Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Old Cars Vs New Cars

We all know those super expensive comfy nice cars with those cool sliding doors. We know those cars that can go over a 211 miles per hour. And we know those cars that those mini TV's in the backseat. Yep, we all know those.

But let's go back in time. What do you think cars would look in mid 1900's?. I can tell you this, it will not look anything like those Ferrari, a Lamborghini, or even a nice comfortable Lexis. You would be shocked at the appearance.


First of all the wheels are thin, like a bike. Just think about that. Would you like to drive around with those wheels. I certainly won't. In fact, these cars don't have a roof. What if it rains? Would you like that?. These cars don't even have windows!. With all of this information, imagine this type of car?. Shocking right?. It's fascinating that technology has improved at such a rapid rate. Before, we had appalling cars, but now we have some of the stylish and fascinating cars that have ever set road. And yet, there is still more to come!. What if these cars could fly?. I certainly bet that these new cars in the future would have a much greater capacity to do certain tasks then some of these cars now!.

Troubles of the first car:
Steam powered egine:
The first car was the steam car. This car was powered by a steam engine. "A steam engine is an external combustion engine (ECE) where the fuel is combusted away from the engine, as opposed to an internal combustion engine (ICE) where the fuel is combusted within the engine" One of the greatest technological challenges to the steam car is focused on it's boiler. A boiler is,  is a device used to create steam by applying heat energy to water. The boiler represented a lot of the car's mass making the car very heavy, and it forced the driver to be much more careful when driving the car.

Fuel cell and electric cars:
This invention has been fairly recent. A fuel cell is a device that converts the chemical energy from a fuel into electricity through a chemical reaction of positively charged hydrogen ions with oxygen or another oxidizing agent. As most of you know, a fast paced  problem has occurred recently in the past decade. The temperature of our atmosphere has drastically changed through a process called global warming. These new efficient cars don't produce harmful gases like carbon dioxide. These cars are completely safe. The only byproduct that a hydrogen fuel cell produces is water. Another fairly recent invention also is completely safe for the environment. Electric cars or as most people call them (smart cars). Hopefully we can continue to use more of these types of cars!

Hidden figures:
Ok let me ask you this question. Who fist invented the car?.
Even though most people don't know who invented the first car, if you typed these exact words on to your serach engine, it would immediately come up with Karl Benz.
But wait.
Did Karl invent the car by himself?
Is he just getting all the credit for doing it by himself?
And guess what...
There where some hidden figures (people who help, but don't get credit as much) that helped him.
Some of the hidden figures are....
Leonardo Davinci created models and designs for automobiles. This impacted Karl to further expand on some of his ideas. Even though he might of created the first automobile.
Even though Karl was said to invent the first car, other scientist have created automobile's before Karl that used a combustion engine, and a steam powered engine. This shows that it really wasn't Karl who invented the fist automobile

How this ties into revolutions:
This invention ties into revolutions, because with this new invention it caused movement, more population and much more efficiency.

Image citations:

https://s1.cdn.autoevolution.com/images/news/car-door-types-whats-that-a-butterfly-and-why-does-it-commit-suicide-43632_10.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhz78a-MVvzWzBhqcQ_5QO92UGBgVjl0wTga7QVzihgVK8UI7QAkfK5Lln-j5vZ9_xC9sduvlYABaxUaik38VSGfd-R9pS2vowceIHLoT9v9g90XU71MuD9SqFkyXaRVPAOPRVnHE2V7zqe/s1600/most+expensive+luxury+cars+in+the+world1.jpg

https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjbX6uK5P-pklliDanjA7Urw414uHE6jywrZzssg2QVjTQFt7ahvtNrqp2PY2NRqoA1DGJ4IKVCyqcOGs1XQFW_7M3CKijKcRBMVNmtTkwwmwlq_fEurSvXpemqCDNh05ZwgZutO7M5Rqq3/s640/first+car+ever+made+2.jpg

Sources:
http://science.howstuffworks.com/transport/engines-equipment/steam1.htm

http://www.loc.gov/rr/scitech/mysteries/auto.html

https://www.slideshare.net/robinzon25/internal-combustion-engine-vs-electric-engine

39 comments:

  1. Wow Lion!
    I am surprised of how cars were way different back then! Were cars bought by only important people or wealthy people back then and was it "cool" even to have a car back then?

