Wednesday, March 1, 2017

Alexander Hamilton: From Immigrant to Broadway Play



Alexander Hamilton, one of the founding fathers of our country has gained mass media popularity since the release of the Broadway musical Hamilton in spring of 2016. Hamilton is known for being a founder of our nation's financial system, the Federalist Party, the United States Coast Guard, and The New York Post newspaper.

Alexander Hamilton was born on 11 January 1755 or 1757 (the exact year is unknown) in Charlestown, the capital of the island Nieves, located in the Leeward Islands. Hamilton's father, James A. Hamilton, abandoned his wife, Rachel Buck Faucette, and his two children, James Jr. (Alexander's older brother by two years), and Alexander himself. Shortly after the disappearance of his father, Alexander and his mother got influenza, which unfortunately killed Rachel. Alexander and James Jr. were sent to live with their thirty-two year-old divorced cousin, Peter Lytton, living alongside his African-American mistress, Ledja. However, this tale doesn't have a happy ending. One day, Alexander and James Jr. returned home to find their cousin in bed, soaked in his own blood. He had committed suicide. After the death of Lytton, Alexander and James Jr. went their separate ways. James Jr. decided to apprentice an aging Christiansted carpenter named Thomas McNobeny, whereas Alexander clerked for the mercantile house of Beekman and Cruger, the New York traders who had supplied his mother with provisions for her shop. Soon after receiving his job, Alexander was taken to the home of Thomas Stevens on King Street. Stevens was a well respected merchant who lived with his wife, Ann, and his five children. Of the five children, Hamilton shared a bond like no other with Edward, who was born just a year before Alexander. Both were extremely quick and clever, fluent in French, knowledgeable about classical history, disgusted with slavery, and mesmerized with medicine. Not only were their personalities similar, but so were their resemblance. Some say it was even uncanny. Most also were in disbelief when the boys told people that they were in fact, not related.


Young Hamilton

Hamilton worked closely with Aaron Burr, the second vice president of the United States (under Thomas Jefferson's rule), and Hamilton soon became the Secretary of the Treasurer, which is responsible for direct oversight over the U.S. Mint, the Bureau of Engraving and Printing, and Fort Knox. They are also a key liaison with the Federal Reserve. In addition, the Treasurer serves as a senior advisor to the Secretary in the areas of community development and public engagement. In honor of everything he did for our country's financial system, he became the face of the ten dollar bill. Coincidentally, in the soundtrack, the song Alexander Hamilton has a lyric that says "The ten-dollar founding father without a father..."


Ten-Dollar bill


Alexander Hamilton married Elizabeth 'Eliza' Schuyler, and had seven children; John, Eliza, James, William, Alexander Jr., Angelica (named after Schuyler's sister), and Phillip.

Hamilton was killed in a duel with Aaron Burr, after a long, bitter history between the two men. Hamilton's  son, Philip Hamilton, was killed in a duel two years before his father's death with George Eacker, a New York lawyer and Freemason.


A portrait of Alexander Hamilton


Lin-Manuel Miranda (writer, director, and lead) as Alexander Hamilton in Hamilton

Currently, his story is being told through the form of a Broadway musical, with tickets at over $1,000 a piece. I would recommend listening to the music, if you haven't already. Alexander Hamilton's story is an inspiring one, teaching you that sometimes the greatest people rise from virtually nothing. 






              

19 comments:

  1. Hi on_cloud_nine,
    I think that this was a very and creative topic to write about. I thought it was cool how you talked about both his life, and how he is portrayed through a broadway production.

    ReplyDelete
  2. on_cloud_nine,

    Ahh, the famous Alexander Hamilton! I read this post thinking, "another post on Alexander Hamilton. How creative." Yet I came out thinking, "wow, this post was creative, engaging, and informative!" You have taken on a very tricky topic, as Hamilton is so popular, yet you nailed it! One question, have you ever considered seeing Hamilton live? It surely is on my bucket list!

