I have lived my entire life with an older sister. From the moment I was born until now and forever, I will be the younger one. Being the youngest of two has it's benefits such as getting to do almost exactly what I want and being able to control my sister because I could get her in trouble. However, it also has some downsides like not getting all the attention, (more when I was younger) or having to share just about everything. Yet still, not having a sibling of some kind would just get boring eventually because until you were old enough to actually have friends, you wouldn't have anyone to do anything with or talk to.
For my parents, raising a boy and a girl with little age difference is interesting. They try to not insert traditional gender roles(girls wear dresses and like dolls, boys like cars and guns) in their parenting. My sister never really had a Tomboy phase and always liked dolls and dresses. But although I liked to play with trucks, cars and other "boy things", because I was younger and kinda did what my sister did, I was happy and willing to dress up with my sister. When I was younger I would model after my sister because she was the older one and knew more and so on. Also, my dad has always been extremely protective of me and my sister but he says he has always noticed himself being more rough and tumble with me--more than he ever did with my sister. By dad wanted a boy and a girl, but a girl first because he was worried about a big brother being overprotective and not letting the baby sister express herself. But he was still excited for both me and my sister.
I've loved growing up with my sister and always will. And for anyone else who has a sibling, you should cherish it.
Lucky you...you have caring parents and a sister you appreciate. You seem to be a natural writer and I loved the photos you chose to include.
ReplyDeleteNicely written, with some very mature observations on your part.
ReplyDeleteAs the younger sister of an older brother, I can assure you that not ALL older brothers are overprotective.
ReplyDeleteHi Nate, This is Reuven Werber from Etzion Bloc, Israel. I really enjoyed your piece. Liked your thinking about having a sister influenced and what was good and bad about having an older sister. I have 6 children with a 15 year difference between oldest and youngest. They are all grown and married and still enjoy being together. Even their kids love to be with their cousins. Enjoy your family.
ReplyDeleteDear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI liked your piece and can relate in a way because I have a sibling however he is younger. I am the older one and my younger brother and I are very close in age so I liked reading your piece as it is cool to hear what your perspective is. It makes me wonder if my brother feels the same way. I was wondering if you ever wished you were older? Was there something your sister did when you were growing up you liked or that stuck with you?
Keep writing,
Sanne
Dear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed reading your piece of writing because it was very relatable. Having an older sibling has it's ups and downs. It was great to read this because it brought in so many aspects of having an older sibling. How do you think you'd be right now, if you wouldn't have an older sibling (be an only child or the older child).
Great Job,
Adam
Hey Adam, thanks for the comment. I think if I was an only child I would probably be more selfish. And if I was the older child I feel that I would be more responsible because I would be looking out for my little brother/sister.
Delete-Nate
Hi Nate!
ReplyDeleteI really liked your blog post. It was very relatable, even though I am an older sibling. It was interesting to read about a different perspective besides mine. What do you think your life would be like if you were an older sibling instead of a younger one?
- Mikayla
Table of contents: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZgdJOC-uZ04a8AhneO9xICWONfQWW-FQUJgXAIUDjBw/edit#
DeleteDear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI found your piece of writing very interesting and enjoyable. I can completely relate to you because I have an older sibling too. Siblings are extremely important, and it is funny that we both wrote about our sisters! You really captured one of the feelings of being the younger one!
Great blog post!
-Tulip
Nate,
ReplyDeleteI loved how you talked about gender stereotypes in your blog. I can relate to my little sister following me around. Have you ever wished you were the older sibling?
Sincerely,
Zoe
Dear Nate,
ReplyDeleteYour post is a nice memoir of a happy childhood, it is well written and clear though it deals with a complicated subject. My one question for you is, as a young child did you have any pets?
Regards,
William
Thanks for the comment William, and I did have pets. I've had two cats my entire life (pretty much).
DeleteNate,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed reading this post about you and your sister. It really made me reflect o my own siblings, and it had some really good points too. My one question would be did you enjoy playing with your sister more than with trucks and cars? Great work!
Sincerely,
Rachel Y.
Dear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post and pictures. I could relate to what you were saying since I have two younger siblings. My question is, would you prefer if your sister was a brother or if you were older than your sister?
Keep up the great blogging!
From,
Jade :)
Dear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI really liked reading your post, it was very well written. I could relate to this post even though I am the older sibling because my younger sister often would have the same interests as me when we were younger. Are the pictures you chose of you and your sister, or just from the internet?
From,
Riley
Thanks for the comment Riley. Those are actually pictures of me and my sister that I got from my dad.
Delete-Nate
Nate,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post, it really made me think about being an older sibling myself. Have you ever wanted to be the older one? Nice Work!
- Isabel
Dear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed your post and I thought your pictures were really cool. It was fun to read and it really pulled me in.
Great work,
Anushka:)
Dear Nate,
ReplyDeleteI thought your post was really fun to read, and I enjoyed your perspective about growing up with your sister. Even as an only child, I appreciated this post and found it really interesting.
Great job
- Patina
Nate,
ReplyDeleteI love your post, as it is extremely relatable! It was a great read, and I enjoyed hearing your perspective as a younger sibling. I am the middle child, and trust me, having a younger sibling is more a curse than a blessing... Just kidding, I love the little rascal to the moon and back! Do you ever think about being the older sibling?
Best,
-Flexi