Friday, January 29, 2016

My Passion of Heights

My Passion Of Heights


Every since I was little, I have absolutely loved climbing things. A lot of people are afraid of heights, but I find them delightful and exhilarating. I feel like I am on top of the world and can do anything. So in 4th grade, I started rock climbing and am still doing it.
When I am attempting a new wall, I first survey it. What is the level of the wall? Where are all of the holds? What different body positions and grips do I want to work on? I always try to do levels of walls that are challenging and I have to really calculate all of my moves on. But at the same time, I do not want to climb a wall that is overwhelming and I waste my strength on.


When I am trying out a new move, I first try it on a easy level climb and practice it a lot. I sometimes feel embarrassed if I slip and fall when first attempting it. So I try it out away from people and humiliation.
Sometimes at the rock climbing gym, I feel peer pressure to do a certain climb that I am not comfortable climbing. Especially with bouldering. Bouldering is a type of rock climbing that you do not wear a harness on. Usually I will say, “Sorry that climb is a bit above my level. I will try to work up to it,” or I will give it a go and ask for someone to spot me so I don’t fall and hurt myself. I never like refusing a climb that someone recommends because I feel like they are disappointed in me.
Once, when trying out for a rock climbing team, I broke my knee in the middle of a very hard climb and started crying. I asked for a break and the belayer tightened the rope so I hung in the air. I took a shaky breath and looked down. My friends were giving me the thumbs up. If I was lowered down, I would not make it on the team. I was determined to finish this climb. But how? My vision started going blurry and I was panicking. Focus. Survey. Formulate a plan. But I had to get through this. I swung back onto the wall and started hopping up the wall. Before every move, I looked up and down to get footing. After 5 more agonizing minutes. I reached the top. I pumped my fist. I did it! The belayer lowered me down and she said,” Congratulations."


Rock climbing has become a part of my identity. It’s who I am. I hope to continue rock climbing as I get older. Rock walls are like life. As you ascend through it, there will be challenges and bumps. But eventually, you make it to the top.


Interesting Links:


Sources:

16 comments:

  1. Dear Jade,
    I really liked your writing! I loved how you talked a lot about how you felt it really made me think. I love heights as well however am not a huge climber but love climbing trees. I find it so cool how you survey what your going to climb! Seems like a great strategy. I was amazed how you broke your knee in a climb but took a breath and kept going. Did you make the team? When did you chose to try out for climbing?
    Keep up the hard work and have fun,
    Sanne ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear jade, I loved your story, it really made me want to read more! I love all of the descriptive adjectives you used. It was a real cliff hanger (haha get it?) but I really would like to know if you made the team!
    from,
    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Jade!
    I really enjoyed reading your blog post. I was surprised that you broke your knee but kept going! That takes a lot of bravery and strength! Do you think that you might want to be a professional rock climber?
    - Mikayla

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jade,
    Amazing job on this blog post! It was very well worded and the words you used really stood out! I love how you added a personal touch and made it about something you love to do! I also loved that you revealed this fun hobby of yours and ended your piece by relating it to life! It would be great to know if you made the team and how you got into rock climbing.
    Love, Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Jade,
    Great job writing this blog post! This post surprised me because I didn't even know you liked to climb, and these stratigies you have for climbing are extremely valuable for other climbing experiences you might have later in life. What walls have you climbed in the past? Is there a favorite place that you like to climb? Once again, Amazing work!
    Sincerely,
    Rachel Y.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jade,
    Nice job on your blog post! Your story really made me felt connected even though I am not a rock climber. I loved how you first gave a little information about you and rock climbing and then you jumped right into the story. I can't believe you broke your knee in the middle of a climb and kept on going! That takes a lot of strength and endurance:). One question I have for you is where do you usually climb? Also, do you ever rock climb outside or do you only rock climb inside a building? Again great job on your blog post!
    Kyra

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jade,
    I really liked your writing and how you told stories of your personal experience. I felt connected to your story when you broke your knee but kept going (I broke my wrist in basketball, but still played the rest of the game). I would like to know if you made the team, but have you ever thought about being a professional rock climber?
    Amazing work!
    Mara

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Jade,
    What a inspiring story! It shows the depth of human determination when confronted with a problem that, though hard when solved will get you a reward. My one question is, do you mountain climb?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Jade,
    I liked how you said that rock climbing is a part of your identity. I feel the same way with soccer being part of my identity. I think it is really amazing that you managed to finish your climb with a broken knee! How did you discover that rock climbing is your passion?
    Nice post!
    Thea T

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jade,

    Your post was really well written and interesting. I thought it was really inspirational how you were able to finish the climb with a broken knee! That showed a lot of perseverance and determination. I like to rock climb even though I am not on a team, so I liked hearing about how you liked it so much. Do you have a favorite place to climb?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Jade!
    I really liked your blogpost! I thought that finishing the climb with a broken knee was very persevering. Why do you love climbing so much? Nice Work!
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jade,
    I really like your post! I am very scared of heights and I think it's really awesome how it doesn't phase you at all. I loved reading about your determination finishing the climb with a broken knee?!
    Good work,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Jade,
    I really liked your simile at the end of the post! I think it tells a lot about strength and determination. My question is, did you know about rock climbing before 4th grade?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Jade,
    I really liked how talked about what goes through your head before you climb. I also really liked how you told a story about how you reached your goal!
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dear Jade
    I really liked your post, ideas, and especially your story at the end. I loved your will to try so hard for what you wanted! I also related to loving heights. Great post and continue rock-climbing!
    - Patina

    ReplyDelete
  16. Unknown,

    What a great title! It's a clever play on "my fear of heights!" I loved the post, ideas, the story at the end, and the ever burning flame inside you, fueling you to work hard and live out your passion! When did you start climbing?

    Don't fall,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete