Friday, January 29, 2016

It's not all about winning

  During my time as a two-sports athlete I have learned skills for both ice hockey and baseball but also for life.  A message that was almost always said to me was "It's not all about winning."  I almost never got this through my brain without thinking "Why do I play sports then if it's not about winning."  Looking back on this I realize that at ages 6-9 playing recreational soccer with my friends I  shouldn't have been worried about winning at all.  In physical education class, I used to get mad at what I thought were "bad calls."  About midway through sixth grade, I started loosening up in P.E. and, to my surprise, started having a lot more fun.
(I had to blur the logo)


       In 5th grade, I got average grades and I was happy with them.  I don't know why but when I transitioned to Middle School and 6th grade I used the competitive nature I learned from sports and started doing well in school getting better scores on assignments and tests.  I also started having better time management because I had to balance year-round baseball, hockey, and the seemingly never-ending pile of homework from 6th grade (which is almost nothing compared to 7th grade).  When I transitioned to 7th grade I had to be even better at managing my time because of the increased homework load.

       One of the main things that I have learned is to always know that someone is better than me.  Whether it is in school or sports.  When I came into this baseball season I thought that my throwing motion was really good and that I threw hard.  I started an arm care/velocity program and saw some of the other kids on my team that threw 5 miles per hour harder than me.  When I got a 98% on a math test last year I thought that I had the best score but someone got a 103% (they got handicap points) the reality hit me that someone is always better than myself.  

20 comments:

  1. Dear Kellen,
    Your writing about how someone was always better then you was very touching. I thought that it was cool that you play both hockey and basketball. I would like to know if the baseball and hockey seasons overlap? -B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Braden,
      First off, thank you for reading my blog post. It makes me feel good that somebody is taking time to look at my work. To answer your question, baseball and hockey season kind of overlap. No games overlap, but off season training for baseball overlaps with regular season hockey.
      Once again thank you for reading my post,
      Kellen

      Delete
    2. Dear Kellen,
      I love the pictures in your post, they really help illustrate the post. I also like the touch of reality on your work. So I have one question, how do you juggle all your extra activities?
      -Sean

      Delete
  2. Kellen,

    I can really relate to you! I have been playing competitive soccer for over five years! I'm so happy that your grades have been going up. One question is: why did you stop playing soccer?

    Keep on blogging!
    - Noah

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Noah,
      Thank you for reading my post. I stopped playing soccer because I started playing year round baseball. I hope this answers your question.
      From,
      Kellen

      Delete
  3. Dear Kellen,
    I enjoyed reading your post because it has many great morals within it. It's interesting to hear that you can connect something such as hockey and baseball to school, and do much better after the time you've spent in the sports competitive nature. Do you think your improvement is thankful solely to sport or also the maturing of your brain?
    -Adam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Kellen,
    I liked reading your blog post. As a person that has many activities I can really relate to your need for good time management. A thing I'm wondering is do you think you'll ever have to stop baseball or hockey because of school work?
    -nate

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Kellen,
    I liked your blog post on how you wrote about the two sports you participate in and how they connect to school and life for you. I thought it was a lot to juggle skiing and school but think it is cool how you adapted your schedule and competitive nature to your sports, school, and life. Do you enjoy both sports the same? Do you think you might have to stop one sport?
    Keep writing,
    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Kellen,
    As a person in 7th grade I can relate to the hard task of time management. It is especially difficult when you have to miss school but if you manage your time welI you will not get behind. I really liked you blog post and how you connected time management to sports. One question I have for you is what skills do you use to manage your time well?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Kellen,
    Your article supports your compelling argument with lots of evidence as well as personal experience, it represents one of the major problems that middle schoolers are confronted with, how good is good? My one question for you is, of the two sports which do you like the best?
    Sincerely,
    William

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kellen,
    I really liked reading this blog post. It was cool to read about how you balanced time in school with your time in sports. The fact of you doing well in school and sports does have to do with time management, and I'm glad you got better at that. My one question would be out of all the sports you do, what's your year-round favorite?
    Keep up the good blogging!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Kellen,

    I enjoyed reading your blog post, it was well written and relatable. I like how you chose a topic that was very personal, and since most kids in 7th grade do sports on top of school, most people can relate to this. Do you prefer one sport over the other?

    From,
    Riley

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kellen,
    I liked reading your blog post. I could really relate to it. Do you like baseball or hockey more? Well done
    - Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Kellen,
    I thought I could relate to your post a lot. I am very competitive and I play 3 sports. Which sport do you prefer?
    Great post,
    Anushka:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dear Kellen,
    I like how you related to post to yourself, and your post shows how you put a lot of thought into it. My question is, when did you start playing the sports?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi all that have commented,
    I've noticed that most of you have asked the question "what sport do you prefer?" The answer is that it depends on the season. Fall/Winter it's hockey and Spring/Summer it's baseball.
    Thank's,
    Kellen

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dear Kellen,
    I really liked how you talked about how playing sports helped you do better in school! My question to you is how long have you been playing baseball?
    -Emma

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Kellen,
    really cool post- I loved how you talked about how sports have helped you do better in school, and how you've changed your perspective of winning, sports, and life in general as you've grown up. My question would be what made you change your perspective, or did it just happen naturally with age?

    Good job
    - Patina

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kellen,

    Wow, what an amazing post! It was incredibly inspiring to hear sports have helped you do better in school, and how you've changed your perspective of winning, sports, and life in general as you've grown up. What is your favourite sport?

    Game on,

    -Flexi

    ReplyDelete