Wednesday, January 27, 2016

On belay? Belay On.


First off, I'm a rock climber. That's one thing that won't change about me. It's been my passion since I was eight years old.
             It all started in August 2013, at a seemingly monotonous summer camp. It was noon, and I was nearly bored to death, we had been swimming all day, and were now in the middle of working on coloring books. I was coloring in a ballerina, which was my current sport. Suddenly, the counselor, Alex, called out: "Who wants to go climbing?" At those words, my little blonde head snapped up. I was tired of coloring a tutu that by now, was so pink it was less of a garment, and more like a deformed pink highlighter. I followed him and the two other boys to the gym, and the rest was history.

This is my story. Every time someone says, why do you climb? I always start with this story.But why is it that I climb? Even I don't really know. I'm not really an adrenaline junkie, but I love the feeling of wind on my face, and nothing but air under my feet. It's amazing how once you get on the wall, you can just forget the world around you, and focus on the route. It's truly an amazing feeling.
           A question I often get is, don't you get scared? The answer is yes. All. The. Time. The trick is not letting the fear get to you. For example, if you're afraid of falling, then don't fall. Use your fear as initiative to get you up the wall. I know this isn't always the case, but it helps to get you to reach your goals. Just yesterday, I was at practice, and I was lead climbing, when my coach told me I had to down climb. It's a form of endurance where you do the route backwards. Thing is, I had never done such a thing on lead before. All I did was take a deep breath, and take it one step at a time. It's that easy.
           Sometimes, it doesn't always work out like that. Climbing is every part as physical as it is mental, and every once in a while, you can get stuck. Just ask anyone who partakes in this sport. It almost always will result in the telling of some trouble they had. That's actually the best part. Because they're so many people who love this sport, you can get help tons of people. Be it a coach that you've known for years, or a random stranger that's willing to lend a hand. I've been to so many gyms in my lifetime, and have not once been denied help. I'm not saying that I always ask for it, but when I do, there's definitely someone willing to give advice.

          I guess that's why. I climb not only for the rush, but because it's such a powerful, graceful, and intense sport. Because the culture that surrounds it is so diverse and has so many devoted participants that it is in a way some kind of religion. One that accepts all people. My religion


17 comments:

  1. Sophia - I, too, am a climber, and think it's the best sport in the world. Half physical/half mental (as you point out), your top competitor, by far, is yourself, and you get to do it in stunning venues. Your blog describes that you respect the risk of climbing while understanding that YOU are the one who makes your climbing safe. I look forward to joining you on a climb someday. (Note: this isn't as odd as it sounds - I'm Paul's sister)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sophia,

    We're so glad that you found a sport that you're so passionate about. It's incredible to see how much climbing has affected your life. Both Brian and I have watched you grow as a climber (Brian from the start and Sarah now.) It's wonderful to see how dedicated you are and how hard to work, and see you take on new challenges rock climbing (like learning how to lead.) You've taken these on gracefully and with strength. You're only at the beginning of your journey, and we can't wait to see how far you go.

    -Sarah and Brian.

    ReplyDelete
  3. -Sophie

    It's been so awesome getting to watch you grow in your climbing. From your years on the recreational team to, most recently, the competitive team at Club Sport, it has been an incredible testament to your determination to grow in your climbing ability. I'll never forget the time we went climbing at Ozone together last summer; you seemed to just hold on forever! I look forward to watching you continue to grow up among the wonderful community of climbers in Portland, and the greater area. See you at the climbing competitions next month!

    -Chi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophia!
    I really liked your post. I really liked how you were able to share the amazing sport of rock climbing with others. If you didn't rock climb, what other sport/activity would you be interested in?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sophia,
    Great post! It was extraordinarily deep. I really enjoyed it, and it takes me to the moments when I am climbing, and I am almost to the top! The adrenaline is amazing! You feel so pumped, and also it is such an amazingly fun sport.
    Great job!
    -Tulip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Sophia,
    I just want to say that I loved your whole blog, and the way you ended it was very thoughtful. There is no way I could ever be a rock climber, but as I was reading I felt like I was experiencing being one. It was also nice that you included how you first got in to rock climbing; it gave good background information. Is that you in the picture? Great work!
    -Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Sophia,
    I loved how you talked about how you absolutely love rock climbing! I also liked how you included background on why you started climbing and why you love it so much! Do you participate in any other sports or activities?
    Keep blogging and climbing,
    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Sophia,
    I liked how you shared your love for rock climbing and when you said it was just as much physical as it is mental. I also liked how you admitted that you get afraid all the time and how you deal with the fear. What is your favorite place to climb? Do people ever peer pressure you to do climbs that you are not sure you can do? Great job on your blog post!
    Kyra

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Sophia,
    Your post is a nice look into the psychology of climbing and physical activities in general. You use your personal experiance to form a clear and correct diagnosis which you then back up with inspiring words. My one question for you is, do you rock climb outdoors or in gyms?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Sophia,
    This blog post was really enjoyable to read! Your perspective on rock climbing is really cool, because you pursue it and seem very determined to do well in rock climbing. The strategy you use for fear when climbing seems really helpful, and I use something like that too when I play tennis(: My one question would be what's your favorite wall that you've ever climbed? Great post!
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Sophia,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post! I could relate to it, and it made me think back to the times that I was scared but kept going or how I love the feeling of rock climbing. My question is, do you think you want to be a professional rock climber? What level do you usually climb?
    Thanks,
    Jade :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Sophia,

    Your blog post was very engrossing and well written. I have always wanted to rock climb, and I thought it was cool to see how much you like it, even though it is difficult at times. How often do you climb, and do you climb outdoors or in a gym?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sophia,
    I loved reading your blog post! Rock climbing has always sounded so fun. What type of rock walls do you like? Nice Job!
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sophia,
    I loved reading your post and I know how passionate you are about climbing. I thought it was really cool that you wrote about something that close to your heart and personal. Maybe I should try climbing sometime...
    Great post,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Sophia,
    I really liked how you talked about how you don't let the fear get to you. I also liked how you used a picture of yourself climbing! My question for you is what is lead climbing?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lead climbing is when you have no rope above you, but you're still tied into one, and you clip the rope into quickdraw as you go up

      Delete
  16. Sophia,

    I loved how you shared your undying passion for rock climbing, and found it very interesting when you said it was just as much physical as it is mental. It takes courage to admit that you get afraid all the time, and I found it inspiring you can deal with your fears so well. What is your favorite place to climb?

    Best,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete