Child Labor in the Industrial Revolution
Have you ever worked in a factory with almost no breaks for 12 hours a day, and it was a possibility you wouldn’t be paid? These are just some of the the horrible working conditions child laborers faced during the Industrial Revolution. In England in 1750, 14% of factory workers were children. If child workers failed to reach the quota required by their supervisors, they would be punished severely, and their supervisors would make sure their fellow child workers saw what happened. It was very surprising to me that children under the age of nine were allowed to work in factories in Britain until 1833, when Parliament passed the Factory Act which banned them from working. Factory owners could opt to not pay their child laborers if they provided essentials such as shelter, clothing, food, and water. Children were sometimes dragged semi-conscious and naked from their ragtag bedding early in the morning as to assure they wouldn’t be late. Some children working in the fields instead of factories would work 14 hour days in extreme temperatures. Perhaps the strangest fact to me is that the labor laws stopping such maniacal behavior were not supported by many parents of the child workers, and this was true because the children received barely ample supplies for living. Many orphaned children were siphoned into factory jobs, and therefore government funds wouldn't be used on orphanage supplies. The children working in factories for a few extra coins for their families were labeled "free labour children", and factory owners were eager to employ them. Multiple child workers have testified over the years, and one 8 year old testified that he once tried to run away from the mill he worked at, but his parents had sold him to the mill owner for 15 shillings for six years. He stated that he tried to run away twice, and both times one of the supervisors whipped him without mercy. Some of the causes to limit child labor came from doctors, and they said that epidemics could easily spread through children miners working dirtily in close quarters. The Ten Hours Bill of 1847 stated that children over nine and women could only work ten hours, and another act called the Regulation of Child Labor Law paid inspectors to patrol mainly the textile factories in search of underage workers or children and women working more than 10 hours. These were eventually compiled under the Factory Act. This picture shows just how hard the laboring was back then. When asked, the mill owners justified their malevolent actions by saying that they were "building the children's character". The newspapers and news outlets always found a way to avoid blaming the wealthy mill owners, and by doing this they extended the period of time over which child labor was allowed. In the United States, wages and working conditions were only barely better than the environment facing the children of Britain. The United States children were paid anywhere from 40 cents to 2 dollars. Unlike the British, laws of the United States and Europe on child labor did not change until the 1900's! That's over 70 years after the British made a major change. During the Industrial Revolution, many families came to the cities because they heard of many job opportunities, and higher pay. When they realized these were empty promises, they scrambled for money whenever they could. This made it even easier for the selfish mill and factory owners to manipulate those lower class families into putting their kids to work. On the other hand, commoners argued that it gave young men and women valuable skills they could use for future jobs. They stated this although many children ruined their futures by injuring themselves on the job. The Industrial Revolution had many changed many aspects of common living for the better, but Child Labor is certainly not one of them.
Works Cited:
"Child Labor in Factories During the Industrial Revolution." Child Labor in Factories During the Industrial Revolution. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
"Child Labour." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 02 Dec. 2013. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
"Eastern Illinois University Homepage." Childhood Lost. N.p., n.d. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
"Industrial Revolution." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 02 Dec. 2013. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.
"Child Labour." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation, 02 Dec. 2013. Web. 13 Feb. 2013.

I like your post, it was very well written because it had lots of detail and great examples I thought it was shocking that orphans were sometimes not sent to an orphanage they were sent to factories to work, also shocks me that children were sometimes not paid, children could also be sold to factories. When you researched this topic, Liam, did it make you feel lucky about your life today?
ReplyDeleteDouglas,
DeleteYes, it did make me feel very lucky. When I was doing the chapter reading, I noticed that the life spans of people during both Industrial Revolutions and before current medicine were extremely short. The treatments and conditions of the working class, especially children, was horrific during the Industrial Revolution.
Liam
Your post was really well written and easy to follow. When was child labor banned once and for all? Why would the newspapers not want to blame the factories? Is 15 shillings a lot of money? When could a child quit? Here we are, thinking homework is torture, those kids were being literally tortured. Ouch.
ReplyDeleteSB
Hi Liam I like your post a lot it was up front and the flow was easy to read. Throughout your post I wondered why they would even move there but at the end you answered it, that was another thing I liked you answered every question I had.
ReplyDeleteOh and I have never worked in a factory just encase you wanted to know.
Hey Liam, I was just posting to say NICE FRICKING JOB!!! I love how the first line just gets u SOOOOO interested in reading the blog that u just have to! and what an interesting subject as well. Over all ASTOUNDING job my good man :)
ReplyDeleteKeep up the good work. ;)
Liam,
ReplyDeleteyour blog is really good! I think it provides a lot of really interesting information, and it really makes me think about what it would be like to be a child labourer. Was whipping the only punishment for bad children? When and what were the rules for child labour in the USA?
Liam-
ReplyDeleteGreat post! You provided tons of great info, and had a lot of good description. The basic concept was very to the point, and that was helpful so that it was easy to track. As Elliott said, the first line was a real hook because it made me stop to think. Nice subject choice too, overall this was an amazing post. :)
Leslie
Liam,
ReplyDeleteThe is a great blog! I liked how the blog contained interesting information to keep me reading. This blog is very powerful, and should make kids that are growing up now feel lucky that they aren't growing up in that time. Also, were most kids 'free labour children' or not? In conclusion, this is a great blog!
Nathaniel
Liam, I think that opening your essay with a question was really cool! It made me think a lot about how I haven't done anything that long with out a break, and how hard it would be for kids to do that every day!
ReplyDeleteGracie
wow Liam, great job your Blog was really passionate and made me think about the advantages I have with my life and some of the horrible things the lower classes had to endure. I think your blog was well written and you picked an excellent subject overall a high quality piece of work, well done-Freddie
ReplyDeleteLiam,
ReplyDeleteYour blog post was really good! After reading it I made me think about how much life has changed. I think that your blog post was really informative and I liked how you started out like it was a debate. Have you ever been to a factory-of any kind?
Lydia
Sorry, Macey didn't log out :)
DeleteLiam,
ReplyDeleteI thought the facts were really through. I thought it was horrifying that parents could just sell their kids to mills, and for such a low price. I would hope that if I was sold to a mill I would be worth at least more than 15 shillings.
-Miriam
Liam,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed your post. I think that you had a lot of good information, I liked the fact about the shellfish factories. How do you feel about child labor? I also liked how you opened your post with a question, and I thought that that made me want to read your post. It is amazing how low the children were paid, around 40 cents! Thank you,
-Isabel
I really like your topic sentence because it really delves deep into the heart of the topic and makes you wonder really how bad the conditions were. It really brings emotion to the topic because of how horrible it was.
ReplyDeleteLiam,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you started out your blog post with a question because it got me interested and focused into the text. It also made us think about how privileged we are not having to work for hours on end with no break. It also had a nice flow, and it was really informative. Do you agree with any arguments that people who wanted child labor argued? When you said that children were only paid as low as 40 cents, how much was 40 cents worth back then? Overall, this was a great blog that informed people how horrible child labor was. Thank you,
Piper
Hi Liam!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog! It was very informative and kept me sucked in! It was very organized and had really good details, which made it very in depth! You really drew me in with your topic sentence! What inspired you to write this blog? Thank you for contributing such a cool and interesting post to the blog!
Tara