Wednesday, January 31, 2018

...The Fine Art of Procrastination



So, procrastination. Apparently ‘the ultimate barrier to a good education experience’ or something like that. The cause of stressful all-nighters, almost falling asleep in class, and the inevitable misspellings and stupid mistakes that end up in the project completed at 1:00am. But these are symptoms of a first or second time procrastinator. I myself happen to be an expert procrastinator so I have refined my putting-it-off-until-the-night-or-even-morning-before-it’s-due skills.



 I have been told countless times by my parents, exasperated friends, and even my 9 year old brother, that I should stop watching Netflix, or running around outside, or having FUN, and just suck it up and do it. But I think it actually takes incredible skill to write a 4 page essay (that was assigned two or three weeks ago) in only 1 hour at 11:00 at night. The final result can actually be surprisingly good. Because for experienced procrastinators such as myself, some pretty good writing and ideas come from the delirious final hours filled with the glow of the computer screen, the ticking clock, and late-night snacks that are the results of extreme procrastination.

 The idea that a huge, enormous project is due tomorrow morning, and I only have a couple of hours to complete it, somehow spurs me into action, the ‘I really have to get this done NOW’ type of action. If you are given a real, legitimate time limit, it is much harder to succumb to meaningless distractions, such as your phone, and just finish the task at hand.


When working on a project you have procrastinated on, you may find yourself getting small rushes of adrenaline, and also randomly pumping your fists and shouting “YES!” when you finally turn the project in.
I mean, it really feels good to turn in a project that you just worked really hard on for a solid two hours, and  barely made the deadline for turning it in versus turning in a project 2 days early that you spent little amounts of time on until it was done, so when you finally turned it in it was like “Oh ok so that’s done now. What’s next.”



Image result for woman hands typing on a computer at nightAnother positive side effect of procrastination is not really having to worry about the project until the very last minute. Personally, this reduces my stress about school. I mean, I can have weeks of not worrying and watching TV, and rock climbing, and having fun in exchange for a couple of hours of really intense stress. I think it’s worth it*. Procrastinating can also kind of boost self-confidence because you're able to say “Hey, I know I can do this two week project in an hour and still have it turn out well” (however you can only say this if you continually pull off procrastinating). Whether you procrastinate or not, always know that the option is open**, should you find yourself wanting to watch the new season of Stranger Things, or play Capture the Flag at night, or even just have a thoughtful discussion with your family or whatever.
Taking into account that I’m writing this very late at night (procrastination), thank you for reading my blog!



*Note: Procrastinating should only be done if a project is individual. Procrastinating on group projects is not recommended because it may lead to angry classmates/teachers/parents/everyone.



**Other note: (This one is for all the teachers) Only procrastinate if you are at least 85% sure you can turn the project or homework in on time, and done somewhat well.

***One more note: Procrastination may come with side effects such as getting a horrible grade, being really tired, and having mad/exasperated people asking you why you didn't finish it earlier.

-MC

For another view on procrastination click this link (video): https://www.ted.com/talks/tim_urban_inside_the_mind_of_a_master_procrastinator#t-831739 

For a more scientific view click on this link (article): https://www.realsimple.com/work-life/life-strategies/time-management/procrastination OR on this link (another article): http://share.upmc.com/2015/07/the-science-behind-procrastination/?doing_wp_cron=1517467571.2776761054992675781250

13 comments:

  1. Dear Soccer4life4415,
    I loved how you added the humorous notes on the bottom. Even though I disagree with your blog, it contains clear evidence and examples. One question I have is; how do you never get overwhelmed with stress?
    Sincerely,
    Purplesealsonpluto

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Purplesealsonpluto -
      Remembering that no one is really going to care in 10, or even 5, years if you turned in that English project late can help you reel in the stress (that's not to say you shouldn't at least try to turn it in on time). Also, having confidence in yourself can help as well.
      -Soccer4life4415

      Delete
    2. Confidence as in "I know I can do this, I've done this before". :)

      Delete
  2. Soccer4life4415- I loved how in depth you got in this writing. I am not a procrastinator but this article helped give me a clearer understanding. What happens if you don't finish the project in time? Does that effect your time management for next project?
    -Slim Celery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear celery.slim,
      If I don't finish a project in time (which actually doesn't happen a ton), I will explain to the teacher that I did not finish. Not finishing a project doesn't really affect my time management of the next project, but if the consequences are really bad, I might try to allow myself a little more time for the next assignment. Thanks for reading my blog post!
      -Soccer4life4415

      Delete
  3. Hi Soccer4life4415,
    I really like the images you put into your blog. It was really interesting to read as well as really funny. I don't usually procrastinate because I feel like it is more stressful, but you seem to have a lot of fun in your life. What are some strategies that you use to reduce your stress when you procrastinate? Do you procrastinate intentionally or does it happen by accident?
    -Square Cat

    ReplyDelete
  4. dear soccer4life4415 your post was very honest and I loved it everyone always says don't procrastinate but I totally agree I often do the same even if you may lose some sleep and I loved your notes at the bottom. one question I have is what if the project is as big as revolutions do you procrastinate then?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Soccer4life4415,
    I like your blog A LOT because I can really relate to this. I always find myself not doing something till the last minute. I Love Netflix as well. have you ever gotten in trouble with teachers for procrastinating?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Soccer4life4415,
    I can completely relate to your blog post, because procrastination is one of my finer skills. In my case, though, I sometimes get nervous while procrastinating because I don't know whether or not I will get the project in on time. I'm wondering if you've ever doubted your procrastination skills or turned in something late?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Soccer4life4415,
    I enjoy your blog because I can really reate to procratination. I do it quite a bit with the Independent reading project because I need time to read so i don't finish my project until the night before. Do you ever do that?
    Sincerely,
    Silly One

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Soccer4life4415,
    First of all, the blog was actually quite fun to read. It contained enough humor to make it interesting, but still didn't get completely side tracked. Personally, I get really stressed out if I procrastinate, but your evidence makes complete sense. What can be the most stressful projects with procrastination?
    -Corgith

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Soccer4life4415,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog! Your tone was light and it was very informational. I can personally relate, being a procrastinator myself. My question is have you ever had bad experiences with procrastinating?
    Thanks,
    Bird

    ReplyDelete
  10. Soccer4life4415,
    I liked reading your post because it was very humorous. I also procrastinate, so I can relate. When was the latest you've ever finished a project?
    -FluffyMcKitten

    ReplyDelete