probably one of the most astonishing inventions of all time! It's amazing to see what our phones can do now compared to back when they first started. Also the popularity of phones has increased tremendously and so has the need. We use our phones for social purposes and many work purposes as well. I wouldn't doubt that about 99% percent of the people in america know someone who owns an iPhone or smartphone never the less probably owning one themselves.
sources
http://www.history.com/photos/inventions-communication/photo5
http://www.biography.com/people/alexander-graham-bell-9205497
http://www.greatachievements.org/?id=3625



Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed how much you knew about the telephone. I see in the picture that you posted that there are more telephones listed there than you talked about. Where there any huge advancements in telephones that you didn't talk about? I thought that overall that this was a very good post, and I love all of the pictures.
-Piper
Piper,
DeleteThank you!:) Well the telephone was a pretty continuous advancement so there were definitely things I didn't cover, but I tried to include all the main and most well known advancements.
-Maggie
Dear Maggie
DeleteI really like that in the beginning you gave a bit of background story it helped me understand the reason AGB invented the telephone. I thought that the beginning was a little bit choppy but other than that you nailed it. Great post!
-silas-
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI think this was a very interesting topic for you to choose. I liked how you went over the history of telephones, even after Alexander Graham Bell died. My Question: About how many people had the first phones by AT&T in 1947, and about how much did they cost?
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI think this was a very well-written blog post and it really showed how much you know about the telephone. I enjoyed reading this blog post and I think you did a great job with the visuals! Very nice Blog Post!
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteThis was a FANTASTIC blog post!! Everything was wonderful. I did however, have one suggestion. I would have loved if you had included a paragraph or a couple of sentences about how we humans use the telephone so much, and about the cost of it all. Overall, great and no spelling, grammer, or sentence errors.
Zoe
Hey Maggie,
ReplyDeleteThis was really cool. I loved how you put nice pictures that were really helpful. This was really great. I was wondering, based on the evolution of the phone, what might become of it next?
From Roy
DeleteMaggie,
ReplyDeleteI loved the formate of everything it made it look really neat and nice. I also like how you choose the topic of the Telephone and I found it very interesting, and I like how you put a timeline of the "evolution" of phones.
___Wilson______
proud lydians
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you included pictures that really went with the content. Also I like how you included you opinion on the subject throughout the blog. It is also packed with good information. :)
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post. I liked how you took the reader through the history of telephones. I was also in a very well put together format. It also had a lot of good info. I really liked the telephone timeline, it was quite cool.
Also, my question is how expensive/limited were the first ever commercialized telephones?
DeleteMaggie,
ReplyDeleteI like how you described alexanders life before his invention and how others thought about. You had good vocabulary and I liked your pictures of him and the different types of phones. The interesting part of your last bit was about how early the cellular phone dated back. All the way back to 1947!!!
over all good job maggie
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI like this blog, its great! I like how you included information about his deaf relatives, and how that lead to him studying hearing and speech. I also like the telephone diagram, it told me how telephones evolved over time. I also liked how you didn't just include telephones, and how you included cell phones. Who invented the first cell phone? This is a great post, great job!
Nathaniel
Magster,
ReplyDeleteNice job! You did very well at building up a backstory before his invention. Tying the modern day, cellular telephone, into your story and how that added to the evolution of telephones was very enlightening. The graphics (photos and drawings) wer very good and kept the reader interested.
Great job!
Mia
Proud Lydian
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post. I loved the "telephone timeline", and how it was in pictures. I liked how you started with Bell, and went through most of the stages of phones all the way to the i phone. Your post was very east to follow. I learned about the first telephone, and it is sort of hard to believe that we have evolved that particular invention so far. I started out with just a phone, and look how much an i phone can do! Thank you for your post,
-Isabel
MAGGIE,
ReplyDeleteGOOD JOB! I LIKE THAT YOU CHOSE SUCH A SPECIFIC TOPIC. (MOST PEOPLE JUST CHOSE A REVOLUTION) AND I LIKE THAT YOU DIDN'T JUST TALK ABOUT PHONES, BUT YOU ALSO WENT INTO DETAIL ABOUT THE PERSON WHO INVENTED IT AND HIS FAMILY MEMBERS ASWELL. I ALSO LIKE THAT YOU PUT GOOD PICTURES IN. NICE WORK! I CAN TELL YOU PUT A LOT OF TIME INTO THIS.
-CAROLYN SEELEY
:)
I like how you talk about the number of people who had phones when it was first made to now. I thought that it was a really cool idea because no cell phones and smart phones are very common, and it was also a really good piece.
ReplyDelete-Laura
Maggie,
ReplyDeleteThis blog obviously showed that you researched this topic really hard. I really liked how you showed the Speech Machines evolution. It really helped me picture the how little of the differences were but they eventually addd up to make a big difference. D you know what year each model was made?
This so so intriguing to learn about.
-Miriam
The pictures are very explanatory and give great visual aid to the writing. And you also taught me that AT&T has been around since the 1940s!
ReplyDeleteMaggie,
ReplyDeleteCool topic and good job. This was very interesting and contains most of the basic information. This is very interesting.
-/\
Sent from my iPhone