![]() |
| I was inspired by this book I read in 3rd grade |
Being the middle child, I found myself stranded in a limbo. At the median
of all subjects and activities. The youngest, my sister lauren, gets aid,
the oldest, my brother Noah, knows it thoroughly or does well and there's
me at the center with neither much knowledge or help. For example, at a
crowded concert, the youngest gets lifted up for a view. My brother rises
up with his immense height and I’m left at the bottom staring at the backs
of those around me. Even if my parents decided to
grant my wish and help
me, it just wouldn’t work. You can’t half help someone and you don't want
to overload. In this scenario, the aid is lifting the other up. But being
nearly 100 pounds, I don’t see anyone doing that. And even if the helper
had been going to the gym for the past 3 years and does succeed in giving
you the view you had been wanting. Your parent will in the end lead you to
your doom. Going back to what I said earlier, you can’t half help and don’t
want to overload. Overloading will send your child up, sending him into the
clouds for the ultimate view, but don’t celebrate. The next thing you know,
your father is tipping over, sending you and himself into the crowd
knocking everyone over in a domino effect. Ruining the musicians surfing.
Or your parent attempts to “half help” and is crouched down on the Cement
trying to find the most comfortable position, but then loses balance while
shifting and…. You know the story. But looking at the benefits of the
youngest and oldest, it may not always seem great. Yes, the youngest is
helped and given attention, but is actually babied. The constantly optimistic
mother may be quite annoying and will close certain doors in an attempt to
“protect you”. The older may be great at everything, but is forced to and
is given too much responsibility. Not reaching the standards of your
parents can lead to a load of scolding. Sometimes balance is best, but
truly this only happens at a certain age, ranging from 5 to 11 years old.
Everyone was babied, lectured, given help, had overwhelming expectations
and has been finally able to watch their favorite band, The Beatles rocking
out. But in the end, I would choose to be oldest and finally get revenge on
my brother.
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI love the point of view you write about as the middle child. I myself have never experienced that, and it's cool to think about how my siblings feel too!! Do you remember what it was like being the youngest at one point? How was it?
Sincerely,
DancingTurtled
Dear DancingTurtlesOnMars :)
DeleteHaving 2 years separating my age between my sister and brother. I had 2 years of being the youngest before my sister stole my spot. I don't remember clearly, but my brother and I where really young meaning we were both probably treated the same. In other words, we were both given lots of attention and were babied which at the time, would have been great.
Sincerely,
Potato Cow
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI really like this blog post because instead of just saying that being a middle child sucks, you got deeper than that and put the reader in your shoes! My question for you is, do your siblings know how hard it can be for you sometimes?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato
Dear LovaAndGelato ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
DeleteWhile not interviewing my brother or sister, they have shown clearly that they all hate their spot and feel that I have it best. They say it's because they feel they have been treated with lesser concern or have been accused of someone else act. My philosophy here is that you take what you have for granted and always want something you can't have. And also, being a sibling is tough.
Sincerely
Potato Cow
Hi Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI like that you focused on being the middle child but you also tried to imagine your siblings perspectives. I wonder if you ever like having siblings?
Sincerely, Anna
Bonjour Anna ( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉)
DeleteI may have made it seem horrible to have siblings, but I really like having someone to play with. While it may be really annoying at times, it advances you socially and refines your tolerance.
Sincerely,
Potato Cow
Greetings Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI Thought your blog was very influential considering that I come from a place where I only have a little sister. But have you ever asked your siblings how they feel?
- Da_Thunda_god
Nihau Da_Thunda_god O_O,
DeleteI know here I talked about the pros and cons of each position, but truly I haven't asked them. But from what I've seen, they probably feel it's actual torture.
Sincerely,
Potato Cow
Hi Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI loved the way that you said that the youngest is babied and the oldest has the responsibility, I would know. I am a oldest child and I am always thrown under the bus for having ALL the responsibility. Thank you for recognizing the two oldest children.
