Thursday, March 2, 2017

Lax

Lacrosse was first played as early as the 12th century. It was was codified in 1869. The objective is to score a goal into the other team's goal. The goalie is the last line of defense. Defense’s job is to stop the other team of gaining possession of the ball or letting them score. Lacrosse was first played mainly by Iroquois people. Then a lot more in the east coast. Especially Maryland. I am happy to say this, lacrosse is currently the fastest growing sport in the United States. Lacrosse was started and first played by Native Americans. Their games were national events and several people played in them.


This is New York lizards goalie, Drew Adams.


I enjoy playing lacrosse because I forget about all the bad things. I always feel calm and excited while on the field. I am also a goalie. Now that I have gotten a lot better and trained a lot more it is so much more fun. I play rec for Lincoln Lacrosse, the youth team of Lincoln High school district. I play club team for a team called 3D. Lacrosse means so much to me. I put every single day into working on getting better. I hope that one day that I could play division 1 lacrosse at a great school. During a regular practice i am usually pretty excited because i get to be with all my friends doing what i like. In a game I have to be mentally prepared for anything and patient and not give up because being a goalie it can be real easy to lose all hope.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cNcRGsvPt0 - D1 lacrosse championship goalie saves


44 comments:

  1. Dear JPLAX,
    I enjoy how much you like lacrosse and how much you describe it. What is your favorite player?
    Thanks, Bobbyblogman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bobbyblogman!
      Your question is awesome and got me thinking. My favorite player is probably Drew Adams, who is a goalie. But for offense probably Matt Rambo who is a senior in college or Paul Rabil who plays for the New York Lizards.

      Delete
  2. Dear JP,
    I didn't know that lacrosse was originally played by Native Americans! I enjoyed the amount of work you've put in to this post. Keep playing!

    -MK :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Palace43!
      Thank you for your comment it means a lot to me! Lacrosse was such a big thing for for Iroquois people. Fun fact It was actually in the olympics in 1904 and 1908!

      Delete
  3. JPLAX,

    I love how enthusiastic you are about lacrosse! I didn't know that lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the US. Do you think lacrosse could ever be an olympic sport?

    JG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi GeorgeJ!! Thank you for your comment.
      Yes it is indeed the fastest growing sport in the US. Here is a link talking about it - http://blog.connectlax.com/2016/11/30/5-reasons-why-lacrosse-is-the-fastest-growing-sport-in-america/
      Lacrosse was actually in the olympics in 1904 and 1908. Canada won gold both times. They would need to have 75 countries playing lacrosse to be in the olympics, yet only 25 countries play.

      Delete
  4. Dear JPLAX,
    This is a very interesting and engaging post. But was does lax stand for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LA - X (the x symbolizes "cross")

      Delete
    2. Hi Climber, that is a great question! LAX is short for LACROSSE. People use it in sentences when they do not say the full word. Also as PALACE43 said the X symbolizes as "crosse"

      Delete
  5. PJLAX,

    This is a very well written, informative, and engaging post. I would probably never learn lacrosse is the fastest growing sport in the United States! Your writing really expresses how much you enjoy lacrosse, and it inspires me to hear you continue to love the sport even more than original as you work hard to improve! Amazing blog post!

    Remember to wear a helmet,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also, do you think large sports like lacrosse and football will ever make it as far as the olympics? It is the fastest growing sport after all!

      Delete
    2. Hi Flexi_Ally_Kat!
      That is an awesome question, and frequently asked. Lacrosse was in the olympics in 1904 and 1908. Both times Canada got gold medals. Football was in the olympics also in 1904 and 1932. But never since than.

      Delete
  6. Hi JPLAX,
    I thought that your blog was very interesting. I found it cool how you not only talked about the history of lacrosse, but you also talked about your personal opinion on it. I was wondering what "rec" was, I suppose its just some kind of cool kid slang, but I thought it would be best to clarify that with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Young Duty!
      Thanks for your awesome comment. "rec" is short for recreational lacrosse. It is a club team that goes to 2-3 tournaments in the time of about 4 months. I know that you play for a rec team also! I hope this helps clarify your question of what rec means.

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your reply! I also have one more question that I forgot to put in before: Are lax and lacrosse the same thing?

      Delete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. JPLAX,

    Thank you for sharing this post! I enjoyed reading it! I love how serious and passionate you are to the sport! I also love how you said that lacrosse helps relieve stress! Great work!
    You mentioned in your last sentence how you are goalie. I was wondering if you have played any other positions, and is goalie the most fun?

    -Lion

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lion! I love your comment and your question. Yes I have played another position which was attack. For about 2 years, your main goal played that is to dodge and score. Goalie is easily the best position I've played. It is a lot of fun.

