I'm a middle schooler in an upper school class. How does that work? I'm going to tell you.
Be forewarned: I may sound self-important as I write. Know that this is purely a product of chance (perhaps not, seeing that I do have math talent) and that I do not mean to sound arrogant (but then again, this is the difference between trying and doing). Anyway, here goes.
I guess it all starts in sixth grade, when I took an upper school math class (Algebra II, to be exact) for the first time. That was when I officially became part of the Upper School community- in math, at least. Have you ever moved? You're in one comfortable place, and then you pack up and you have to settle down elsewhere, or at least try. It's hard just to move to a new part of the city, let alone moving to a new country (otherwise known as immigration). But this is kind of the same thing. If you're in one classroom situation, and you move to another, how is that going to work out? But it did, in my case, and I successfully became a cross-dimensional explorer (by which I mean a cross-division student).
And yes, this is just last year, so what about now? Well, new teacher, new students, and a new class. Precalc is less fun than Algebra II, although that may have something to do with both the teacher and the subject. Additionally, I've only been through half of the year. Maybe something great will reveal itself after I get past trigonometry.
Be forewarned: I may sound self-important as I write. Know that this is purely a product of chance (perhaps not, seeing that I do have math talent) and that I do not mean to sound arrogant (but then again, this is the difference between trying and doing). Anyway, here goes.
I guess it all starts in sixth grade, when I took an upper school math class (Algebra II, to be exact) for the first time. That was when I officially became part of the Upper School community- in math, at least. Have you ever moved? You're in one comfortable place, and then you pack up and you have to settle down elsewhere, or at least try. It's hard just to move to a new part of the city, let alone moving to a new country (otherwise known as immigration). But this is kind of the same thing. If you're in one classroom situation, and you move to another, how is that going to work out? But it did, in my case, and I successfully became a cross-dimensional explorer (by which I mean a cross-division student).
And yes, this is just last year, so what about now? Well, new teacher, new students, and a new class. Precalc is less fun than Algebra II, although that may have something to do with both the teacher and the subject. Additionally, I've only been through half of the year. Maybe something great will reveal itself after I get past trigonometry.

Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteThis post is so relatable! When I was little I moved to three different states until I finally arrived where I am now! I too had to pack up and settle down elsewhere with new friends and such, and I know how different it can be to move to a different environment, math-class-wise and country-wise! Was it hard for you to adapt to the changes? Did you feel like you fit in?
Good luck,
-Flexi
Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI appreciated how you explained your personal journey in math and school itself. As a person who doesn't, I am interested if you actually enjoy math, or you are just really good at it.
laxandpizzaandbmth
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMysterious_Math_Man
DeleteWow I am so glad that you told your personal experience!> This so unique to other blog posts. You connected how you feel and to the real world!. Great Job! Did you ever feel stressed by being at the top of the grade in math?
-Lion
Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading about you experience in the upper school. I was wondering, when did you discover your love for math?
-Ski Sleep and Repeat
Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI thought this was a super cool blog post! I understand your feeling of different worlds, because living overseas is like being in a different world. Do you think you will do a career involving math?
JG
Hey, Mysterious_Math_Man!
ReplyDeleteI thought it was super interesting to read this post from your perspective. It's a nice change of pace! How do the upper schoolers treat you in the classroom? Do they treat you like another student, or do they look down upon you because you're older?
Thanks,
Fri
Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteThats really interesting I didn't know you had such a math talent! What do you think will happen once you have finished high school math, do you think you will move to university level.
Snazzy Dolphins
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI think that it's really cool how you're already in PreCalc! How do you feel being at the top of the grade?
-nwsnate
I loved this blog post. I never thought that going to the upper school was hard. I guess it would be hard to go over there because of different schedules, lunch times, (ect). How will you continue taking math when you get to college math since there is no college for you to go to?
ReplyDelete-Sushi Is the best
hi Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteWhat a relatable post! I take a high school course as well but I love how you shared your experiences with it too. Why did you enjoy algebra II more than pre calc?
Great post,
-ILoveBasketball
Hi Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI really like this post. It really gives an insightful perspective into what it is like to take a course in the Upper School. What is the best and worst part about taking a course in the high school?
-Davitts
I love your blog post, Mysterious Math Man! I was wondering, did you make friends in the upper school? If so, was it hard to?
ReplyDelete-Pointe Shoe Lover
Hello Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading your post! I was wondering what is you favorite type of math?
Thanks!
-bumpsetspike
Hello Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteThis was one of my favorite post's by far. I enjoyed reading about the difficulties that you came across while switching to the upper school to take math. I cannot begin to imagine how difficult that may be, especially since you are with kids that are quite a bit older than you are. Have you made any friendships since you started taking upper school math? Great post!
-Be Happy(:
Hey Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI really like the way your post describes life in the upper school! How much homework do you get way up there? How hard are the classes?
Thanks-Peanutbutter
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHey Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteThis was a really cool post! I've moved a lot so I know what how hard it is to settle into a new place. Why do you like Algebra II more than Pre Calc, and do you think your job will have something to do with math later on?
~Dogdoo42
Hi Mysterious_math_man,
ReplyDeleteI absolutely loved reading your post! It really helped me envision what it may be like to have classes in the upper school. However, later in your school career, how are you gonna take classes if you are too smart for the teachers?
ReplyDeleteK B Blogger07 March, 2017 10:23
Hi Mysterious math man,
I liked your post because you described how different it is to take a class in the upper school. At first it must have been hard to get adjusted to going to the upper school for math class. Once you are in 9th grade, do you think it will be easier for you to get around and get adjusted to having all your classes in the upper school? How hard have the classes been?
-KB Blogger
Hey Math Man, this blog post completely what it feels like to be the outsider in a new situation, even if it is was just a few 100 feet away. Are you happy in this new environment? Have you made new "math" friends?
ReplyDeleteMysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI really liked your post, it gives me a big understanding of who you are. I have a couple of questions, do you like being in this math class even though your in 7th grade and is the class that you are taking hard for you?
-AverageOnion
Hi Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteI though that it was cool how you compared changing classes to moving houses. I can really see how these would be similar. This blog is written very well, and from it I can see your understanding in both math and writing. Do you like being in an upper school class, or would you rather be in a middle school one?
- Young Duty
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteHello Mysterious_Math_Man,
ReplyDeleteYour writing really was interesting read and your word choice was beyond amazing! Were fully prepared when you moved up to the upper school math?
-MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn
Hi Mysterious Math Man!
ReplyDeleteIts so cool how your doing math in the upper school! I wish I was that smart. This is kind of personal but if your doing upper school math in middle school, what will you do in upper school? College math???
Nice job,
Tennis MS CGS
Mysterious Math Man,
ReplyDeleteIt's so interesting that you're in an upper school math class. That must be so intimidating, but a really interesting learning opportunity. Do you feel comfortable in your current math class?
Really great job!
-Blog Person
Mysterious Math Man,
ReplyDeleteI think that it is really cool that you are in Upper School Math. I liked how you talked about not wanting to like show off or anything. Is it hard for you being in Upper School Math?
Sincerely,
LoveAndGelato