I am a student at the Catlin Gabel School and this topic is something revolutionary to me. When I am older, I want to be an environmental scientist and environmental activist. The way humans have treated the earth, our home, is disgusting. I want to make an impact on the world and leave my mark. I care about the earth’s ecosystem, and I want to educate people on how they can help, with as little effort on their parts.
The problem starts when people drink from those disposable plastic water bottles, instead of getting quality reusable water bottles. Those disposable bottles often don’t make it to recycling facilities, because the recycling becomes contaminated with small amounts of garbage that gets thrown into the recycling bin, or these bottles don’t make it into recycling bins at all. The fuel used to transport this plastic from America to the recycling plants in China is also atrocious, adding to already large amounts of water and air pollution. Christine Figgener and her team of biologists were conducting research on sea turtle mating when they noticed something in a male turtle’s nose. They discovered it was a plastic straw that had gotten into the ocean and pulled it out. Many other animals have problems like this sea turtle. For instance, turtles can also see plastic bags in the water and think it’s their favorite snack, jellyfish. Do you know those plastic can holders? Yeah, aquatic animals (especially turtles) will get their limbs or necks stuck in them, so please, if you recycle those, cut the loops open, so that marine animals don’t choke themselves on those. Plastic is overtaking our oceans at record-breaking speeds, there are plastic islands floating in the middle of the sea. The fish and other animals eat the plastic and die. This is a major problem that requires immediate attention.
Although there are a lot of problems with plastic and pollution, there are also a lot of solutions. There are some people who are very dedicated to helping solve this ever-increasing problem. I researched a company called The Ocean Cleanup. The Ocean Cleanup is a project that is working to remove microplastics from oceans around the world. Microplastics are plastics that are very small. They have been in the water for a very long time, some of which can even be traced back to some of the first plastics ever created and used in the ’70s and ’80s. They are dedicated to remove all the microplastics in the sea, recycle and reuse it and keep the earth’s oceans clean. There is a plan that has just been launched called the Ocean Cleanup. They are putting floaters in the water that will act as a false sealine, which will hypothetically collect microplastics from the ocean to be melted down and reused, instead of creating new plastic when we already have enough sitting in landfills taking up space on land and in the sea. The Ocean Cleanup works hard to remove microplastics from the ocean. Microplastics are the hardest plastics to remove. The Ocean Cleanup has just deployed their tests on a larger scale. The seawall is attracting and collecting plastics, but not yet retaining it. The scientists working on The Ocean Cleanup will continue doing tests and tweaking their invention until it retains microplastics as well.
Plastic has been polluting our oceans for such a long time now, and there needs to be a way to reduce its destructive pollution. Plastic is polluting the earth. How can you help?
Sources:
Photo 1:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600&bih=765&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=CadjXILGK7630PEPoOW2-AM&q=plastic+bottle+trash&oq=plastic+bottle+trash&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i8i30l2j0i24l2.33863.38434..38837...0.0..0.54.273.6......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i67.4VXL-c3w-KM#imgrc=XnjNrzW5LNWLuM:
Photo 2:
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+can+holders&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV3PXW6uLgAhVRrZ4KHUEYCisQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=768#imgrc=5lkesQN3iVpzxM:
Photo 1:
https://www.google.com/search?biw=1600&bih=765&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=CadjXILGK7630PEPoOW2-AM&q=plastic+bottle+trash&oq=plastic+bottle+trash&gs_l=img.3..0l4j0i8i30l2j0i24l2.33863.38434..38837...0.0..0.54.273.6......1....1..gws-wiz-img.......0i67.4VXL-c3w-KM#imgrc=XnjNrzW5LNWLuM:
Photo 2:
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+can+holders&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjV3PXW6uLgAhVRrZ4KHUEYCisQ_AUIDigB&biw=1600&bih=768#imgrc=5lkesQN3iVpzxM:
Christine Figgener’s research and video: (Viewer Discretion Advised)
The Ocean Cleanup Youtube Channel:
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Missy Unicorn
ReplyDeleteI thought that your blog post was really interesting it really had me wondering what other inventions have been made to help clean up the ocean like the seawall you were talking about.The the picture of the turtle really makes me think about ways we could be helping more
-horses11
Hello horses11,
DeleteThank you for the comment, I want to know what you think you could do to help. Maybe you could set up a day to go to the beach and go pick up plastic with your friends before you get to go play in the water or something like that.
Missy Unicorn
Hi Missy Unicorn,
ReplyDeleteI like how you used your blog post to inform readers about plastic waste and advocate for what you want to happen. You did a great job!
-Luna Tuna
Hello Luna Tuna,
DeleteThank you for your comment, I want to know what you could do for the marine life, what else might be helpful.
Missy Unicorn
dear Missy Unicorn,
ReplyDeleteI loved how your blog post really pulled me in and kept me hooked. I loved how you used your opportunity of posting to a public blog to inform people about a vast world problem.
Bristol
Thanks, Bristol,
DeleteI want to know what else we could be doing for this problem and how you might be able to help, it could be anything, like picking up trash or using a reusable water bottle.