    Don't ever throw away your shot,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear on_cloud_nine,
    Alexander Hamilton was certainly one of the most important founding fathers of our country. So interesting how he was raised in a scary environment, but was very successful working as the Secretary of the Treasure. Why do you think Broadway decide to produce a musical about him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. On_Cloud_Nine,

    Alexander Hamilton was certainly an interesting person. You did well to explain his life in such brevity, because some books are quite long and the play is also. Do you think the Broadway musical has informed more people about Alexander Hamilton?

    -Echoer

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, On_Cloud_Nine!

    This post was super interesting (and I'm not just saying that to get extra points on our Revolutions project)! Though I've listened to Hamilton too many times to count, I didn't know some of the information that was cleverly weaved into your blog post. Have you considered listening to Lin Manuel's other musicals? He wrote a musical called In The Heights - if you haven't heard it already, it's on Spotify! Enjoy.

    Thanks,
    Fri

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Fri,

      Thank you for the positive comments! I can relate to the listening to Hamilton millions of times (I might be a bit obsessed...oh well). I didn't know about The Heights. Looks like I have something to do over spring break!

      Thank you,

      on_cloud_nine

      Delete
  6. Sup, On_Cloud_Nine.
    This was a supper cool post. I really liked how you kept the writing engaging through the whole story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi On_Cloud_nine,

    I loved your post. It was engaging and an interesting read. I was wondering, how did he manage to get such a good job with the vice president?
    Thanks,
    Sushi is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey on_cloud_nine,
    It's so interesting how your piece of writing flowed from Alexander Hamilton's early days to his legacy on broadway today. Have you ever seen Hamilton? If not, what are your favorite songs from the soundtrack?

    palace43

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there palace43,

      I've never seen Hamilton (unfortunately), however it's on my bucket list. I have listened to the soundtrack, and I recommend these songs:

      - Alexander Hamilton (obviously)

      - Aaron Burr, Sir

      - The Schuyler Sisters

      - Ten Duel Commandments

      - Cabinet Battle #1 (and #2, but I like the first one better.)

      - Satisfied

      - The Room Where It Happens

      Have fun listening!

      on_cloud_nine

      Delete
  9. Dear oncloudnine,
    What an interesting blog post! Do you know how Aaron Burr was punished?
    Thanks!
    -Slughater

    ReplyDelete
  10. on_cloud_nine,
    I really like your writing about Alexander Hamilton I think its great that you mention his wife as well. What do you think Hamilton's biggest accomplishment.

    Thanks,
    TheMatrix

    ReplyDelete
  11. on_cloud_nine ,
    I absolutely love how you talk about an influential person in the past and relate to something in the present day. One question for you though, do you think that this play opens awareness to people who didn't know who Hamilton was? Once again I think it is amazing how you relate the past to the present and talk about other people in his life.
    Thanks,
    WB25

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WiseBob25,

      Thank you for those kind words! I do think that this play raises awareness for the people who didn't know who Hamilton was. Or, if they did know who he was, it tells you so much of his life story and how hard he worked to make our country great.

      Thank you,

      on_cloud_nine

      Delete
  12. Hello on_cloud_nine,
    I like how you wrote about someone who isn't as widely recognised as Abraham Lincoln for example. I would have never thought about who is on the $10 bill!
    -NWS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey NWS,

      Thanks for the kind comments! I'm a bit of a Hamilton fanatic, so I thought this was a great idea. I thought that Lin-Manuel Miranda's idea for making a play about someone lesser known was a great idea, so I decided to kind of piggy-back on that idea and write a blog post!

      Thanks a bunch,

      on_cloud_nine

      Delete
  13. Hey On_cloud_nine_

    Thank you for this outstanding post about Alexander Hamilton. To be honest, I never knew who the famous Alexander Hamilton was at first until the big play production came. I also never knew he was the face on the $10 bill. Speaking of the play, which song from the soundtrack is your favorite?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear On_cloud_nine_,
    Good blog post! I loved reading about the history of Alexander Hamilton. A lot of this stuff I did not know before and I think it is cool how much you included. Have you been to the play Hamilton?
    Sincerely,
    LoveAndGelato

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hamilton is my favorite musical! I loved the way you described his childhood, nothing I have read has done it so well. I never knew that he had seven children either. I think that you summarized his life perfectly. By the way, what is you favorite Hamilton song?

    ReplyDelete