    -AC

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lion.

    I really like how you give us a lot of info. on older cars and who bought them. Are there still cars from back then in museums? Even the first one?

    - JPLAX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lion,

    Cars sure have changed a lot over the years! This was an extremely informative post! I love how you included each evolutionary stage of the car, packing in as much information as possible while maintaining my interest in the post! One question, why do you think more people haven't swiched to the more environmentally friendly electric car, when climate change is such a huge issue these days?

    I was going to make a car pun to end out this comment, but I'm to EXHAUSTED!

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lion,

    I loved the complexity of your article, and how you really dug deep to show us the nitty-gritty details, but still managed to compare new and old cars. It was interesting to see the contrast of old technology, and more advanced technology, and also it was cool to see the social constructs brought forth by cars.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job on writing about cars and different methods of powering them. I can tell that you enjoy and learn about cars often. Also you know a lot about how cars and the hidden figures behind them. You talked a lot about cars in the past and the present, but what about your thoughts on the future of cars?
    -Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  7. To cooldude56,

    Wow great question!
    Yes definitely it was "cool" to have a car back then, because not many people had access to a car.
    Thanks for the comment!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  8. To Lion,
    I never knew that old cars had such thin wheels and roof. I like how you talked about the troubles in the first cars and how the newer electric and fuel cell work. Are there any other major new car types other than fuel cell and electric?

    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
  9. To Flexi Alli Kat,
    What a great question!
    The reason why most people haven't switched to electric cars is because it's really annoying to keep charging your car constantly. Though it would be great if more people could have electric cars and fuel cars.
    Thanks for commenting!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Lion,

    So would the first steam powered car work somewhat like a steam locomotive? Would someone have to be constantly shoveling coal into the engine? I liked how you described how the engines worked, and compared the cars of today, to the cars of the past. Might I add you said everything very enthusiastically.

    - David C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lion,
    This post is really cool! I love the pictures of new and old cars, because you can see how the design and fashion of an automobile has changed throughout time. Your tone is very enthusiastic, and your writing is very well organized. One question: what is your opinion on self-driving cars and how they might change the entire car industry?
    -Davitts

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Lion,
    I really enjoyed reading your detailed filled blog. I was wondering what is your favorite car and what car do you want when you are able to drive? It was a great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Lion,

    I loved your post. It was fun and engaging! I was wondering, why didn't those scientists who may have got the credit not get the credit?
    Thanks,
    -Sushi is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lion, your post is so full of cool information! I loved how you incorporated multiple car brands into your post. Why are you interested in this topic, and how long have you been researching it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey Lion,
    This is really cool! I really like the car with wing doors. Have you considered including information on the google self-driving cars?
    -nws

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Lion,
    How did they fit a steam engine on a car? Do these cars still exist today? I like how you have a hidden figures part.
    Thanks- Peanutbutter

    ReplyDelete
  18. To JPLAX

    Great question!
    I just researched it, and it turns out to be that they don't have some of the older cars, but they took pieces of parts and assembled it to replicate how the car is.
    Thanks for commenting!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  19. To Ilovebasketball123

    Nice question!
    Yes, their is one other type. A hybrid car. It's a mix of electric and gasoline.. These cars I mentioned where to show that they don't produce and green house gases, but you are absolutely right!
    Thanks for commenting, I enjoyed answering that question!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lion,
    I really like your post because you filled it with a lot of detail. You talked about the problems with the first car and that was really interesting. I also liked how you talked about how cars are fueled. Do you think electric or gas cars are better?
    -KB Blogger

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Lion,
    I kind of take my car for granted (only kind of, because it got in a crash once) but it's interesting to think how new and unusual they were back then. Note that I don't actually own a car; however, I still do somewhat consider it mine. One question: How come electric cars are mentioned a lot in the media, but fuel cell cars aren't?