      Delete
  9. Dear JPLAX,
    What an intriguing and interesting post! I love how you talked about your experiences as a lacrosse player and how it was invented by the Native Americans. Do you think it will still be the fasted growing sport in the future, or do you think it is just a trend and will die out in a few years?
    -ILoveBasketball

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi I love basketball 123. Great question.
    I am not quite sure but my educated guess would be that it will still be a very popular sport but I am not sure if it will be the most popular and fastest growing sport. It is very likely though. I really do not think it will die down and if it does that would be very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey JPLAX,
    I had no idea when lacrosse was invented! That's so cool! How has lacrosse changed since when it was first invented?
    -nws

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi NWS! That is a great question.

      Lacrosse has changed in so many ways!! Here is a link that can show you! http://ths1.ttsd.k12.or.us/cs/studentwork08/john_sarvweb/history.html

      Check that website out and it should answer your question! Thanks for asking.

      Delete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. JPLAX!
    This blog post is soo intriguing!! I am impressed with how much you know about lacrosse? Do you play yourself? If so, are you on practice squad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi ACS. Nice questions.

      I do play lacrosse, for 2 teams. One of them is called Lincoln Lacrosse which is the youth team of Lincoln high school are the district I live in. I also play for a team called 3d. I am not on the practice squad. Over the summer I was an alternate which means I practiced with the team and got invited to two of the tournaments but not all three.

      - JPLAX

      Delete
  14. JPLAX,
    Your blog is really interesting, I had no ideas lacrosse started in the 12th century. When did you start playing lacrosse for a team?
    From,
    nog123

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started lacrosse in the summer of 4th grade going in to 5th. I did not enjoy it very much, but than when I started playing for Lincoln I liked it a lot. In 6th grade I got really into it and had a lot of fun.

      - JPLAX

      Delete
  15. JPLAX,
    Your blog post was very interesting. I was surprised by how old the game of lacrosse is! is there such thing as professional lacrosse? If so, who is your favorite team?

    Own

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Own,

      Great question!! There is such thing as professional lacrosse. It is called the "MLL"
      It is not as popular as college lacrosse but pretty close. My favorite team would be the New York Lizards.

      Delete
  16. Dear JPLAX,
    I really loved learning all about how you feel when you play lax! I was wondering if you will keep plying lax and what division one means.
    Snazzy Dolphins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi snazzy dolphins,

      Awesome question!!
      I plan to play lacrosse throughout high school and if I am lucky college too. Division I (D-I) is the highest level of intercollegiate athletics sanctioned by the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) in the United States. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I

      Delete
  17. Dear JPLAX,
    I loved reading this post. I would have never thought that lacrosse had been around for so long! It was really cool how you said you enjoyed lacrosse, because it lets you forget about all the bad things, and that you always feel calm and excited while on the field. I can totally relate to that because I get that same relief when I dance. How long do think you'll continue lacrosse for? Great post.
    -Be Happy!(:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Hi Be Happy!

      I really appreciate your question and comment!!
      I hope hope to be able to play lacrosse through high school playing for Lincoln high school. Also I really want to play in college for a D1 team. I really enjoy playing lacrosse so hopefully if i work hard enough that dream will come true!

      Delete
  18. Hey JPLAX,
    I loved this post. It was interesting and fun to read. I was wondering, how much time you usually spend playing lacrosse a week? Great post!
    -Sushi is the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sushi Is the best,

      Great question!

      Usually per day I will spend an hour to an hour and a half doing wall ball. I find a wall that is not too rough and spend as much time as I can there getting better.

      Delete
  19. Hi JPLAX,
    It sounds like you really, really, enjoy lacrosse and your writing was very fun to read! What made you start lacrosse?
    -MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi MagicalFluffySparkleyUnicorn,

      Thanks for commenting!

      In 4th grade I did a lacrosse camp with my friend. I did not enjoy so much. In 5th grade I started to play for an actual team and got a lot more comfortable with it. Now it is my favorite sport.

      Delete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. JPLAX,

    I went into your post not having seen an entire lacrosse game in my life, and pretty much not knowing anything about the game in general. Throughout reading however, I not only learned about the history of lacrosse, but how it affects you personally. This is what I love about your post; it not only teaches about the topic, but goes in depth to your personal experiences. What first got you playing lacrosse, and not something more widespread, like basketball?

    Best Wishes
    Zeidcats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zeidcats!

      I really appreciate your comment and your Q.

      My friends were gonna start playing for an actual team in 5th grade so I thought why not. I started to play and really enjoyed it and I hope to be able to play for a long time.

      Delete
  22. Hi, JP LAX

    This is a very well written blog with lots of info I never new that goalies were so Important to the game and helped players so much. Do you think there will ever be balls that track how fast they go? From your friend Bobby The Unicorn.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear JP LAX,
    I liked reading your post a lot, i do not do lacrosse so I would not know much but you really informed me. How did you find out that LAX was your favorite sport?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear JP LAX,
    When I read your blog I was really into it and it really captured me, even though I never have seen a lacrose game. it was really informational and a fun read. how long do you intend to play lax?
    sincerely,
    Eat burgers

    ReplyDelete