This year, I started playing basketball for my School. I decided to play because so many of my friends were trying out for the Middle School teams and it would be a fun experience. Much to my surprise, I made the “A team”! Although I play basketball at lunch and I’m okay at it, I had never played in an actual basketball game with a referee and a timer. A couple of practices in, my coach started talking about zone defense, the full court presses, and complicated offensive plays. I was so confused! Thankfully, my friends who play club basketball came to the rescue and explained the strategies of team basketball. Even now, halfway through the season, I sometimes need to rely on my friends if I have a question about a play. (rules of basketball HERE)
Another challenge in basketball is my size. I am one of the smallest
kids in my 7th grade class. It is super frustrating for me to be so
much smaller because it is hard to defend the big guys. They can just
run me over and there is nothing I can do to stop them. Even when I put
up arms over my head, they can just shoot the ball right over me. In
games, I have been playing the point or shooting guard position, which
works for a small person since I defend all small guys. Also, if I
shoot, I’m afraid that my shot will get blocked. I’ve already been
stuffed once and it was not a good feeling. I’m having fun playing
basketball while learning the game with the help of my friends.
Good job for learning not just the game but the life lessons that go with it!
ReplyDeleteI applaud your willingness to try something new. Great attitude!
ReplyDeleteDear soccer10,
ReplyDeleteI liked how you talked about the challenges about being shorter on a basketball team. I would have certainly freaked out if I did not know any of the rules. One question I have is; were you the only one new to playing a game with a ref and such?
Sincerely,
Purplesealsonpluto
Hi soccer10 - I love how you talked about trying out playing basketball even though you've never played in a real game, or when you didn't know any of the rules. That's amazing because I would of never tried it. My favorite part was how you talked about your height and how you are short, because I can completely relate to that because it's harder for me in most sports because I'm a lot shorter than everyone else. -chopsocckitty
ReplyDeleteDear soccer10,
ReplyDeleteI liked reading your post because I play basketball as well and I liked how you wrote about how you have never played on the Basketball team before and you were really honest about it. What were your emotions when you made the A team?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteThanks LoveAndGelato for reading and responding to my blog! When I made the A team I was super surprised because I was totally not expecting that. I was also happy because most of my friends made it also so I got to play with them. Do you play basketball? -soccer10
Delete