My Two Sides
My father, was born in Pakistan, and moved to America 25 years ago. My
Mother grew up in a relatively unknown town in Idaho called Bonners
Ferry. She grew up Mennonite, but left the Church. My Dad grew up
Muslim, but he also left that religion.
They met in Joplin,Missouri, and got married. Then three years later,
they had me.
This blog post, is about how I act differently in the company of my
different families.
When I travel to Atlanta, every year, I sit inside, and eat Pakistani
food, and talk. We talk about a lot of stuff, ranging from religion,
(which usually involves heated discussions) to politics. I get given a
lot of Pakistani dessert, and get really unhealthy, for the time that
I’m there.
I really love going to Atlanta, except for one thing. Now that I’m not
a little kid anymore, they have started trying to convert me. It gets
really awkward, because I am an Atheist, and they are always asking me
what I believe.
When I go to Idaho, I run around in the woods with my dog, and hunt
deer with my uncle.
There is a huge mountain just outside my Grandparents house, and
climbing up on one of the old broken down log trucks, the view is
breathtaking. When I am not in the woods, I am either reading in the
comfie playing with my cousins in the huge back yard, and hope not to
get another nail in my foot. they have a lot of rusted nails out there,
and it really hurts when you get one stuck in your foot. I love going
to Idaho, but I can expect everyone to have heard of me, like I am a
legend or something. Random people, that I don’t know will ask me if I
am “Laurel’s son”. They assume correctly who I am, because at that
moment, I am probably the only non-white person in Bonners Ferry. One
time, I was in town with my uncle, and his kids, when I see this kid my
age ( I later learned that he was exactly my age), walk by me, and then
slowly rotate, and look me up and down. First he looked at my shoes,
and when he was looking at my face, his eyes went down again. This went
on for nearly a minute, until I was about to ask him what he wanted,
but then he turned around and left.
This was the only time where I have experienced any unkindness in
Bonners, and other than those weird moments when people who I have
never met know me, I enjoy being there immensely.
My two families are very different, and I act differently around them,
but I am both of the ways I act.
Dear Obi Wan Kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog post. I loved your perspective because I don't think very many people are in the same boat as you. I though it was interesting when you brought up religion and how that effects you. I was wondering, does having people try to convert you in Atlanta ruin the experience for you, or is it still fun?
Sincerely, WildStallion42
Dear WildStallion42,
DeleteThank you for commenting on my blog. Since my dad's side came from Pakistan, and before that India, my family is spread out all over. so, when I do get the conversion tactics, I can just leave (politely) and go to my family across the street.
thanks,
obi wan Kenobi
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteGood blog! Your blog was really interesting and I like how you talk about your religion and yourself. I was wondering if you could talk more about why you go to Alanta and talk about religion and weird stuff there, because it kind of confused me. Besides that, great work!
wooly
Dear Obi Wan Kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI thought that this was a really interesting blog because you talk about the two sides of your family and how you act differently around the different sides. This was a great blog post. Nice work
Star Girl
Hi Obi Wan Kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI love the perspective that you share. It's so unique and I think it's great to hear from different people's experiences. I was wondering if you could explain how you came to be an atheist, especially considering your family is so religious. Very thought provoking!
From,
DancingTurtlesOnMars
Dear Obi Wan Kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI like you post a lot because I have been doing a lot a lot of research on the Mennonite Community and the Amish Community and I know they are not the same thing but I find it really interesting that you had that experience in you Mothers home town. Which Family do you feel more comfortable with?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato
Dear Obi Wan Kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI loved the way you described Idaho. This post showed a lot of perspective. I was wondering do you ever get asked about your religion when you are in Idaho?
Thanks,
decent.potato
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you compared the two different parts of your family. One question I have for you is; How does talk about religion affect how you see your family from Idaho?
Sincerely,
Purplesealsonpluto
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post, because I think it tells a cool, compelling story that is really thought-provoking. A question for you is: Do the two sides of your family ever meet and, if so, is it awkward or totally normal for you?
Thanks,
Soccer4life4415
obi wan kenobi, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I thought it was interesting and very detailed. Do you ever get asked about religion when your in Idaho?
ReplyDelete-Pemma
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI Thought it was awesome how you talked about your two very diverse sides. As me being also "multy culty" it was very relatable. I wonder if you relate to me in the way that I never get to see one side of my family. I was wounding if it was the same for you?
-socks
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your interesting, detailed writing. Which family do you feel more comfortable around?
Sincerely,
funnyshark4@20
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI loved your article. I to know what it is like to have parents from different cultures why did your parents stop there religion? playing in the woods sound fun
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post and how you acknowledged both sides of the story. I like you am atheist even though I celebrate Christmas. Do you see both sides of your family the same amount or different?
Thanks,
Isabella Johnson
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how you act differently when you are with the different parts of your family. Do you spend more time with one side of your family?
Sincerely,
ILikeFood
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how you hunt with you uncle I also hunt with my dad have you ever gotten anything.
-BIG F 123
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI think it is so cool that you can speak from these different perspectives. What about these different sides impacts your life the greatest?
Happytapiers
Dear obi wan kenobi,
ReplyDeleteI like how you describe both sides of your life. What are some positives and negatives about having two sides of your life?
Sincerely,
WombatTaco99