Sincerely,
happysoccerfish
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a compelling blog post to read, especially because I am an older sibling. It was cool to hear a different perspective (although I only have one younger sibling so there is no middle child in my family). But have you ever experienced any specific advantages to being the middle child?
Thanks,
Soccer4life4415
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about the pros and cons of being a older child as well even if you aren't one. One question I have for you is; What are some pros of being the youngest?
Sincerely,
Purplesealsonpluto
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about your point of view as the middle child. You said if you could choose you would be the oldest, but if you had to choose between being the youngest and being the middle child which would you choose?
Sincerely,
ILikeFood
Potato Cow, I liked how you talked about the different struggles of being a middle child. I also like how you used the example of a family at a concert. What is the worst and best part of being the middle child?
ReplyDelete-Pemma
Pemma?, while I may have answered best and worst parts I didn't say exactly what was the best. So here I am to say that you're able to interact with both your siblings because your ages aren't so separated meaning similar preferences. The worst though is not getting the proper help.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your piece in general. I only have one sibling, a brother, so luckily no one in my immediate family has to go through that. I was wondering, what are the best things about being the middle child?
Sincerely,
Cpower23
Dear Cpower23 ( ͡☉ ͜ʖ ͡☉)
DeleteAfter reading your comment, I realized I missed the good parts of being the middle child. So here I am to say that you're able to interact with both your siblings because your ages aren't so separated meaning similar preferences.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHi Potato Cow
ReplyDeleteIt's really cool how you told such a clear story as a middle child. I am an only child, but my mom has a boyfriend and he has three kids and I would be one of the middle chilren. Would you rather be an only child?
Sincerely,
pugandllamarama
Hi pugandllamarama? ( ͡° ʖ̯ ͡°)
DeleteWell, I'm sure I saw a blog post on this, but me personally like having siblings. I say this because you become less sensitive, more tolerant, and more responsible. So basically, having siblings teach you a lot.
Sincerely, Potato Cow
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteIm the youngest and my brother is always told that he has middle child syndrome I never fully understood what it meant. Has anyone ever told you that? Also ive always wondered what it would be like to be a middle child so it was nice to be able to read your blog post and hear about the details of it.
From, thecowfellover
Dear thecowfellover (⟃ ͜ʖ ⟄)
ReplyDeleteNo I haven't, but I've heard my parents talk about short syndrome and all that. From what I've heard it means that you feel excluded for being the middle child or subordinate in a way. My sister and brother likely have their own syndrome because I always hear them complaining about responsibility, attention, ect.
From, Potato Cow
Dear Potato Cow.
ReplyDeleteMy Mom is the middle child in her family and I never understood what that meant. bu nw it was great to find out what it is. As I am the youngest in my family it was still really cool to hear about your experience as being the middle child. What do
you not like about being the middle child and what do you like about it?
- socks
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteDear Socks.
DeleteWell, like I mention in my blog post... what I don't like is the fact that you're in the middle and don't know to much or too little meaning people won't help you, but please look more carefully at the blog post. It answers this question.
- Potato Cow
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you, in much detail described how it is to be a middle child. I know myself, as a middle child, that it's hard to compare your siblings, but who is your favorite?
Sincerely,
fashion_i_like_love_i_hate
Dear Potato Cow,
ReplyDeleteI like how your wrote about your perspective of being a middle child. I have never been a middle child I have always been the youngest. I though it was very interesting and fascinating. What is your best and worst memory with your siblings? What is the worst thing about being a middle child?
From,
Isabella Johnson
Dear Potato cow,
ReplyDeleteI thought it was cool to here you perspective as I have never been the middle child and only heard my brother complain about it. Would you rather be the oldest or the youngest.
-BIG F 123
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Potato cow,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you wrote in such a detailed way. Do you have any great memories that you would not have had you been older or younger?
Happytapiers