Taekwondo and Karate are two different sports often mistaken as one. Before
we start, I would like to make it clear both are sports. In fact, they are
both in the Olympics. Karate will debut in the 2020 Olympics. Taekwondo has
been an Olympic medal sport since 2000 in Sydney, Australia.
Taekwondo and Karate are martial arts. Taekwondo is all about self defense
and may (but only occasionally) involve the use of weapons. Taekwondo
originated in Korea. Karate is also the defense of oneself but without the
use of weapons. Karate originated in Japan.
People often see Taekwondo, but they don't know it. They assume, "Oh,
that's Karate, right?" The answer is no. Because Karate is a more widely
known sport and can look quite similar to Taekwondo, people often think of
them as the same. The images at the top are of the two sports, but you
wouldn't know which is which. If you are wondering, the one on the right is
Karate the one on the left is Taekwondo.
The word Karate comes from its two parts: "Kara" meaning empty and "Te"
meaning hand. This is why you never see people practicing Karate with
weapons. Karate is a sport that focuses on defending yourself without the
use of weapons. Using your power to defend yourself. Karate emphasizes hand
techniques with some knee and elbow strikes and some kicks. There are four
main types that are used today. The four main types are Shotokan, Goju-ryu,
Shito-ryu, and Wado-ryu. Of the four types the most popular is Shotokan.
Taekwondo is a martial art focused on head-height, fast, and spinning kicks
with some blocks and punches. It is also a martial art of self defense.
Taekwondo headquarters are in Korea, and the place is called Kukkiwon.
Taekwondo broken down is "Tae" meaning foot, "Kwon" meaning hand, and "Do"
meaning art. Taekwondo has many elements that you can practice. You can
spar (fight), learn and perform Poomsae (a set routine of Taekwondo
movements), practice one-step sparring (self defense techniques that
include blocks, throws and strikes), and learn and practice sparring steps
(to use in a in-action fight).
Taekwondo and Karate have many similarities. They are both martial arts,
have a relationship to self defense, include kicking, include punching, and
don't commonly use weapons. But they are also different: they come from
different places, include some differing parts, and have different main
aspects.
Now that more information was given on the two topics, I hope that you can
understand some of their differences and similarities. Taekwondo and Karate
are two different sports but are often seen as one. Although Karate is more
well known and popular than taekwondo, I prefer Taekwondo and think that it
is pretty awesome. (Think about giving it a try!) Taekwondo and karate are
not the same, but both are amazing!
Sources:
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your blog post. I love how you broke down each word to find the meaning and compare the similarities between Taekwondo and Karate. It seems like you really know a lot about the topic and like it a lot. I was wondering, in the Olympics, how does the scoring work, and do people do different routines or do they all do the same thing and the scoring is based on execution?
Good Job, WildStallion42
Dear WildStallion42,
DeleteFirst off thank you. Secondly, an answer to your question. In the Olympics you would compete in an age devision and you all preform the same routine. You are then scored out of 10 points. You start with 10 and they deduct a point every time you do something wrong(wrong movement, fidgeting, not strong enough, I could go on for days).
I hope that Is a helpful response to your question,
-Firecracker169
Hi Firecrakcer169,
ReplyDeleteThis blog post was amazing and very informational I loved how you told so much about the different sports. I was just wondering what Martial Arts means? Because you broke down the other words and that was very helpful.
Thanks,
Han Cloclo2.0
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you explained the similarities and differences of Karate and Taekwondo. One question I have is; In the Olympics, can you do sparring and Poomsae?
Sincerely,
Purplesealsonpluto
Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
DeleteThank you for reading my blog, I appreciate it. In the Olympics you can do sparring but not poomsae. And you can only compete if you qualify for sparring. But outside of the Olympics you can compete in poomsae.
I hope that answers your question,
Firecracker169
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI liked how it seemed that you were very passionate about this blog. It seems like you know a lot about both. I have a friend who is trying to convince me to do Taekwondo. I am guessing that you either do karate or Taekwondo. Do you suggest I try one of them? what is your favorite kick from either of the martial arts?
Thanks
Isabella Johnson
Dear Isabella Johnson,
DeleteThank you for reading my blog! I do suggest you try Taekwondo, I think it is very fun and can even be a good workout. My favorite kick is called front kick, I like it because you can kick very high and it is also simple.
Thank you,
Firecracker169
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you took time to talk about why you liked Taekwondo rather than just telling people that you played it and how it worked. It was cool how you compared Taekwondo to Karate. It was fun to read too. How long have you been doing it?
Sincerely,
JestfulCommander
Dear jestfulCommander,
DeleteThank you for the comment! I have been doing Taekwondo for almost 7 years. I (started at the age of 6).
Thank you for reading my blog,
Firecracker169
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you described in detail the meaning of both fight styles.
Which of the fight styles do you practice?
-Da_Thunda_god_
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI like your post a lot because I have heard about Taekwondo before but never this much, I find it really interesting that Karate is going to be in the Olympics for the first time in 2020, it seems like it would have been put in the Olympics awhile ago. Do you want to go to The Olympics for Taekwondo?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really cool and interesting blog post to read because I have always wanted to learn more about, and maybe try, Taekwondo and/or Karate. I liked how you talked about the history and origin, as well as what each form entails. I was wondering, how long have you been doing Taekwondo and/or Karate?
Thanks,
Soccer4life4415
Firecracker169, I thought this blog was very interesting and had a lot of detail. I like how you talked about the different of Taekwondo and Karate. I liked how you talked about the history and how people get them confused. When was Taekwndo start in the Olympics?
ReplyDelete-Pemma
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI do martial arts, and I find them really fun. Since I take Karate, I knew about some of the stuff in the article, but I learned a lot about Taekwondo. What are some weapons used in Taekwondo?
thanks,
Obi wan Kenobi
Dear Firecracker169.
ReplyDeleteWow! Your blog was very interesting! I liked how you broke down the words and talked about their roots. Which one did you do? If you could go back and choose between either, would you have picked the same?
Thanks,
Bird
dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteyour blog was awesome it was really awoke and I don't think I have ever leave the much about mixed (up) martial arts. I rally like how you went in depth on the roots of the words. Why is your favorite martial art?
-sock
Dear Firecracker169
ReplyDeleteI really liked how clarified that both are sports and explained the difference between the two. Which one do you like more.
Dear Firecracker169,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you broke down the words and talked about what they meant. Which one do you like to do more?
Sincerely,
ILikeFood