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey Lion,

    Wow, what a cool blog. I loved how you talked about the hidden figures. I was wondering, how come electric cars are not owned by more people?
    Great blog,
    -sushi is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  23. To Zeidcats,

    Thank you for the kind complements!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  24. To Bobbyblogman,

    Thanks for the comment!
    Yes!, the future cars are great! Cars are getting better and better! I am looking forward to seeing more Tesla's, and other car brands. Maybe, just maybe in the future, they will be cars that can fly!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  25. To NWS,

    Wow, I completely forgot about the google self driving cars! I can't believe that they are cars that can drive by themselves! Thanks for reminding me. If I did have a chance to edit it, I would definitely add those!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  27. Lion said...
    To ACS,

    Great question!
    I was a actually didn't know what to right for this blog, so I looked some ideas up and there came cars! I researched about it, and found some of the information quite interesting. And that is how this blog post was born!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  28. To Eat Sleep Ski,

    Nice question!
    I would love to personally own a Audi Q7. I do like racing cars, but the luxury comfort cars are personally the best for me! And I want that car to drive!
    Thanks for commenting!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lion,
    I loved your blog post because it really put in perspective how far cars their technology has advanced! do you have a favorite car? Do you think electric cars are the future for the industry?

    Own

    ReplyDelete
  30. To Sushi Is The Best
    Hahaha I do love Sushi!
    To answer your question, the reason those scientist didn't get credit, because Karl was the one who showed the product to and advertised it more. Therefor so many people thought it was Karl inventing the car.
    Thanks for commenting. I really appreciated it!

    ReplyDelete
  31. To Mysterious Math Man.
    Great question! Even I wonder, why do fuel cell cars don't get mentioned in the media? The concept of a fuel cell is fairly new and hasn't really been tested. Also, fuel cells are extremely expensive because for the car to run you need pure hydrogen which is rare to make. You also need pure water. Therefor, you see electric cars in the media opposed to fuel cell cars!
    Thanks for the great comment!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  32. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Dear Lion,
    We take our cars today for granted so often and never consider who slaved away to make them a reality. Thanks for telling us about this! Do you think you would have liked riding in one of those original cars?

    Derpboy

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi Lion,
    It was really scary and kinda cool to see that picture of the first car! It looks like a weird bicycle thing. Whats your favorite car that you saw while researching this project or that you noticed somewhere?
    Nice job,
    Tennis MS CGS

    ReplyDelete
  35. To Tennis MS CGS<
    Yeah I was shocked at the appearance of the first car! I altleast expected a roof! My favorite car was most likely a Lamborghini. Even though I wouldn't want to drive it, it had a really classy look! Thanks for commenting, I really appreciated it!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  36. To Derp Boy,
    Hahaha, it would of been cool to experience how the first drivers drove, but I wouldn't to drive that car on the road! Just to unsafe!
    Thanks for commenting!
    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  37. To KB Bloger,
    Nice question!
    I personally am starting to like the electric cars better, because they are healthy for the environment! The only struggle of having one, is you need to charge it constantly. But it's a cool invention, and I truly hope more people use that car!
    Thanks for commenting!

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
  38. Wow, you can obviously have a very engaging topic with all these comments! I love the look and design of really n ice luxury cars these days, specifically rolls Royce. I was wondering what your favorite brand of car is these days or even if you like the look of the old ones?

    -JT

    ReplyDelete
  39. Dear Lion,
    Great blog post! I loved reading about cars because I see cars everyday, and i've always thought about what they looked like a while ago, and now by reading your blog, I know much more about them. Do you think that electric cars will be our future, and why?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete