Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Family now vs family then

How is being a younger sibling different from being an older sibling? How does our lifestyle as children in the modern world differentiate from children who lived during the industrial revolution? For starters I have an older brother, as well as an younger cousin. In my family, my role has always been the youngest. While my family may treat each other as equals, being the youngest came with favorable assets. Some examples are asking for help with homework, as well as having the freedom to ask for a hand, or engaging in activities almost whenever desired. Although there are many good qualities about being the youngest, there are some bad qualities as well. One example includes being the last to know certain events that occur in which are too somber, therefore that I am “not old enough to handle it.” Despite the possibility of this being a valid concern, it can be infuriating knowing that everybody else knew before you did. You can feel mad as well as shocked at the same time, for the reason being, knowing that everybody else was living in the truth while you were in the dust, clueless.
While it is one experience being younger, it is another to be presented the responsibilities of being an older cousin. Having a two year old cousin has influenced quite an extensive change in my life. I feel as though my title has been passed on. I may be one of the youngest, but no longer the youngest of them all. When I was first informed of my baby cousin, my world turned upside down. The reality of there being someone in my family that I am older than opens my eyes to a new chapter of the book of responsibilities. Even though I may only see my cousin twice a year, before I see him I always go through what to do while around him. My list includes, his favorite games, keeping a smile on my face, as well as not being afraid to use the overly excited tone of voice people always use when entertaining a baby. Clearly from my previous statement you can conclude that I am usually not the best with kids. I simply do not know how to entertain them as well as how to soothe their cries. After a few visits to see my cousin, I feel that I have settled down into the role of older cousin. This includes entertaining whenever possible, having a positive face when in his presence, as well as not being afraid to own the fact that I am more experienced than he his, and when he is old enough, pass on advice. Now that I have filled you in on my perspective of being older versus younger, let’s discuss the lives of children who lived during the industrial revolution.
Children who lived during the industrial revolution worked hard, long hours. The children who worked in the factories worked 12-14 hours with short breaks in between. With much large and dangerous equipment in the factories, children were prone to many accidents including injuries and death. Wages were along the same line of injustice. Children would only receive around 3 pence (0.0415 usd) or less everyday. Some factory owners would even get away with not paying them at all. The adults that oversaw the children's work neglected their safety, as well as punished them in a cruel way. The cause of punishments was often from taking unscheduled breaks and being late to work. Some examples of punishment included tying a heavy weight to the person’s neck and telling them to the walk up and down each section of the factory for other children to see. This would generally cause neck and back damage for the child. Another form of punishment were beatings.

Although there were many people who benefited from child labor, there were many people who were determined to abolish it. The first act was in 1833 when the Factory Act was passed by Parliament, in which lowered working hours for children. Additionally, children were required to go to school for no less than 2 hours a day. A major part of this act was when the Parliament sent government officials to oversee the changes. Overtime when activists continued to work towards ending child labor, the United States government created the Children’s Bureau to monitor child labor.
When these children came home from work they did not have the time to have quality interactions with their family. In fact all members of the family would work and not have time to talk with one another. Comparing this to my life now has such a tremendous difference. Now school is half the day, and the other parts of the day are filled with extracurricular activities. Also I have much time in the evening to interact with my family after school. When I imagine what relationships families had during the industrial revolution, I think of weak bonds that rely on blood connections. Parents wanted their children working for the money, and had not supported their child. I know that parents did not all think this way. I also wonder what type of experiences both younger and older siblings had, and how different their experience was compared to my own.
In the end we as children in the 21st century are so lucky to go to schools that care about our education, as well as live with families that care about us. Although this may not apply to everyone, I know that are lives have definitely changed for the better compared to the times of harsh child labor.

All in all, be grateful for what you have, not what you don’t. Don’t see the glass as half empty, but half full.

