Monday, March 4, 2019

Short Story: The Truth About My Family History

My dad’s great grandparents came from Lithuania went through Ellis Island. Their last name was Lithuanian, but translated to English as “red man”, so that is what they told the immigration officials.
However, their thick accents sounded like Rutman, and so the name was changed.
Then they went to Cleveland and started a kosher wine business during Prohibition, which is the law that prevented the sale of alcohol. But a religious exemption allowed kosher wine, so they could sell that. My great grandfather and his brothers all worked in the wine business. My great grandmother’s grandfather was an educator and taught in religious school. His wife died in childbirth, so my grandmother was raised by her tyrannical aunt, who mistreated her. Her aunt was religiously strict, and therefore my great grandmother associated religious strictness with tyranny, so she was anti-religious. My grandparents met in Cleveland in elementary school and met again in college, where they started dating. A lot of my dad’s childhood immediate family moved to Israel, and both of my grandparents have relatives there. My grandparents met again in Boston while they were in college. They married while my grandma was in grad school, and their first kid was born when my grandma was still in grad school. father residency in Maryland, they moved to San Antonio to start a medical practice, where my dad sister and two brothers were born. My grandparents always planned on moving to Israel. They were planning on staying for five years, then moving to Israel, but they ended up not going to Israel until they turned 60.

My mom grew up in Houston, and both her parents were public school teachers. Her mom taught science and her dad taught physics. Their family was originally from Kansas, where my grandparents still live, and both of them mostly grew up there. Then they both went to Boston, where they met, then Wisconsin, where my uncle was born and still lives, and then Texas, where my mom was born. John is a name that runs in the family. Both my grandad and my uncle are named John E. Beam, and I have a great uncle John. My great great grandmother moved around a lot because my great great grandfather was in the newspaper business, and he would move around for the stories first, and then my great great grandmother would pack up all their stuff and the kids and get on a train and go to wherever he was. My great great uncle Henry was a Lieutenant with the Medical Corps part of the Navy, and he was a director of the red cross at the end of WWII. He also was a surgeon in the war front to help injured soldiers. Because blood was hard to transport because it needed specific temperatures, people were dying from blood loss. So he created a prototype for an insulated box that could hold blood which led to more reliable versions of this. It completely changed how people survived because they only had plasma before, which helps stop bleeding but it doesn’t replenish blood. So if people had already bled too much, there was nothing that could be done. But now they could replenish their blood which would save a lot of people. He also founded the Topeka Blood Bank. Funnily enough, my grandparents live about half an hour away from Topeka currently.

Image1credit
Image2credit
Image3+4credit


20 comments:

  1. Wow! SilverWolf,
    This is an incredibly intricate history of your family and it is really interesting too. I love how you talked about the changes throughout your family as well as the important things that your family has accomplished. I can imagine all the hard work you put in your post as it has a very detailed story of your family. How have your family developments shaped your life?
    -Teeny Tiny Fury

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Teeny Tiny Fury,
      I think being able to transport blood was a very important step to evolving medicine, so in that sense it changed almost everyone's life (although someone else would have probably done it at some point), but specifically for me, I don't think it has impacted me that much. I learned this story pretty recently, and knowing the story might motivate me to do something.
      -SilverWolf

      Delete
  2. SilverWolf,
    I really liked how you talked about your great great uncle's prototype. Your family has accomplished so many things. Do you sometimes feel pressure to be as good as or better than other in your family that have accomplished great things?

    MM_Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MM_Z,
      I hadn't really thought about that, but now that you mention it, I do sometimes. Do you also?
      -SilverWolf

      Delete
  3. Hi SilverWolf,

    So cool! My grand parents came from Lithuania as well, but they moved to Argentina and to California. Your family history is very cool and there are cool small pieces of their story that, had they been different, would have resulted in a very different life. Loved your blog and I can't wait to see what you write next.

    Sincerely, Bubble Tea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Forgot to ask a question so do you ever want to go visit and explore Lithuania?

      Delete
  4. Hi SilverWolf,
    I thought that your blog was very interesting and taught us a lot about your family's origins. It also shows that your family has done many things with their opportunities. I also likes how you mentioned your great uncle Henry and his accomplishments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow SilverWolf
    I though you blood was very interesting. I learned a lot. why did your family not change their name back to what it was before it was misheard at Ellis island? Why did it take your grandparents so long to move to Israel?
    bilbo the cat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi bilbo the cat,
      I think my family didn't change the name because it was pretty hard to do, since they were immigrants. As for why it took so long for my grandparents to move to Israel, I'm not sure, but I think it was likely because my dad and his two brothers were born, which probably made it hard to move.
      -SilverWolf

      Delete
  6. SilverWolf,
    I thought this post was really intriguing, your title got me hooked, your first sentence got me hooked, your pictures were simple, yet they got me hooked! Your story was really interesting and and had a considerate point of view. whats a part of your story, or just a family members actions in the story, that you admire?
    thanks,
    liv

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liv,
      I think my favorite part of the story is that when my great great grandparents came to America, and could do anything, they picked selling wine when it was normally illegal to sell alcohol. I find that ironic. Or maybe they were just being smart, because almost no one else could sell it, so they must have had a lot of business.
      -SilverWolf

      Delete
  7. Dear SilverWolf,
    This was very interesting to read I must say. I'm going to hit you with a question right off the bat, How long did it take you to do this?! I liked your blog, because it kept me reading and never wanting to stop. In WWII my great grandfather brought back a giant pair of binoculars that was passed down and now I have it. Do you have a family tree? Is this only a part of what you know about your family? (It's already 10x more than I know about mine :))
    Keep up the good work,
    PortugueseGrape

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PortugueseGrape,
      I'm sure my family tree is somewhere, but I have no idea where or how to find it. How I wrote my blog was basically just interviewing my parents, so it took about 20-30 minutes, and then I edited. Your binoculars sound really cool. Do you use them or are they just a cool thing to have?
      -SilverWolf

      Delete
  8. Hi SilverWolf,
    I thought this was very interesting. I also thought it was cool how you taught us about your family origins but I was wondering who in your family inspires you most?
    From Jesus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jesus,
      Out of the people I mentioned in this post, the one who inspires me the most is probably my great great uncle. He came up with the idea after he watched two people die from blood loss, and realized they needed whole blood and not just plasma, so he made the refrigerated box so the blood wouldn't turn into plasma. Do you have anyone in your family who particularly inspires you?
      -SilverWolf

      Delete
  9. Dear SilverWolf,

    I thought it was really interesting that your grandparents are from Lithuania. I really liked how you explained your familys achievements. I was wondering if you ever have visited Lithuania?

    Sincerely,
    NWfury

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi SilverWolf,
    Wow, this was written so well. I barely know anything about my family. All I know is that my family also went through Ellis Island, and our last name got changed. I love how you say short story but really I only have a paragraph worth of information on my family. Have you vistied Lithuania? If not do you want to? If so whats your favorite part?
    elephantsandslothsarecool

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi silverwolf
    your blog post was very well written, and was so intricate and had so much information, i really loved it! Have you ever gone back to Lithuania, and if you haven't do you want to?
    -gracie :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi,
    A lot of you have been asking about Lithuania. I have not been there, but I would like to go. It seems like a very cultured and fun place to visit. Have any of you guys been to Lithuania? If so, let me know what it's like!
    -SilverWolf

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi SilverWolf,
    I really liked the part about kosher wine during prohabition because I am curious about it. How did prohabition affect the buisness? Did people who were not religious buy the wine because it was legal?
    Thanks,
    snowleapard

    ReplyDelete