This picture is titled American Progress, and was created to show Manifest Destiny.
As you can see, the right is very bright and happy looking, while the left is dark and gloomy. On the right are the Americans, and on the left the Native Americans. The right is showcasing the new forms of transportation, trains, and on the right the Native Americans are running away into the gloomy sky. Central in this painting is an angel, who is holding a book and telephone wire. This is to show all of the new advancements in technology, and the book is to show that they were bringing knowledge with them as they went west.
In the 1840's, Manifest Destiny was used to justify the invasion of Mexico, so that the USA could continue to expand to the west. When Texas was annexed in 1845, they claimed their border stretched far past where it actually did, which started a dispute with Mexico. The Texans started invading their own towns and claimed that it was the Mexicans, which created even more tension between these two Country's. The American government knew that most of America did not want a war, so they kept provoking the Mexicans until they made a declaration of war against the US.
Manifest Destiny was also used in the acquisition of Oregon, as well as the 1844 presidential election. President nominee James Polk used expansion as a major part of his campaign, with the words "fifty-four forty, or fight." He wanted to acquire California, New Mexico, Texas, and Oregon for America. He also established the boundary between America and British Canada on the 49th parallel.
Overall, Manifest Destiny was not justified in its means by its ends. They slaughtered Native Americans just so that they could expand to the west, claiming that it was their duty to "teach their culture" while they were really just slaughtering Native Americans. They also used it as a reason to start a war with Mexico, which they neither needed, nor did they have to raid their own towns to start it. The westward expansion was a good thing, but using Manifest Destiny to justify all of the killing that was done to reach what we see as America today was not justified. But I am not the only person out there, and I would also like to see what other people think about this subject. So please, if you read this, think about it and comment your opinions on this. I really appreciate the time that you took out of your day to read this. Thank you.
Sources:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manifest_destiny
- http://www.pbs.org/kera/usmexicanwar/prelude/manifest_destiny_overview.html
- http://www.shmoop.com/manifest-destiny-mexican-american-war/timeline.html
- http://www.history.com/topics/manifest-destiny
- http://teachers.henrico.k12.va.us/fairfield/saunders_d/homework/expansion/manifest.pdf
- http://users.humboldt.edu/ogayle/hist110/unit3/MexicanAmericanWar.html
- http://www.shmoop.com/manifest-destiny-mexican-american-war/timeline.html
I think you did a very nice job of including a lot of information and key points on Manifest Destiny. I like how you included a meaningful picture and (just like in class) explained what it meant. I definitely agree with your last paragraph and think that Manifest Destiny wasn't the right way to go about the westward expansion. Overall I really enjoyed reading your blog:)
ReplyDeleteI agree with you and Maggie and I like how you asked us to share our opinions about the subject with you.
ReplyDeleteDearest Sir Benjamin Karp,
ReplyDeleteI really like how you not only gave a famous painting related to the topic but you also gave a great detailed description of the painting. You also stated weather the ends justified the means and gave a summery of the post which really showed great understanding. Good job!
Dearest Sir Douglas H-man,
DeleteI appreciate your inspiring feedback. Your comment makes me feel good about my post, as well as assuring me that you thoroughly enjoyed my post. Thank you for your support, and I hope to hear from you again.
Sincerely,
BK
hey dude, this was very informative the painting, you made it very enjoyable you really had details litered all over the place great job
ReplyDeleteDear Ben,
ReplyDeleteThis post gives great detail on the inner concepts of Manifest Destiny. The painting gives the post the viewer a much better picture of what it was about. But could you tell us more about your opinion, and your reasons for that opinion.
Liam
HEY BRO
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog.I like how you talked about the picture in your blog and showed what it meant with manifests destiny in mind. I also like your last paragraph were it really takes all the key points that you've been trying to convey, it leaves the reader thinking about it and makes them think about their opinion.
Ben,
ReplyDeleteI like how you filled this blog with so many facts! I also like how you included your opinion about Manifest Destiny. So even though Manifest Destiny was not the best idea, do you think it was worth it because now the U.S. is one of the best countries in the world. I like your ending sentence that you included that many others did not. In the end, this is a great blog that shows how much you understand this topic. Great blog!!
Nathaniel
Ben,
ReplyDeleteI thought your blog was very informative, and that how you added a visual, and then described the visual really made it complete. From reading, I can tell you learned a lot while researching the subject, and that you know what you are talking about.
Lyssa