20 comments:

  1. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
    I really enjoyed reading your post. I liked that you could speak about being the youngest child and the older cousin. The part where you talked about the industrial revolution and child labor was also really good. I was wondering if you had to live in the time of the industrial revolution, how do you think your family relationships would change? how would this effect your thoughts of being the youngest child?
    From,
    Firecracker169

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Firecracker169,
      Thank you for the comment! To answer your question; I think that my family bonds would not be as strong as it is now because the lack of bonding. This would affect my thoughts being the younger child, because I would have to work at a younger age compared to my brother.
      Sincerely,
      Purplesealsonpluto

      Delete
  2. Hi Purplesealsonpluto!
    I really enjoyed reading your blogpost. As a younger sibling, I can relate to all the points you made about being the youngest in the family. I also appreciate the fact that you wrote about child labor, too. It was very informative. Why did you choose to include that?
    Keep up the good work!
    ThornCat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear ThornCat,
      Thanks the comment! To answer your question; I chose to include child labour because of how it affects family relationships, compared to how nowadays when some people choose not to take the time and bond with family members.
      Sincerely,
      Purplesealsonpluto

      Delete
  3. Dear,Purplesealsonpluto,
    I loved how you compared the two time periods. I can relate to being youngest sometimes and the oldest sometimes because I am a middle child. I wondered why you chose to relate the two time periods?
    Thanks,
    decent.potato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear decent.potato,
      Thanks for the comment! To answer your question; I related these two time periods because I wanted to have a substantial link to revolutions.
      Sincerely,
      Purplesealsonpluto

      Delete
  4. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
    You post is so cool and it is very cool how much research and time into it! I am the youngest as well and I can really relate to this. I liked how you talked about the past and current time and how they relate in some ways and how they don't. Do you ever get compared to your older sibling? I sure do.
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear LoveAndGelato,
      Thanks for the comment! To answer your questions; I definitely get compared to my older sibling in both physical appearance and work ethic.
      Sincerely,
      Purplesealsonpluto

      Delete
  5. Hi Purplesealsonpluto!
    I thought your blog post was a really entertaining and thought-provoking read. It was cool how you made it personal, as well as talked about a different time period. I was wondering what are some organizations nowadays that protect children from unfair labor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Soccer4life415,
      Thank you for your comment! To answer your question about organizations the protect children against child labour, I know from a presentation I did that WELL AFRICA has pulled kids out of Cocoa farms and put them in schools they built.
      Thanks!
      Sincerely,
      Purplesealsonpluto

      Delete
  6. Purplesealsonpluto, I thought this blog post was very interesting. I like how you compared life now with the industrial revolution. Family relationships were much different from now in the industrial revolution. How do you think your life would have been different if you grew up in the industrial revolution?
    -Pemma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Dear Pemma?,
      Thanks for your comment! To answer about how my life would be different, I think my life would change in the aspect of my bonds with my family since we would barely see each other, and be focused on being able to get enough money to survive.
      Thanks!
      Sincerely,
      Purplesealsonpluto

      Delete
  7. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
    I liked how you talked about being the youngest sibling, but also being an older cousin. How do you think your life would have been different if you weren't the youngest sibling?
    Sincerely,
    ILikeFood

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear LikeFood,
    Thank you for the comment! To answer your question about how my life would be different if I were not the youngest, I honestly don't know. I know that I would have more responsibilities, and have to be the one that initiates different things to do with one another. Also I would have to create my own reputation from the start instead of starting from my brother's.
    Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Purplesealsonpluto

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
    I really like how you compared families then vs now I found it very interesting. I like you am a youngest child and I can relate. What is your favorite part about being a youngest child? (in you immediate family)

    From,
    Isabella Johnson

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Isabella Johnson,
    Thank you for the comment. To answer your question about my favorite part about being a younger sibling, I would say that I like the fact that I'm not given lectures and such when I'm left with my brother since he is the oldest. I love the fact that he takes the time, even if he just woke up, to spend time with me.
    Thanks!
    Sincerely,
    Purplesealsonpluto

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
    I found your writing style so interesting, and I was in love with how you compared aspects of families now and a while ago. I was wondering why you chose to write a blog about this topic? Great blog post!
    Sincerely,
    DancingTurtlesOnMars

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,
    I find this topic very interesting to compare how much easier we have into then they had it in the older days and even in my parents era. That was an awesome blog it really filled me with thoughts. What do you think they hd easier then us?
    -socks

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Purplesealsonpluto,

    I liked how you compared the way families operate back then and now. I think it's very different now, with such a technological advantage. Do you think technology has changed families?

    Sincerely,

    fashion_i_like_love_i_hate

    ReplyDelete