The Large Shoes to Fill
![]() |
| (This is the Catlin Gabel Middle School) |
Isabel (my older sister)
has always been a great role model. From sports to school she is a very
good leader. She is a top notch student that almost all teachers like. Temperament wise she is shyer and more calm. I am the second
born wild child that is loud and rambunctious. Don’t get me wrong, I am a
very good student, but I tend to be more of a handful than my relaxed
sister.
Many
siblings are like the Hatfield and the McCoys, battling and feuding
over the smallest things, but I have always been very close to my
sister. Maybe it is because we are 3 years apart, or maybe we are just a
better fit than other siblings. Although not always.
I
have gone through many of the same classes as her, with almost all of
the same teachers. When I made the transition over from Lower to Middle
school, I was greeted by many "Isabel fans”.
I like the way I can have instant teacher allies without even moving a
muscle, but it can be worrisome. I feel that sometimes the people who are "Isabel fans” are not really judging me for who I am, but for who
she is.” I have many stories about these experiences, many of what I
am not going to tell, but I would like to share one particularly
interesting moment in which I am judged by who my sister was.
The
first story takes place in 5th grade. My class was taking a tour of the
middle school. There were two teachers that looked vaguely familiar.
Both 6th grade teachers. We were walking to our on campus apple orchard.
I asked one of them a question, and the first turned to the other and
whispered, “Did you know that is Isabel Larson’s younger sister?” I was
filled with pride that they recognized me, but looking back I realized
that they were only judging me by my sister. They didn’t know me. They
didn’t know if I was a horrible, rotten, monster child. They had no
idea.
Even though I have an older sister, I have learned how to form my own identity. It is not like the inequalities that I am learning in math called the OR statements. It is more like the ANDs. I can be my own person AND be my sister's sister. Although I am related to her, I am not her, I can be my own person in the middle school and in life.

I loved your AND/OR ending comments. You are fortunate to have learned that lesson early in your journey.
ReplyDeleteAs a math teacher, I particularly like your AND-OR analogy. I think I would enjoy Isabel in class, but I know I would enjoy you. Isabel is lucky to have smart, strong, independent girl like you as a sister - you have no shoes to fill!
ReplyDeleteWise beyond your years. And Isabel will be forever proud to be YOUR sister.
ReplyDeleteHi, This is Reuven Werber, a teacher from the Etzion Bloc, Israel. I enjoyed how you told about your relationships with your older sister. Do you think that Isabel has things she could learn from you, like being more lively?
ReplyDeleteI think its great that you can work on forming your own identity, while learning from Isabel as well. Good look in school and enjoy your family!
Hi! I am Mrs. McCorkle a fitness teacher in Redmond Washington (I taught at Cedar Park with your teacher years ago!, I can totally relate to your "large shoes" to fill. I am a 2nd born and I my big brother was a big football player in high school and me - the little sister. I admire your courage and positive attitude about finding "you". Keep up the good work.
ReplyDeleteHi Tulip!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed hearing your perspective on being a younger sibling. I am an older sibling, and so I thought that it was interesting to hear someone else's perspective prom the other point of view. I loved your AND/OR analogy at the end of your post, and I thought that it was a really cool way to end your post. This piece was very well written and thoughtful, and it made me think more about how my sibling might feel. Keep uo the good work!
- Mikayla
Dear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really loved reading about how your sister is a great role model to you and how, unlike most siblings, are very close. I also like how you did the AND/OR statement because I thought it was a very strong finish! Do you think having an older sister helps to motivate you?
I really love this post!
-Thea
Dear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post because it talked about something I can highly relate too. It's good to hear that at least you, have a great relationship with your sister. Overall, would you change the way teachers think of you as "Isabel's Sister"?
Sincerely,
Adam
Dear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post because it talked about something I can highly relate too. It's good to hear that at least you, have a great relationship with your sister. Overall, would you change the way teachers think of you as "Isabel's Sister"?
Sincerely,
Adam
Dear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post because it talked about something I can highly relate too. It's good to hear that at least you, have a great relationship with your sister. Overall, would you change the way teachers think of you as "Isabel's Sister"?
Sincerely,
Adam
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteDear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI loved your blog post it really made me think. Does my younger brother feel like this?
I liked how you told a story to prove the point you were making it really supported it. I also liked how you talked briefly about how you both get along well most of the time. ;)-
My brother and I are the same way however we have VERY different personalities. My questions to you are; what do you think would be your it like if you were the older sister? What do you think it would be like if you had an older brother instead of an older sister?
Keep writing and see you soon,
Sanne :)
Dear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice post! Rather than talk about history or sports you wrote about the compelling relationship between a younger sibling and an older sibling. Your writing style is complex and food for thought. My one question is, do you and your sister have any pets?
Sincerely,
William
Dear Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post! It was so great to read about how you've created your own identity. I have felt the same sometimes too with my sister Hannah, but like you said, I am my own person as well. Your blog post really made me reflect on this, and I know me and my sister are related, but completely different people. My one question would be have you always felt like this throughout elementary school too? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Hello Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really liked this post because it was nice to see a different perspective. I have a younger sister so I'm the oldest but it was cool to see what it's like to be the youngest. I could relate (even though I'm the oldest) that my sister and I are completely opposite. My question is would you ever change being the youngest sibling?
From,
Imara
Hi Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your blog and could relate to how you were feeling. I really liked your and/or statements and the end, and the picture of you and your sister is very cool. My question is, how do you form your own identity and who are the Hatfields and Mccoys?
From,
Jade :)
Hi Tulip,
ReplyDeleteYour post was really interesting and well written. I especially liked your ending statement. As an older sibling, I thought it was really interesting to see your perspective as a younger sibling. It made me think about how my younger sibling may feel and if it is anything like how you feel. Do you ever wish that you were the oldest sibling or wonder how things would be different if you were older?
Sincerely,
Riley
Hi Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI thought that your post was very interesting! I also really liked your ending. I was wondering if you've ever wanted to be the older sibling or have more than one sibling? Nice Job!
- Isabel
Hi Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI thought you post was really interesting and I loved the ending. It pulled me with a great visual and title.
Great post,
Anushka:)
Hi Tulip,
ReplyDeleteI think your post is very interesting, and it shows a lot of time, effort, and thought put into it. My question is, who are the Hatfields and McCoys?
Hi Mick,
ReplyDeleteThank you!
The Hatfields and the McCoys are a famous family feud.
Thanks for the great comment!
-Tulip
Tulip,
ReplyDeleteYour post was really interesting and well written. I especially liked your ending statement! As both a younger and older sister, I know how you feel, but trust me, older siblings aren't that great! They're really bossy, and always acts as if you are violating their space in some way... Nonetheless, I love my older sister, no matter how salty she is! Does your older sibling act this way too?
Best,
-Flexi