Missy Unicorn
dear Missy Unicorn,
ReplyDeleteI'm really glad I read this post. Ive heard about this topic, read about it, talked about it, before, yet reading this made me think even deeper. your care for the topic really showed through your writing. I agree with what your saying, I agree that we should make a difference. If you had a chance to change one thing about this situation, something small but worthy, what would it be?
thanks,
liv
Thank you Liv,
DeleteI'm glad you liked the points I brought up and agree with me. Something that would be really useful would be to use reusable water bottles and paper bags, and pickup trash whenever you see it, especially if you are at the beach.
Missy Unicorn
Dear Missy Unicorn
ReplyDeleteI am so glad I read your blog. I can tell that you care deeply about this topic and the Earth. Other than not using plastic water bottles what would you advise we do to fix this?
bilbo the cat
Hi bilbo the cat,
DeleteYou could also not use plastic bags and pick up trash whenever you see it, especially on the beach. Another thing that would be really useful is spreading the word. If many people are doing this, just monitoring what plastic they use, that would change the world.
Missy Unicorn
Dear Missy Unicorn,
ReplyDeleteThis is an amazing topic to write about and I loved reading it because it is so important to address and spread awareness of this. It aggravates me so much knowing what is happening to sea creatures and our own water. Thank you for writing about this, it was well written and overall really good writing. What do you suggest we do to help?
Keep up the amazing work!!!
-PortugueseGrape
Thank you PortugueseGrape,
DeleteI think the best thing you could do is spread awareness. If lots of people are paying attention to their plastic usage, that would change the world. If you do your part and make sure you help others do their part, we could save so much marine life. Do it for the turtles.
Missy Unicorn
Dear Missy Unicorn-
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog about a really REALLY big issue in todays world. I could really understand and agree with what you wrote, because I also did a lego robotics projects on plastic waste in the oceans a couple years ago. It really makes me sad that society cares so little about what will happen to our world if we continue treating it this way. The picture of the turtle was also incredibly sad. :( What would you advise people to do to make a change for the better?
Awesome writing,
RisingSun13
Hi risingsun13,
DeleteThank you for your comment, if you want an answer to your question, see my comment below. So many people asked the same exact question and I have answered it in full below.
Missy Unicorn
Missy Unicorn,
ReplyDeleteAfter reading your post, I can tell that you are very passionate about this topic. Plastic waste is a very big problem and we need to do something about it. I like your choice of picture even though that the turtle one is painful to see, that makes people want to do something about this problem. Beautifully written and full of good information. When were you introduced to this problem?
MM_Z
Hello MM_Z,
DeleteI really don't know when I was introduced to this problem. I have just always known that plastic is bad for the environment. I really started to advocate for plastic waste removal about a year ago, when I learned about the trash islands in the middle of the ocean. The real turning point was when I watched that video about the turtle. That was when I was just done. I knew I needed to do something, and this was just another way I could get the word out.
Missy Unicorn
Missy Unicorn,
ReplyDeleteGreat Job! I love how enthusiastic you are about plastic waste and how we need to help. For a couple of months I've been going to recycling stations. How are you helping with plastic waste?Thank you for writing this.
mr.samsonRA
MissyUnicorn,
ReplyDeleteThis is a really cool thing to write about and you wrote it very well. I can tell you feel strongly about plastic waste. I always hate seeing pictures of animals caught in plastic waster. What are some steps to create change with this problem?
-elephantsandslothsarecool
Hello elephantsandslothsarecool,
DeleteThank you for your comment, if you want an answer to your question, see my comment below. So many people asked the same exact question and I have answered it in full below.
Missy Unicorn
hi missyunicorn
ReplyDeletei really enjoyed reading this because you talked about something you are passionate about, it really cam through in your writing, and i really liked it! is there something you think that would help fix climate change the most?
-gracie :)
Hi gracie,
DeleteThank you for your comment, if you want an answer to your question, see my comment below. So many people asked the same exact question and I have answered it in full below.
Missy Unicorn
MissyUnicorn,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post and liked how you wrote about The Ocean Cleanup that we learned in English. I think that it is important to incorporate other subjects in your writing.
Hello Not You,
DeleteThank you for your comment, if you want an answer to your question, see my comment below. So many people asked the same exact question and I have answered it in full below.
Missy Unicorn
Dear MissyUnicorn,
ReplyDeleteI love how informational your blog post is. It's also amazing how detailed your writing is! What are some more things we as a community can do to help solve this problem?
-Teeny Tiny Fury :)
Hullo Teeny Tiny Fury,
DeleteThank you for your comment, if you want an answer to your question, see my comment below. So many people asked the same exact question and I have answered it in full below.
Missy Unicorn
O.K. This is going out to everyone who asked the same exact question.
ReplyDeleteHey risingsun13, elephantsandslothsarecool, gracie, Not You, and Teeny Tiny Fury,
First of all, thank you all for your comments, I really appreciated them. The best way to help solve this problem is just doing your part. If you watch the plastic you use, you will make a dent. Another thing that is really helpful is awareness. If other people around you are aware and watching their plastic usage, that is what will really change the world. You can use reusable water bottles and not use straws or plastic bags. That can make an actual impact.
If lots of people do that, the world will change.
Missy Unicorn