
Virtual Reality is a three dimensional computer-generated simulation,
usually used with a headset and hand controls. It is still a new
development, and it is very primitive compared to technology like in the
book Ready Player One. Some of its problems include not being able to
simulate movement well, bad graphics, and clunky controllers. But many
people believe virtual reality has world changing potential.

The first virtual reality was technically the Viewfinder, originally made
in 1939. However, it would be decades before the world would be introduced
to the VR we know today. Lots of companies had toyed with VR like the
Nintendo Virtual Boy, but none of them really took off. But then in 2010,
the prototype for the Oculus Rift was created, and in 2016 the HTC VIVE was
released commercially.
If progress on VR continues like it has been for the past couple years,
it looks like virtual reality could be around for a long time. VR has only
been used for a little while, but still many companies are trying their
hand at it. Even in 2016, there were more than 200 companies working on VR.

One major problem with virtual reality is that it is very expensive. While
that’s true, if people keep showing interest in VR we can expect the prices
to drop drastically in the next few years. Another problem is that we have
no idea what having a screen an inch from your face for extended periods of
time will do to your brain and eyes. If VR is going to be a big deal,
people are going to need to research the health hazards more.

Virtual reality has a ton of potential to do great things for the world.
One example is education. With VR kids in a classroom could just strap on
their headsets and actually see the Egyptian Pyramids and Mount Rushmore.
It could also be used for kids with limited mobility, so they could have a
class from their own home. It could also be used as a way to plan trips.
You could actually see where you want to go before you make any decisions.
I think virtual reality has a lot of potential to do great things, but I
also know the challenges people will have to overcome if they want to make
any of those things a reality that isn’t just virtual. If the same amount
of work that’s put into VR today is used in the future, most of the
problems I mentioned will probably be resolved in the next decade or two.
Dear ImmaPotato,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how VR will benefit children with learning disabilities who cannot go to school. In the past year I have been hearing a lot about VR, but it has never crosse my mind what brain and eye damage it will inflict. One question I have for you is; do you think companies will take the time to worry about the medical issues related to VR, or will they release them anyway, so they can launch their products sooner?
Sincerely,
Purplesealsonpluto
Dear ImmaPotato,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you mentioned the uses of VR, but do you think that this will be excessible for the poor????
Da_Thunda_god
Dear ImmaPotato
ReplyDeleteI really like how you went into a lot of detail with your research in VR and how you stated the possible applications. But do you think that we will really be able to achieve what is described as the Oasis in Ready Player One?
From,
DiscoLaserCat
Hi FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your blog about Virtual Reality, and I like how you connected it to ready player one. I also liked how you talked about the book you read and how it was about the VR. Great blog!
-wooly
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your blog post because even though in our class we have been doing so much with VR's I did not even know half of that stuff, I find it really cool that you talked about how expensive they can be because I saw one at GoodWill for legit $5. What is your favorite part of the VR experience?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading you blog post because it made me think about the future and the implications VR has as we move into a new age of technology. One question I have for you is have you ever used VR (you probably have), and if so, what was your favorite experience with it and why?
Thanks,
Soccer4life4415
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about the potential of virtual reality. Have you ever used a VR?
Keep up the good blogging,
soccerman1
Dear FindingNeomo,
ReplyDeleteI really liked how you talked about the potential of VR. My question for you is have you ever used VR if you have what do you like doing on it?
From,
soccer lover 555
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI liked your blog, because even though I don't play video games, I have done VR with some of my friends, and I found it fun.
When you mentioned how kids could go to class on VR, I wondered how that would be possible, because that would require a multiplayer VR. Are multiplayer VRs a real thing?
Thanks,
Obi Wan Kenobi
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about how you could use VR in education. My question is Do you think that this would be feasible for kids who are underprivileged? Do you think eventually VR will replace physical school altogether, like in Ready Player One?
Sincerely,
Bird
FindingNemo, I thought this blog was very interesting. It had a lot of detail was very well thought out. I like how you talked about how VR is growing bigger, and how their may be some cons of VR. How do you think VR would be used for classrooms?
ReplyDelete-Pemma
Hey FindingNemo, I have been following the VR industry for some time now, and it's cool how I see someone as interested in the industry as me. However, I don't really see it taking the world by storm. Recent VR games have been expensive, overly priced, and very repetitive, and besides Bethesda, most VR games have been from independent developers. Why do you think that is?
ReplyDeleteYou're GRRRRRREAT, Tony the Tiger
Hey FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI am really into VR ad it was awesome to see how you are interested as well. What do you think will happen in the future of vr and how will vr become more accessible? when do you think this will happen? Thank you!
- Socks
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteThat was a really interesting blog post! I loved it because I don't really know much about VR and it was very informative. I was wondering if you would rather have a class on VR or in reality?
Thanks,
decent.potato
FindingNemo-
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about both the good and the bad things about VR. You said that prices are likely to drop, but what if they don't? And it's still expensive, what do you think will happen? Will it still be used for education? Thanks!
-Slim Celery
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI like that you didn't just share your opinion, you shared both sides of the whole VR argument of wether it's good or bad. I was wondering if you think VR will be in most homes in the future?
From,
DancingTUrtlesOnMars
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI find VR very fascinating but I have never tried it. Do you recommend trying it? Have you used VR?
From,
Isabella Johnson
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI like how you talked about what VR could be used for, such as education and planning trips. When you are using VR what do you like to do?
Sincerely,
ILikeFood
Dear FindingNemo,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you connected ready player one to you post. Do you really think the world could/will be like that someday.
-BIG F 123